Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

Structural there are no big changes. Beside the tilting cab, the width of the winch is grown from 3 to five studs to have more space for rope. other changes are simply for easier assembling and the rotating mechanism has a bigger gear ratio.

here you can find the already done instruction steps. On flickr the pictures are bad sorted. Please follow the title number. The instruction for the boom is not made yet. when the instruction is done i will make a pdf version.

15972326551_e327e4d5b9_z.jpg

Edited by efferman

How to attach the cable for the third party of the boom ?

Oups, an error in my question, how to attach a return cable for the third party ? I try ... but no result !

The boom is finished and the turret too.

I'm building the truck, arrived at page 47 i take few seconds to understand why the 20T on page 27 get an arrow... Now I know.

At this time, I don't find any error in instructions, it's a very good good good work. I will print them on A3 because they're really beautiful. I will use a render posted previously here as first page.

I take a real pleasure to build it and to understand how everything was designed for a perfect integration.

Edited by shreckbull

The boom is finished and the turret too.

I'm building the truck, arrived at page 47 i take few seconds to understand why the 20T on page 27 get an arrow... Now I know.

At this time, I don't find any error in instructions, it's a very good good good work. I will print them on A3 because they're really beautiful. I will use a render posted previously here as first page.

I take a real pleasure to build it and to understand how everything was designed for a perfect integration.

Hi shreckbull,

It's glad that you have pleasure with the building, I take a lot of value to make all steps as clear as possible.

Yes, the arrow for the 20T gear means that you have to place it first, then it's easier to assemble the axle. It's difficult enough to assemble the axles correctly with all the gears, axles and the right steering angles.

Please wait with the printing, I'll publish the final instructions tomorrow or next day, the pages are ready, blakbird has made new renders that I've just to make the cover page. The updated instructions contain lots of notes and additional informations.

Greetings

Alex

Efferman, do you think it is possible to brick build a LA to use with your upper carriage and boom? I really like your upper carriage, but prefer a purist creation.

It's done!

The final instructions are online now:

http://www.bricksafe.com/files/afol1969/Instructions/GMK6400_1.2.pdf

http://www.bricksafe...ons/GMK6400.mpd

A monster mammout project, and I'm really relieved that I've finalized it :classic:

And thanks to all who gave me the motivation to keep on.

And a next instruction project is already on work. And yes, I still have time to eat and sleep :laugh:

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Very nice! :) Time to start planning some Bricklinking :)

Edit: Seems to be a single 60483 in light grey in the listing for the superstructure. Should this be LBG?

Edited by Freppe77

Edit: Seems to be a single 60483 in light grey in the listing for the superstructure. Should this be LBG?

Yes, I've seen it now, the original CAD file contained some parts in LG which I've corrected in LBG. So I've not seen that I forgot one part. I'll change it and make an update, but I wait some time, maybe there are some other errors in the instructions, ore some suggestions I can add.

Greetings

Alex

i think i have an idea

edit: a rough sketch

15367899334_49922a7394_z.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of not using lego LAs but instead making a large one from bricks. Though this may also work

I was thinking more along the lines of not using lego LAs but instead making a large one from bricks. Though this may also work

There are plenty of MOCs that do this using rack gears, so it is certainly possible.

Does anyone know if the partslist on Bricksafe is up-to-date with the latest version?

Not sure, but personally I used the mpd posted by afol1969 to create a private MOC on rebrickable. Once you have it there it is easy to export the parts list to various formats. Just had to fix a few color errors and parts that rebrickable did not recognize (like the PF stuff and the 2444 that was named 2444b in the mpd).

during making the instruction i have searched for information and found the size of the counterweight baseplate. Made a rough mockup and made a test

15385165373_a4cf7a3271_z.jpg

in relation to the scale the width is nearly exact. Only the distance from turntable center to the end of the counterweight is 2 or 3 studs to short.

should i include this into the instruction when i have finished the baseplate?

Edited by efferman

Great work guys, can't wait to see this appear on Rebrickable :) A lot of people are anxiously awaiting the final instructions + parts list, myself included :laugh: But take your time!

should i include this into the instruction when i have finished the baseplate?

If you have come up with a correct scale counterweight, by all means please include it in the instructions.

Not sure, but personally I used the mpd posted by afol1969 to create a private MOC on rebrickable. Once you have it there it is easy to export the parts list to various formats. Just had to fix a few color errors and parts that rebrickable did not recognize (like the PF stuff and the 2444 that was named 2444b in the mpd).

In a complex work like this crane it is possible that the instructions still contain some errors, if you find some, please give me information that I can correct them. For extra parts that are not included in the officiel LDRAW part list, please see in this folder on bricksafe: http://www.bricksafe... flexible Parts

There you can download the .dat files and copy them in the LDRAW list.

this project evolves to quickly there might never be full up to date instructions :grin:

I think so. It may be an never ending story :laugh: I'm looking forward to efferman's result and the instructions. For my part, my work is done at the moment, but in next month I'll make the modification with the Firgelli actuator. When successful, I'll add it to the instructions.

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

the half counterweight is done. the final counterweight will have space for 10 additional AA batteries (without batt box)

15825448047_7767b716f3_z.jpg

opinions?

Edited by efferman

Does this have a support vehicle to carry the extra bits like the counterweights? (I know I'm opening up a huge can of worms here)