Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

Hi,

I've now finally finished the LPUB instructions, all pictures are in 300dpi, and I've created a pdf file: http://www.bricksafe...GMK6400_1.2.pdf

Update:

The instructions are in two parts: carrier and superstructure.

The instructions for a 4-channel RC-Unit you can download here: http://www.bricksafe...ons/RC_Unit.pdf

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Thanks again, superb work. Does this mean that it is ready to be published on rebrickable or will that have to wait for the definitive version?

Thanks again, superb work. Does this mean that it is ready to be published on rebrickable or will that have to wait for the definitive version?

It is the definitive build Version, so it can be uploaded on Rebrickable, all part lists should be correct. Notice that I had to make separate part lists because of the amount of parts. I know most of you better like it to have a complete list in .bsx format. To do this requires additional work, and after a monster project like this I had no more nerve to do it.

The final version of instructions will just have additional notes and photos. I'll publish it at the end of the month.

Greetings

Alex

It is the definitive build Version, so it can be uploaded on Rebrickable, all part lists should be correct. Notice that I had to make separate part lists because of the amount of parts. I know most of you better like it to have a complete list in .bsx format. To do this requires additional work, and after a monster project like this I had no more nerve to do it.

The final version of instructions will just have additional notes and photos. I'll publish it at the end of the month.

Greetings

Alex

Excellent, looking forward to the rebrickable submission as well, this is sure to be a very nice build (and also a very nice set of bricklink orders) :classic:

I decided to do a quick test to see what kind of fictional actuator it would take to make the boom motion realistic. By moving the rotation point forward to the furthest axle hole on the superstructure and moving the attachment point to the boom to a scale location, the following pictures show the ideal actuator. It would be about 50 studs long and have a stroke of at least 15 studs.

Of course there is no such actuator so it was just an exercise. On the other hand, I thought I would see what it looked like with a Firgelli actuator. It would actually work almost perfect, albeit with a low boom attach point. However, this solution would eliminate the need for one of the L motors and the associated gearing.

800x138.jpg

Any solution that moved the rotation point of the actuators forward like this would also greatly increase the stiffness of the raised boom.

Neat .... Now, in 8421, Lego solved the issue by putting two pneumatic actuators back to back. Granted this might be difficult with LA's, .... but if someone can come up with a clever contraption, that'll do it.

Edited by DrJB

Neat .... Now, in 8421, Lego solved the issue by putting two pmeumatic actuators back to back. Granted this might be difficult with LA's, .... but if someone can come up with a clever contraption, that'll do it.

Yeb, a inserting axle through a new style red 8 tooth gear. :classic:

Hi,

I've now finally finished the LPUB instructions, all pictures are in 300dpi, and I've created a pdf file: http://www.bricksafe...9/grove6400.pdf

The instructions are in three parts: carrier, superstructure and remote control unit.

It's not the definitive version, I've to add pictures and text notes. But at the moment I've not the time to continue, because I've to go to an exposition next days.

But at the end of month I'll upload the final version. If the instructions contain still errors, please tell me that I can correct them. Any further suggestions are welcome :classic:

Greetings

Alex

This is really good work. Cant wait to build this crane.

One question to your part list in your pdf. Till now i didnt find an answer.

Is this the whole partlist? Or the additional partlist based on the 42009?

Yeb, a inserting axle through a new style red 8 tooth gear. :classic:

Can you do an LXF to illustrate?

Hi there....

I'm working on adding the extended boom to my stock 42009 set using the instructions here:

http://www.bricksafe.../Boom 42009.pdf and/or from this MOC here to reverse engineer and figure out what parts I need. Being a total novice, and as neither has a bricklink parts list, i'm working my way backwards towards figuring out what extra parts I need. Apart from the gears which seem impossible to be sure which is correct from the pics in the instructions, the only other piece I just can't find for the life of me is pictured in Alex's instructions in this Grove 6400 MOC....3rd column from the right, 2nd part down that requires 8 pieces....it's a light bluish gray 3 way connector piece. I just can't find this at all in the bricklink catalogue. Could anyone please point me in the right direction on the part # for this piece.

Thanks in advance for any help someone could provide and also any pointers if there's a better way to figure this stuff out.

SIncerely

Steph

http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=44809

...Thanks Alex -> is that really the same piece? The picture from your instructions looks totally different than that piece you linked. Just want to make sure before I place an order.

Any tips on figuring out which gear is which from your 42009 boom instructions?

Cheers

steph

What am I doing wrong here?

These gears collide:

Does it collide with the 1x3 cross block? If so, I had the same problem. But there isn't any solution, I've already tried to eliminate the problem. But with moving/pressing axles and gears you can at least solve it, that the gear only collide very little that has no influence by driving. Or you go there and cut some material from the cross block.

@stephpar: to be sure, make a print screen and show me which piece it is. But myself I noticed that the 2x2 plate with hole (2444) is shown like a simple 2x2 plate... and I haven't found how to show it visible like the right part

See here:

2444.jpg

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

You could try to replace the part with 10247, that's a newer mold.

As a bonus, the image of it makes it easier to distinguish between the single and the double bearing plate (or between single- and a plate with no bearing holes at all...)

You could try to replace the part with 10247, that's a newer mold.

As a bonus, the image of it makes it easier to distinguish between the single and the double bearing plate (or between single- and a plate with no bearing holes at all...)

That 10247 is shown in the same angle, so no chance. I modified the angle to 180° from the 2444, saved to 2444b.dat and now it's shown with the hole on upper side :classic:

I'll include it in the instructions update.

Greetings

Alex

This may be a stupid question, but I have to ask since I'm quite curious. Is there any way to generate the instructions so that the item ID of each part is included in the parts list?

This may be a stupid question, but I have to ask since I'm quite curious. Is there any way to generate the instructions so that the item ID of each part is included in the parts list?

No, that is not a stupid question :sweet: . It would be very helpful if there is a possibility to create parts list with ID's in LPUB. You can only find the ID while opening an LDRAW file with LPUB, and point the mouse on it. Then it pops up the ID number. But for that you need the CAD file with the BOM command to show the part list.

Greetings

Alex

No, that is not a stupid question :sweet: . It would be very helpful if there is a possibility to create parts list with ID's in LPUB. You can only find the ID while opening an LDRAW file with LPUB, and point the mouse on it. Then it pops up the ID number. But for that you need the CAD file with the BOM command to show the part list.

Greetings

Alex

Thanks for the answer, too bad that its not possible to get in the instructions.

It is possible that the parts list is incomplete on page 77 ?? I think that there are 4 motors needed, 2 of both...if I read the instructions correctly? Further more, thanks for this great delivery in instrcutions and so on

It is possible that the parts list is incomplete on page 77 ?? I think that there are 4 motors needed, 2 of both...if I read the instructions correctly?

Damn! See it, there must be an error in the CAD file. Thanks for the indication, I'll make it on the list of corrections to do.

Greetings

Alex

Sigh. Sometimes it is really frustrating having no talent.....

Recently I received the 3D printed linear actuator that Efferman designed. It is huge and powerful and perfect in scale to replace the PF linear actuators in this model. The problem is, I can't figure out how to properly mount it or get power to it. I've mocked up the actuator in LDraw along with a more representative attach location. The trick is to get the power from the pair of bevel gears further back to the single bevel gear at the actuator, and also to brace the support axle for the tremendous weight of the boom. Jurgen and Gerger are clearly 100x (conservative estimate) better than me at this stuff. I've posted the LDraw file. Anyone with skill care to take a crack at it?

800x600.jpg

Eric, it is not enough to get the power to the actuator, the rotating point of the boom has to moved backward like on the picture to use the full actuator length. because i have the actuator i should make a new uppercarriage for the grove.

15699428659_66ac4bb71e_z.jpg

Edited by efferman