I was just watching a video about pinewood derby and it hit me... Why dont we make such races in Lego?

And we can judge cars by performance, looks, originality, creativity, etc...

We could standarize ramps so anyone can race at home and we can compare times.

What do you guys think?

What scale do you suggest?

i think that "braking system" should be a subject of judgment as well xD

gravity cars actually are really interesting :)

The LEGO store in Downtown Disney has something like this set up. Part selection is rather limited, especially when it comes to wheels (I think they were all wheel hubs without tires). You can see a picture here: http://ocmomblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/legoraces4.jpg

The cars are lined up at the top and stopped by something that looks like a rake. The store employee then lifts up the rake and the cars take off. If I recall correctly heavier cars tended to go down faster and in a more straight line.

This is most fun if you have many competitors in one place. It means the cars are run under the same conditions, which will not be the case if everyone has to build their own ramp and time the run with a chronometer.

/edited for typos

Edited by BusterHaus

We are doing that here in Spain. Search for: HispaLUG LEGO Rampa Loca. There is a system, like the one used in tenis championships or football world cup on which players are eliminated until there is a final race and somebody wins. We compete for the longest distance (a part that flies counts, as long as it wasn't specifically designed to disasemble itself, but it started flying a in crash). We also have "beauty contests". There is a need for at least two wheels (one is not allowed) and some kind of human looking thing (mini, micro, technic or brickbuilt figure).

Edited by PROlego

I am totally against it! You have no way to ensure that nobody tries to cheat by adding a superconducting magnet stolen from the LHC to the car and therefore accidently creating a kind of warp drive and by that discovering alien life that will demand to create another warp drive and holds the people of earth at gunpoint for that *breath* ...

You have obviously watched too much south park Balrog :tongue:

With Lowlug meetings we also used to organise such races, called wacky races. There we would measure the greatest distance, prettiest vehicle and prettiest crash. At some point the fun was over when people started to use flywheel constructions etc. to get as far as possible. However from a technical perspective this might make the game more interesting though.

Anyway, when distance is measured, the game is pretty hard to cheat on :wink:

I am totally against it! You have no way to ensure that nobody tries to cheat by adding a superconducting magnet stolen from the LHC to the car and therefore accidently creating a kind of warp drive and by that discovering alien life that will demand to create another warp drive and holds the people of earth at gunpoint for that *breath* ...

I think Balrog is right...

You have obviously watched too much south park Balrog :tongue:

I think Balrog is right...

I agree with Balrog, its just too risky.

:iamded_lol:

Edited by Balrog

Sure, turn on the new guy... :sceptic:

:tongue:

Sorry I should have cropped the quote. The joke was all about the joke :D

Ok all jokes aside, I think this "could" be a cool idea. But, I don't think you can create an equal challenge if people are not in the same place.

I know the Lego outlet near me has a racetrack like this. Problem is, there are/were two pullback motors in the parts bins. anyone with those easily won. Also, for distance, it seems the best design has always been just a single wheel.

They also have these events for the Kids at Lego Kidsfest....

Baby-Fark_McGeezax.jpeg

My friends and I used to build cars and race them down our front porches using aluminum siding panels/channeling. Rules were no lego boat weights allowed. This was over 20+ years ago, lol.