ch_ris127

The Final Defense [Free Build - Noctornus]

...Well I'm back, I suppose? :look:

It's been almost a year since I've last visited Historica, and it's only lately that I got time to play around with bigger builds again.

Here's a build I made for a local community exhibition last week, and I thought it'd fit right in as a Noctornus free-build :grin:

14928555447_181dab39b6_z.jpg

In an effort to keep a Royal Elvan heiress away from the grasp of the Scythe Lord, Dartan and his group of ragtag Nocturnian warriors have moved back to the outskirts of Nocturnus to an abandoned inn overrun by the forest growth. He knew the risks of accepting the job, but nothing had prepared him for the sudden attack when the Scythe Lord and his henchmen caught up with the group. The battle soon descended into what will become the final defense for Dartan and his group.

14928513948_48b6bb0072_z.jpg

Jumping into battle

15092110686_6cab60d00f_z.jpg14928432590_58940bd781.jpg

The setting place and details of the abandoned inn.

This time I tried experimenting with a different tree build, using plates instead of the usual brick arch to create a more organic form. Unfortunately though, I ran out of leaves in the end; if the tree looks somewhat bald to you, you can chalk it up to that reason. :sceptic:

15114725552_cac79a8433.jpg

Dartan and his group

Left to Right: The Elven heiress, Dartan and his loyal wolf Rayan, Steel Horn the Minotaur, and Tyreel the Fox.

I'll probably be making another MOC with this band :grin: I'm really digging Furty's head (from Chima) for a character.

14928438560_423c7fbc1d.jpg

Scythe Lord and his henchmen

---------------------------------------------------

Well that's it for now. What do you think of it? :sweet:

Nice build! I like the second floor which heightens the diorama in an nice way and balances nicely with the height of the tree.

The use of black for the tree is particular nice, set's a nice touch to the scene. Perhaps i could have used a little more foliage.. or You could have concentrated the "green" to one/two still living branch/es and let the rest be dead.?

The abandoned building is great but what I like most is the minifig posing, the guy who is going to hit the taurus running away from him at 1st pic.Its great posing!

What a great build! I really like the way the tree turned out, but I would say the minifig combos and posing are the absolute highlight here as they are superb.

Awesome scene, very Nocturnus-ness! Interesting idea with the tree, and the ruins are top notch. Like Gunman said, the fig posing and action depicted in this build really look good. Nice job!

Nice work, I like the ruins and the plants (horns) growing out of the ground work really well! :thumbup: Nice use of the fox head as well!

The abandoned building is great but what I like most is the minifig posing, the guy who is going to hit the taurus running away from him at 1st pic.Its great posing!

The minotaur isn't running away from anyone... that's his comrade with a sword raised behind him!

Very cool piece, I love the ruined look of the building, all the little details in it... great posing and characters, too! Nice use of the Furty head and torso (I love Furty's torso, there are too few "leather/cloth"-type torsos of there; I've got 5 Furty torsos on various figures now)

Nice, I like the abandoned feel you get! Cool tree as well!

Thank you :sweet:

Nice build! I like the second floor which heightens the diorama in an nice way and balances nicely with the height of the tree.

The use of black for the tree is particular nice, set's a nice touch to the scene. Perhaps i could have used a little more foliage.. or You could have concentrated the "green" to one/two still living branch/es and let the rest be dead.?

Thanks! I did run out of leaves while building and just assumed that it didn't have that much leaves in the first place, hahaha.

The second idea about making the tree look more dead is nice :grin: I should try it out next time! Thanks for the suggestion :sweet:

Thanks :sweet: But uh, the minotaur isn't running away from him, hahaha. It's probably a bit unclear due to the camera angle :grin:

Nice worn down landscape there..!

The texturing and foliage is class :) love everything about it! :)

Thanks a lot, guys :laugh:

Awesome MOC and the minifigs are amazing. Scythe Lord looks super cool for antagonist. :thumbup:

Thanks! I'm planning to make another MOC featuring Scythe Lord. It's not fair for him to just appear at the corner of the scene with his back to the camera, hahaha :laugh:

What a great build! I really like the way the tree turned out, but I would say the minifig combos and posing are the absolute highlight here as they are superb.

Awesome scene, very Nocturnus-ness! Interesting idea with the tree, and the ruins are top notch. Like Gunman said, the fig posing and action depicted in this build really look good. Nice job!

Thanks a lot! Glad the minifigs and scenes came through; minifig posing surely is one of the funnest part of building.

Nice work, I like the ruins and the plants (horns) growing out of the ground work really well! :thumbup: Nice use of the fox head as well!

Thank you!

The minotaur isn't running away from anyone... that's his comrade with a sword raised behind him!

Very cool piece, I love the ruined look of the building, all the little details in it... great posing and characters, too! Nice use of the Furty head and torso (I love Furty's torso, there are too few "leather/cloth"-type torsos of there; I've got 5 Furty torsos on various figures now)

Thanks! And you're right about that minotaur :tongue:

I agree about the leather/cloth torso; that's also what's so great about that minifig :grin:

Wow, 5 Furty torsos :oh: Do you have the pictures of how they're used? It'll be real cool to take a look at em :excited:

Awesome build. Love the tree, will have to try that technique. I also have to admire your figs. I pride myself on creating interesting figs (especially my pirate crew, if I do say so myself) and love to see CHIMA in GoH builds. That said, isn't Furty a lady?!

Great way to re-enter the fray! The mostly demolished building looks excellent, though the tree looks kind of funky with the wide trunk and skinny branches.

Wow, 5 Furty torsos :oh: Do you have the pictures of how they're used? It'll be real cool to take a look at em :excited:

Sure! I still don't even own "a" Furty, I just jumped on getting a few torsos at a decent price on BrickLink awhile ago...

Here's my "Furty Bunch":

15124416682_4cf6cd3c36.jpg

A dual-wielding sword rogue, a dwarf warrior wearing chain mail under his leather armor, a greedy highwayman, a goblin redcap, and a half-orc Wolfpack fighter

Edit: whoops! I had six torsos after all! I made this guy as part of a group of space pirates several weeks ago.

Edited by Venkefedo

Very cool abandoned atmosphere you created here!! The minifig placing is also excellent :)

Congratz on your photography skills as well! The presentation is absolutely super :)

Great MOC! As others have said, love the abandoned look that you managed to get.The crumbling walls are awesome!

Excellent Nocty landscape, the dark tan tail pieces work nicely :thumbup: Very good ruins as well. The tree looks a little sparse and spindly, but it works pretty well with the rest of the scene.

Glad to have you back in GoH :classic: