Building trucks and trailers and occasionally earth moving equipment I switched a little. Not to boats or minifig scale or what so ever, no I build a race truck.

My dark ages ended by an attempt to build a model equal to those available by Tamyia. Yeah, I know, this might sound weird, but at that moment I didn't have any clue. So I installed 4 RC Buggy motors in a single none steered 4x4 vehicle. Obviously all build with LEGO® parts, so don't be confused.

All four RC Buggy motors hooked up to a single RC Race Buggy Battery / Receiver Unit, and that went totally wrong. First I had no longer forward motion and after a while no reverse either. Yes I burned out that Receiver unit. Never did I realize a single stalled RC Buggy motor requires 3A times 4 means 12A. Probably this exceeds the limits of the RC Buggy Receiver Unit.

This I just share to give you an idea why I am interested in this RC Buggy electronics. I entirely let go of the idea I could build a LEGO® model as strong and fast as for example the Tamyia Wild Willy I had for many years. This "real" RC I bought with my saving money at the age of 12.

Alright, now back to this model. It all started with an idea of building a race truck about two or maybe even three years ago. The initial design was supposed to be more "funny" then a serious model. In time this approach changed and I really looked into racing trucks. There are so many nice LEGO® build race truck models out there I had to compete :-)

PICT00.jpg

Model "Truck T10" is build with LEGO® in scale 1:17,5 and is motorized using RC Racer Buggy components. It is not build after a specific brand or type of truck. This build represents an imaginary race truck which is strongly inspired by Mike Ryan's "Banks Freightliner Super Turbo Pikes Peak Truck".

Another custom design that comes with building instructions and inventory/parts list!

Features: independent front suspension, drag axle rear suspension, propulsion by two RC Racer Buggy motors, remotely controlled driving and steering, openable doors, openable hood, modeled engine and cabin interior.

This model is meant to be an appetizer for those who already own one of these original LEGO® sets: 8366, 8367 or 8475. For this model/project both the RC Race Buggy Battery / Receiver Unit and a truck design are combined.

Basically the rear chassis consists out of two RC Race Buggy motors, a frame that holds them together. This frame also holds a wheely bar and the spoiler with its support structure.

The front axle suspension is a double acting system with a mixture of the suspension parts used in sets 8466 en 8297 with a total of four soft shock absorbers.

This model's detailed engine is based on Mike Ryan's Super-Turbo engine setup which is built around a 14.0L Detroit Diesel Series DD60 six cylinder inline semi truck engine. Introduced in 2001 this 14 liter (854 cu in) engine has a power output up to 575 hp and a maximum torque of 1,850. These numbers where not enough to label it as a race truck, so it had to be souped up and that is where Banks Power came in.

Cheers, Ingmar Spijkhoven

PICT02.JPG

PICT00b.JPG

PICT01a.JPG

PICT06.JPG

PICT04.JPG

PICT08.JPG

Very impressive, especially for a model with long, heavy cabin, which must have made it difficult to distribute enough weight to the rear wheels. I like the colors, too, and the details on the cabin's sides :) Any idea what's the top speed?

Edited by Sariel

What a fast little beauty! Though i have to wonder how heavy the brick built cab is and its effect on performance.

P.S. RIP RC unit... You got any spare left?

Thanks to all to start with!!! Great that you like it that much and I want you to know that building it was so much fun!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Because of the question asked I started weighting first. The model fully build up is 1160 gram. Removing the cabine, hood and front bumper leafs a weight of 800 gram. This means the weight of the brick build parts is 360 gram.

@piterx, Thanks and yes I tried some new video editing ideas, great that you like them!!! :classic:

@darsedz, I can surly tell you it is. It is fast, much faster then any truck I ever build. In side the house it is fun, but quite a bit to fast, outside is great fun. Also because it has suspension, it does not damage easily... :wink:

Very impressive, especially for a model with long, heavy cabin, which must have made it difficult to distribute enough weight to the rear wheels. I like the colors, too, and the details on the cabin's sides :) Any idea what's the top speed?

Well I think you just revealed why I didn't have that many difficulties distribute enough weight to the rear wheels. It is long, but because of that there is also quite a lot of weight distributed to the back of the model. Compared to your Scania, where this was an issue, the centre of gravity is quite okay.

About the top speed, no I have no idea. Unfortunatally I do not have a LEGO® speedometer. BTW, no footage in the video was speeded up, only slowed down once in a while :laugh:

Really nice model!

Too sad that I just sold my 8366 Supersonic RC :hmpf_bad:

Yes, it is!!! :blush: I understand because just having the set wasn't that much fun, I know. Building a model yourself with it on the other hand is so much fun I experienced... Well you get over it some day... :grin:

What a fast little beauty! Though i have to wonder how heavy the brick built cab is and its effect on performance.

P.S. RIP RC unit... You got any spare left?

I replied to your first "wonder" in the top of this reply, let me try to answer the other half :wink:

The model is not even that much faster without the brick build parts, if it is any faster at all. What is influenced are A) the acceleration and B) the life time of the batteries. Never the less does it perform well, and maybe sometime I can borrow a speedometer to find out how fast it is...

@Milan, thanks, I like the shape of it too and yes, the speed is very nice!!! :wink:

@Rishab, yes it is isn't it? Thanks for the kind words as well!

Racing trucks are incredible, sub 13-seccond 1/4 mile times in real life, and traction to spare. Scary cool :devil:

Racing trucks are incredible, sub 13-seccond 1/4 mile times in real life, and traction to spare. Scary cool :devil:

Well this one takes a little more for a 1/4 mile, never the less it also quite fast, well at least for a LEGO model... :laugh:

Nice to see that you pucked up this project again. A couple of years ago I saw this type of model standing on your desk.

Very colorful and good looks. Colors are great as well and I really like the tryangle shape of the stripes on the back side of the cab.

I looks really fast. I have a speed computer somewhere. When you come to my house this year I will look it up for you.

Great work as always. looking forward seeing the truck IRL.

Nice! I like the "framework" on the rear of the truck and the colors are great.

v/r

Andy

Ouch! That's a beauty. Could you enter this in the model team contest? What a nice official set that would be, it's great with the motors and a good video. Love the slow motion. A fine build. Hall of fame for me.

H :thumbup:

Surprisingly fast for such mass of bricks:)

Great design+fun performance. Glad to see such fun project from sonserios scale-car builder;)

It looks great - very nice color choice, but I like its performance even better - it is so fast that it is no wonder that you had to slow it down on some parts in the video :wink:

All kidding aside, I was curious to see how brick built cabin will effect its performance but it seems to be very fast and agile - very fun to drive. I love it :thumbup:

Nice moc. Really originial.

I like it a lot! :classic::thumbup:

Btw, as an "instruction maker" myself, I can't help but notice that (based on your preview of your instructions) your instructions are always of a very high quality. At least, they look so.

That must be a lot of work :classic:

Everything about this build is very impressive. It's speed, design, the choice of colours. It's just awesome :thumbup:

Edited by grum64

Ingmar you did it again and love your race truck. :wub:

Your new pressation with the white back ground is also very good to :thumbup: :thumbup: :wink: .

Amazing! The level of detail on such a fast vehicle is impressive, and I love the use of links in the rear. If I had the official RC unit I would definitely build it :thumbup:

Because I don't want to forget someone, I always start with: Thanks to all, and I am serious!!! It is always appreciated when a model is no only loved by its builder... :wink:

Well at least that is what my MOCs tell me all the time... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh::tongue:

@sm 01, Thanks and yes it is fun to drive!!! :thumbup:

@AndyCW and @z3_2drive, The framework at the tail part was so much fun building. Quite some puzzling, but it was worth all effort... These links are one of my favorite parts, thin yet very effective. Also do I use them to strengthen for example solid axles for my 6x6 trucks. For me it would help if TLC would release more links with different length, not only 6L and 9L... :thumbup::classic:

Your new pressation with the white back ground is also very good to :thumbup: :thumbup: :wink: .

Yeah, and this is all because of you!!! Thanks buddy :thumbup:

Btw, as an "instruction maker" myself, I can't help but notice that (based on your preview of your instructions) your instructions are always of a very high quality. At least, they look so.

That must be a lot of work :classic:

Well, I can tell they actually are of a very high quality and yes it is a load of work! :grin: Maybe this sounds a little arrogant from the creator it self, but this quality is extremely important to me. I really want everyone to be able to build these models using my instructions. Experienced builders as starters as well!!!

For me it is important to have "not just out of the box" instructions. With this I mean the instructions generated by default by the software used are not good enough for me. My approach is to have TLC alike instructions, but with a speedy progress. So per step a lot of parts are added, but in a way anyone knows what to do.

Ouch! That's a beauty. Could you enter this in the model team contest? What a nice official set that would be, it's great with the motors and a good video. Love the slow motion. A fine build. Hall of fame for me.

Thanks!!! Model Team contest, no, it is way to large and has electronics, which both are not allowed...

I am in when it comes to an official set with the RC stuff. Not because this is a model of mine, but I really do love to see those RC units rereleased some day!

Nice to see that you pucked up this project again. A couple of years ago I saw this type of model standing on your desk.

Very colorful and good looks. Colors are great as well and I really like the tryangle shape of the stripes on the back side of the cab.

I looks really fast. I have a speed computer somewhere. When you come to my house this year I will look it up for you.

Great work as always. looking forward seeing the truck IRL.

You are right this project is about 3 years old I guess. It all started as a fun project and later on I got more serious about it. It doesn't look alike anything from back then, but that never minds, you probably can not remember much of it... :wink:

If you have one of those computers I would love to use it...

Here is the first design sitting on the drop deck trailer. Also nice looks, but less serious. The main reason to redesign is was its weight. The one shown on this picture holds much more bricks. So I basically lowered the bodywork and simplified the design...

pict09b.jpg

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

Finally I won an auction with an 8366 supersonic! :) got it for 55eur on a swedish site! So I'm really happy right now!

Finally I won an auction with an 8366 supersonic! :) got it for 55eur on a swedish site! So I'm really happy right now!

Great! You are one lucky guy you know. These sets are really rare these days and you only paid 55, that is amazing!!!

Does this mean you are going to build this Race Truck as well?