piterx

[WIP] Servo Operated Clutch (Sequential Gearbox 3)

hey guys!

this morning i woke up with an idea for a clutch in mind...lol i'm a wierdo XD

so i thought why not try making a new gearbox around it?

The gearbox i made for pajero was almost good but the 4th gear was useless, so i think the best compromise between friction, overall weight, ratios and speed is a 3g gearbox :)

The problem was that with the auto clutch i always used i had to add R gear and braking system causing weight increasing and loss of space inside the frame.

One thing that was really good was the switching mechanism, so i had this idea to use the 90cw and 90ccw servo's rotation to operate a clutch that disengages everytime i switch gear

i think that the picture speaks for itself....now i just need to build the rest :P

if it works i'll make an LDD file

hope you like it :)

731o9x.jpg

Looks good, I would only add some 3L beams to keep the joiner from falling out of the clutch handle. So operation is engaged unless servo is rotated to any of the positions?

actually the clutch is disengaged when servo rotates clockwise or anti clockwise...wich is the same time when the shift happens

lol

SHIFT HAPPENS :laugh:

The key above shift apparently happened too (hehe).

But nice idea. Reducing mechanisms to their basics using a minimal number of parts almost always works out well (as long as it's braced enough).

so here it is :)

3 gears and a clutch....once i'll make the shifting mechanism i'll attach that red liftarm on the same axle and it should be complete

2r4tt1t.jpg

Hmm, I don't understand. If you use servo motor and when you operate it, it turns 90° and turns back. So the clutch is turned on(shifting) and immediately turned off, so you lose the connection when you release the joystick of the remote controller.

Edited by Eraman

at the same time the gear is shifting the clutch gets disengaged once the servo rotates 90° in every direction

once it gets back to its neutral position the clutch re-engages

i haven't tried the complete mechanism yet but in theory it should work :P

do you mind trying for me? im away from my legos for a week eheh

you'll also need this part that's the one wich allows precise gear shifting one stud by one stud at a time

107j81x.jpg

Hmm, now i am making a big project, i use servo motor for selecting functions too, so this is my solution:

1.png

2.png

The green axle is connected to the servo. When the servo turns 90° and turn back, the funciton selector arm is switched on and it stays in that position until the servo turns to the other side.

Edited by Eraman

yeah but that's gonna turn 90 degrees and you need around 45 to operate the selector....you need to gear it down :P

the way i did you don't need gearing :P

I don't think it needs gearing down - the green triangle will rotate for a while before the bushes hit the liftarms that engage the selector.

I don't think it needs gearing down - the green triangle will rotate for a while before the bushes hit the liftarms that engage the selector.

The point yours, it doesn't need gearing down. :thumbup:

If the the function selector doesn't switch well(because of backlash of gears), you can change the bushes for something bigger to compensate the backlash.

Eraman, you could just use a spring loaded M motor for that function. Lots of wasted precision in the servo. You should theoretically be able to select 7 functions (or more?) with a servo, not just 2.