Robert8

LEGO Minifigures licensed series

Best licensed collectable Minifigures series so far  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best licensed collectable Minifigures series so far?

• The Simpsons Series 1
    • The Simpsons Series 2
    • Disney
    • The LEGO Batman Movie Series 1
    • The LEGO Batman Movie Series 2
    • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 1
    • Disney Series 2
    • DC Comics Series
    • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 2

Since the announcement of LEGO's partnership with Dreamworks I've been sitting on an idea for a CMF based of what is in my opinion the best animated franchise ever: How To Train Your Dragon. I tried to create a nice balance between the movies and tv series so here's what I've come up with. Reference pictures are in the spoiler tags.

1. Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III (How To Train Your Dragon) - Book of Dragons

Spoiler

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III (Franchise) | How to Train Your ...Dragon Manual | How to Train Your Dragon Wiki | Fandom

2. Astrid Hofferson (How To Train Your Dragon) - axe

Spoiler

Cosplay: HTTYD – Astrid Hofferson | The Art of Cosplay

Following 2 are under the same picture:

3. Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III (How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World) - firesword Inferno and helmet

4. Astrid Hofferson (HTTYD: The Hidden World) - axe and helmet

Spoiler

ctsd3 Instagram posts - Gramho.com

5. Fishlegs Ingerman (HTTYD: The Hidden World) - Fishmeat

Spoiler

Fishlegs Ingerman | How to Train Your Dragon Wiki | FandomFishmeat | How to Train Your Dragon Wiki | Fandom

6. Snotlout Jorgenson (HTTYD: The Hidden World) - hammer

Spoiler

Snotlout Jorgenson | How to Train Your Dragon Wiki | Fandom

7. Tuffnut Thorston (HTTYD: The Hidden World) - Macey

Spoiler

Tuffnut Thorston | How to Train Your Dragon Wiki | Fandom350?cb=20171021231616

8. Ruffnut Thorston (HTTYD: The Hidden World) - spear

Spoiler

latest?cb=20190309042903

9. Stoick the Vast (HTTYD 2) - axe

Spoiler

Stoick the Vast | Heroes of the characters Wiki | Fandom

10. Gobber the Belch (HTTYD) - new hammer-hand mold

Spoiler

Gobber the Belch (Franchise) | How to Train Your Dragon Wiki | Fandom

11. Valka Haddock (HTTYD 2) - staff and hair

Spoiler

Valka Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III Stoick The Vast How To Train ...

12. Eret son of Eret (HTTYD 2) - sword

Spoiler

Eret, Son of Eret | T.O.W.E.R.I.N.G. Wikia | Fandom

13. Drago Bludvist (HTTYD 2) - bullhook

Spoiler

Drago Bludvist | How to Train Your Dragon Wiki | Fandom

14. Grimmel the Grisly (HTTYD: The Hidden World) - crossbow

Spoiler

Anybody think of For Honor while watching HTTYD 3? There's a ...

15. Dagur the Deranged (Race to the Edge) - Berserker axe

Spoiler

Dagur's Axe | How to Train Your Dragon Wiki | Fandom

16. Viggo Grimborn (Race to the Edge) - Maces and Talons gamepiece

Spoiler

Toothless the Nightfury: Did someone say chess (or Maces and Talons)?

The normal series would end here as the CMF's seem to have only 16 spots nowadays but I do have an additional 4 characters if they were to include 20 figures.

17. Mala (Race to the Edge) - sword

Spoiler

Mala | How to Train Your Dragon Wiki | Fandom

18. Heather (Race to the Edge) - Razorwhip-axe

Spoiler

Heather | How to Train Your Dragon Wiki | FandomHeather's Axe | How to Train Your Dragon Wiki | Fandom

19. Alvin the Treacherous (Defenders of Berk) - axe

Spoiler

Alvin the Treacherous

20. Trader Johann (Defenders of Berk) - knife

Spoiler

Johann (How to Train Your Dragon) | Villains Wiki | Fandom

Disney Series 2, DC Comics Series and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 2 added to the poll

On 6/28/2018 at 2:48 PM, Robert8 said:

For me, the best licensed series has to be the Harry Potter line. The molds and prints in the Simpsons and Disney were way too specific (as they should be, of course) and therefore only useful for Simpsons and Disney stuff. No animal moulds were introduced.

To be honest i think the Simpsons were one of the most usefull series for customisers with the huge amount of dual mouldet arms and unprinted parts. If you have a City you really just had to switch the head of Willie to get a perfect worker with hairy arms for example. The only prints too specific for a generic city were the accessory tiles and Marge's/Lisa's torso parts. There were animals. Santa's little helper, let's say "a" snowball, the little bird with Jasmine...

My favourite is Simpsons 1. Besides the parts i used for different things i love the series in general. On top of that they were 2,50€ and many heads stayed exclusive to that figure. Nearly everything in the 4€ Potter series got recycled. And i bet the few exclusive parts soon will be reused in sets, too.

Guys, I read on the Internet that Hasbro has renewed their contract with Disney for Marvel and Star Wars toys! And best of all, their deal has become non-exclusive after renewal!

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/news/2020/02/21/disney-hasbro-merchandising-rights/

I didn’t see anything about Hasbro’s Marvel & Star Wars licenses becoming non-exclusive, but y’all should check this out!

9 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

Guys, I read on the Internet that Hasbro has renewed their contract with Disney for Marvel and Star Wars toys! And best of all, their deal has become non-exclusive after renewal!

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/news/2020/02/21/disney-hasbro-merchandising-rights/

I didn’t see anything about Hasbro’s Marvel & Star Wars licenses becoming non-exclusive, but y’all should check this out!

Where does it say it’s non exclusive?

31 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Where does it say it’s non exclusive?

I mentioned that I didn't see anything on the deal becoming non exclusive in the article, but I read posts regarding this on Instagram.

voted for the Simpsons, which was at the time just a huge surprise and not something I would have ever expected.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:47 AM, Guyon2002 said:

Since the announcement of LEGO's partnership with Dreamworks I've been sitting on an idea for a CMF based of what is in my opinion the best animated franchise ever: How To Train Your Dragon. I tried to create a nice balance between the movies and tv series so here's what I've come up with. Reference pictures are in the spoiler tags.

I think the selection is perfect. While i hate many of the Disney CMF-Figures (Dschini...:sick:) because the shape looks just terrible in minifigure form, many of these charakters won´t be recognizable as minifigures but still work fine as great fantasy/castle figures. This would be a great success just because of the castle fans even if the hype about the franchise dies until it´s release.

On 3/29/2020 at 8:49 PM, Gorilla94 said:

I think the selection is perfect. While i hate many of the Disney CMF-Figures (Dschini...:sick:) because the shape looks just terrible in minifigure form, many of these charakters won´t be recognizable as minifigures but still work fine as great fantasy/castle figures. This would be a great success just because of the castle fans even if the hype about the franchise dies until it´s release.

They would be good as Castle type figures. But then, if LEGO wanted to make a Castle CMF series, there is nothing stopping them. The downside of a How to Train Your Dragon CMF series is the lack of dragons. 

10 hours ago, MAB said:

They would be good as Castle type figures. But then, if LEGO wanted to make a Castle CMF series, there is nothing stopping them. The downside of a How to Train Your Dragon CMF series is the lack of dragons. 

Yes. I think we all see that there won´t be an unlicenced castle cmf. Even if it sells well, an additional Disney or Potter-cmf will bring more money... A HTTDYD-cmf could be a chance. I think if there were a few sets with some of the most important dragons and some weaker versions of the characters, the series would sell well delivering missing characters or more popular outfits with dual moulding and stuff like that.

This won't surprise anyone who knows me, but: Disney theme parks. We've had two official sets of structures from the parks, and two CMF series of Disney animated characters, but I want MORE! There are plenty of unique characters that made their debut in Disney theme parks, not to mention distinctive Cast Member costumes that would be a must for any proper Disneyland or Disney World MOC. Here are just some possibilities:

1. Haunted Mansion "maid" Cast Member
  2. Haunted Mansion "butler" Cast Member (also seen in the image linked above)
  3. Constance Hatchaway (ghostly "black widow" bride from the Haunted Mansion)
  4. The Hatbox Ghost
  5. Redd the redhead (Pirates of the Caribbean)
  6. Jungle Cruise skipper
  7. Trader Sam/Chief Nami (Jungle Cruise character)
  8. Henry the Country Bear Jamboree emcee (you could almost do an entire CMF line of just the Country Bears)
  9. Dreamfinder and Figment (Journey Into Imagination)
  10. Fantasyland "page" Cast Member
  11. Tomorrowland Cast Member (the outfit isn't very exciting but one of my online friends works in Tomorrowland, so consider this a shout-out)
  12. Tomorrowland "Space Man"
  13. Bipedal Pluto costume (leaving the quadrupedal animated version for a set, maybe)
  14. Sonny Eclipse (Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe)
  15. Guest wearing mouse ears (adult)
  16. Guest wearing mouse ears (child)

This is just a cross-section of the interesting characters you can spot in the Disney theme parks and pretty much nowhere else!

So I've been hoping for an Indy 5 movie for a while now, and seeing as it just got pushed back again, my hopes are dwindling.  That said, if we did get a fifth film, I'd love a reboot of the sets, and I think a minifigure series would be a great complement, especially since there's a handful of characters that really don't fit into sets.  Here's what I'd do.

1. Indiana Jones (Temple of Doom opening), accessories are a pistol and the jar containing Nurhachi

2. Marion Ravenwood (Nepal Bar), accessories are the headpiece of Ra and a bottle

3. Marcus Brody, accessory is the Grail map 

4. Sallah (Last Crusade, with the fez), accessories are a suitcase and a newspaper (Egyptian Mail, morning edition!)

5. Belloq (White outfit from the desert), accessory is a pistol

6. Katanga (the ship captain from Raiders), not sure what accessories he'd have, maybe just a gun or something

7. Willie Scott (dinner outfit), accessory is a monkey head

8. Colonel Vogel, accessory is his walking stick/cane thing and an Indy/Henry Jones Sr. wanted poster

9. Monkey Man, accessories are a monkey and small jar of poison

10. Walter Donovan, accessory is a spare skull head to swap out with his normal face

11. Mac, accessory is a gun

12. Oxley, accessory is a crystal skull

13. Elsa Schneider, accessories are two of the false Grails

14. Lao Che, accessory is a pistol and a diamond

15. Fedora, accessories are the hat and Cross of Coronado

16. Grail Knight, accessories are a sword and the Holy Grail

@Guyon2002 “what is in my opinion the best animated franchise ever: How To Train Your Dragon”

Good call and inclined to agree. 

I’d love to see a CMF series (the licensed Playmobil sets weren't great) but as has been said, the lack of dragons would be a major flaw.

So I’d happily settle for a limited theme of 5 or 6 sets.

LEGO Looney Tunes Collectible Minifigure Series Incoming?

http://www.brickfinder.net/2020/08/10/lego-looney-tunes-collectible-minifigure-series-incoming/

I think this may be true although there is something fishy here.... something they say in that article contradicts info I have about next year CMFs 

So... let's take it with a grain of salt

Edited by Robert8

5 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

oooh... I tawt I taw a Lego puddy tat!

Very exciting if true... Though I need to see the figures before I can got too excited about them. I'm skeptical how well cartoon characters can translate into mini figure form, especially after the Flintstones Ideas set. That being said, I would love to own minifigures of Bugs Bunny, Sylvester, and Tweetie Bird.

Just saw it on IG, too, and ooooh boy, I'm pumped if this is true! The chance they'll use custom molds (where necessary) is very high I believe, so fingers crossed :excited: They could also take those round stands (the one Frozone had) ant print the Looney Tunes circles on them, that would be neat

*oh2* This has the potential to be a great series! I was quite surprised at first, but it does make a lot of sense when you think about it. TLG’s ties to WB are just as strong as those to Disney and if I recall correctly, the Looney Toons were supposed to be added to the cancelled third year of Dimensions.

Trying not to get my hopes up if this rumor turns out to be false... but who would you include in a 16 figure Looney Tunes CMF series? Bugs, Daffy, Elmer, Sylvester, Tweety, Porky, Taz, Marvin the Martian... that’s half. Who else would you add? Yosemite Sam? 

41 minutes ago, BitByBrick said:

Trying not to get my hopes up if this rumor turns out to be false... but who would you include in a 16 figure Looney Tunes CMF series? Bugs, Daffy, Elmer, Sylvester, Tweety, Porky, Taz, Marvin the Martian... that’s half. Who else would you add? Yosemite Sam? 

Tweety should be with Sylvester.

the ones you mentioned, Witch Hazel, Foghorn, Wile E. Coyote (Road Runner likely as an accessory, he wouldn't work as a minifig), those are safe bets. Speedy has a very good chance, but he'd be an odd one out due to his size - I mean I'd love to get him but I'd also like the figures to be more or less to scale. Pepe has a smaller chance due to his,,, predatory nature, but he's still very recognizable. I'd also add Mugsy, Rocky, Granny, Cecil Turtle. If small characters like Speedy can be done, I'd also like to get Sniffles and Egghead Jr

Edited by BenderBrau

40 minutes ago, BitByBrick said:

There’s also variants of Looney Tunes characters! Like Duck Dodgers and Green Loontern for Daffy Duck, for example.

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

There’s also variants of Looney Tunes characters! Like Duck Dodgers and Green Loontern for Daffy Duck, for example.

Duck Dodgers and Marvin the Martian... Just take my money! Eager young space-cadette Porky could complete the Planet X trio. 

Could they re-use the Nesquik head mold for Bugs Bunny? What other molds (if any) could be re-purposed for this series? 

How about Michigan J Frog and the guy who finds him? Goofy Gophers? Ralph Phillips (the daydreaming boy)? Hugo (The abominable snowman) and my favorite: Gossamer (the red monster) !!

Edited by BitByBrick
Additional names

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

http://www.brickfinder.net/2020/08/10/lego-looney-tunes-collectible-minifigure-series-incoming/

I think this may be true although there is something fishy here.... something they say in that article contradicts info I have about next year CMFs 

So... let's take it with a grain of salt

Yeah, I wondered about that when I first saw it. 
I mean, Disney series 3 seems pretty inevitable with the Winnie the Pooh Ideas set in the pipeline. And there were substantial enough rumors about a Marvel series earlier this year that I figured Lego must have at least finally gotten the right licenses for it (making it another inevitability). This rumor kind of comes out of left field. 

I’m also a little wary about how a Loony Toons series could be done given the format. The standard minifigure design is pretty blocky and obviously uniform, which works okay if you’re translating real life actors or working with a cartoon that roughly sticks to normal human proportions for most of its characters. But one of the most recognizable parts of the Loony Toons cast is their zany body proportions. Tall, lanky characters like Bugs Bunny and Wile E. Coyote, characters with long arms and torsos but short legs like Sylvester and Foghorn Leghorn, Tweety Bird’s large head and feet with a comparatively tiny body, whatever the heck is going on with Taz... heck, I could probably write a whole essay on why feet shape is important to recognizing some Toons and we all know that minifigure feet are vestigial at best. The point being that the uniformly blocky minifigure bodies could be a real stumbling point to making some of the most popular characters. 

Another reason I’m skeptical is I’m not sure how popular Loony Toons are with kids right now. Sure a bunch of AFOLs are excited at the idea, but for every full case that Lego sells to one of us they probably sell the equivalent of a dozen more in parents and kids grabbing a few blind bags for fun. That doesn’t exactly work if kids aren’t interested in the characters. 

So, yeah, grain of salt indeed. 

I can imagine Tweety working really well as a PPG styled minifigure, short legs and big oversized head.

Are Tom and Jerry considered Loony Tunes?