Robert8

LEGO Minifigures licensed series

Best licensed collectable Minifigures series so far  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best licensed collectable Minifigures series so far?

• The Simpsons Series 1
    • The Simpsons Series 2
    • Disney
    • The LEGO Batman Movie Series 1
    • The LEGO Batman Movie Series 2
    • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 1
    • Disney Series 2
    • DC Comics Series
    • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 2

On 2 February 2018 at 5:10 PM, Pop Star c o said:

I wonder if there's any chance that we will see Disney 2 series some time.

Go check out the Future rumour thread for CMF in the Special Themes Section. Earliest time we will get a Disney Series 2 will probably be 2020 if that.

On 5 March 2018 at 5:17 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Hmm, possibly, especially since the movie is being produced by Warner Bros. under their own WAG (Warner Animation Group). But, if that were the case, that would mean that all three CMSs for that year (unless there were to be four) would be based upon WAG movies (The Lego Movie sequel, The Billion Brick Race, and the Minecraft movie). By then, the would be no room for Series 19 unless The Billion Brick Race got moved to 2020. :sceptic:

After what happened with The Lego Batman Movie and The Lego Ninjago Movie, the Billion Brick Race will probably be pushed back to at least 2020.

4 hours ago, just_one said:

just give me a Marvel / DC series and i will be happy

LEGO has a huge back catalog to choose from

Well, with comic based characters, Lego seemingly would rather string us along with inserting them into random playsets, as many don't have any ties to any particular storyline that most casual audiences would be aware of. Most of the time, they just can be convenient filler characters for any Batman/Spiderman set, no matter how obscure they may be.

3 hours ago, J4ck said:

After what happened with The Lego Batman Movie and The Lego Ninjago Movie, the Billion Brick Race will probably be pushed back to at least 2020.

On one hand, I can totally see that happening. On the other, I don't know if TLNM's failure can confidently be blamed on that factor alone, if at all. Could it be that Lego wished WB could release two cinematic movies every other year, as so that there would be a gap year for their product line without cinematic tie-in sets? 

The series failed (Batman and Ninjago) because they're too expensive! In regular stores the figures in the Netherlands cost 4,50 euro's.

https://www.intertoys.nl/p/lego-batman-film-serie-2-minifiguren-6213821/1750428

https://www.intertoys.nl/p/lego-ninjago-film-minifiguren-71019/1507505

I remember the first series costing 1,89 euro.

Edited by Cobb

5 minutes ago, Cobb said:

The series failed (Batman and Ninjago) because they're too expensive! In regular stores the figures in the Netherlands cost 4,50 euro's.

https://www.intertoys.nl/p/lego-batman-film-serie-2-minifiguren-6213821/1750428

https://www.intertoys.nl/p/lego-ninjago-film-minifiguren-71019/1507505

I remember the first series costing 1,89 euro.

At first i was very hyped for both series, but i ended up buying only a few from the batman series and none from the ninjago ones. If the figs were more like 3€ i would have bought more and maybe even multiples of some. I think it is a suicidal strategy what lego is doing with these prices. Nowadays i buy figs online from resellers who sell them fairly cheaper than toy stores and i just buy the ones i really really want. 

Lego is really starting to get a bad rep (atleast in the Netherlands) with their insane pricing. Sadly we only have one big toy giant here, so in stores there's very few incentive for discounts. Online is getting better, but we also have high postal prices, which makes it difficult for small businnes to get a foot in against the big stores like Bol.com.

Also the dutch market doesn't have an Amazon, if we want to buy from Amazon we have to use the German site. And sometimes (with big discounts) they exclude dutch buyers.

Edited by Cobb

I'm frankly surprised they haven't already done a Disney Series 2. I guess it's just a matter of them having too full a lineup; between wanting to do at least one series for each "LEGO Cinematic Universe" entry and at least one numbered series for the main line each year, there just wasn't room for Disney S2 in 2017, but I was surprised they went with The LEGO Batman Movie Series 2 to kick off this year instead of a Disney Series 2.

As far as what I'd most like to see from licensed lines, Indiana Jones, Doctor Who, and Adventure Time all seem like great ideas to me (with the caveat that lots of Adventure Time characters really call for something other than conventional minifigures, of course). This is assuming they do indeed do another Disney series as well; they really need to, if only so they can finally add Goofy to the lineup. It just seems wrong to have Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Daisy, but not Goofy.

I must say it's getting harder and harder for me to keep up. When the Minifigures line began back in 2010, we had just two series that year, both 16 figures, and in the US they were just $1.99 per figure. I got at least two of each figure, and more of others. As the line exploded and went to three 16-figure series per year at $2.99 apiece, it got a lot harder to keep up and get as many as I liked, but I still managed to get at least two of each figure until 2012, when I simply fell behind and got only one of the S8 Lederhosen Guy (sadly, one of the minifigures I most wanted several of), and there was also a regionally limited-distribution fourth series for Team GB, which I was able to get none of. Since then, I've given up on trying to get at least two of each, but managed to get at least one of each for a while - except for S10's Mr. Gold and the entire DFB Soccer / Football series. But now we have multiple series a year with over 16 minifigures, and it's getting tougher than ever to keep up. Though I've managed to get at least one of each figure from each numbered mainline series (again, except Mr. Gold), plus each one from the Disney series (S1?), The Simpsons Series 1 & 2, The LEGO Movie, and The LEGO Batman Movie S1, I'm still working on The LEGO Ninjago Movie, and don't yet have any from The LEGO Batman Movie S2 (the third series with a whopping 20 figures!) - and now Series 18 is just around the corner, and it has an extra minifigure who's tougher to find at just one per box. I love these, but I'm struggling to keep up with them all.

38 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I'm frankly surprised they haven't already done a Disney Series 2.

Many stores did sell out of the series rather quickly after it hit shelves, right? 

17 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Many stores did sell out of the series rather quickly after it hit shelves, right? 

That was certainly my impression. I thought the Disney series was one of the most popular Minifigures series ever.

I recall seeing the Disney figures at my local Walmart for at least 6 months. Other series seem to go much faster.

14 minutes ago, fordtruckin said:

I recall seeing the Disney figures at my local Walmart for at least 6 months. Other series seem to go much faster.

I found a Walmart that still had a few of The Simpsons Series 2 just a couple weeks ago, but I don't consider that typical (and if I did, it would certainly far surpass the Disney ones staying around a comparatively mere six months).

The Disney minifigures attracted attention from Disney fanatics who aren't normally necessarily LEGO fans.

The Disney series was definitely my most anticipated. A second series would be greatly appreciated but when it comes down to it, I just really, really want a Goofy figure. He’s the most notable and frustrating exclusion.

8 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

The Disney minifigures attracted attention from Disney fanatics who aren't normally necessarily LEGO fans.

Thats why I was surprised that it lasted that long. Most series around me dont.

I wonder, why LEGO doesn't want to make another Disney minifigure series. I want to know the reason. Then I will be pleased.

Edited by Pop Star c o

1 hour ago, Pop Star c o said:

I wonder, why LEGO doesn't want to make another Disney minifigure series. I want to know the reason. Then I will be pleased.

They might want to, but not do it as they have other things that are more important in the pipeline. More than three series a year is probably not viable. With two tie-in movies this year - TLBM and TLNM - the current slots are taken. Even if they are not as good sellers as the original Disney CMF were, they are important for promoting both the larger sets and the movies.

3 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

Closure in regards to themes, genres, and lines that haven't seen the light of day for a prolonged period of time is also a good thing for me too. It's better than being left in the dark about its absence.

They made a CMF line to promote the castle, and I can't imagine Disney's going to release another set like that right away.

Reguarding Disney, you look at the series released after it

Series 16: Normal Cmf series, couldn’t release series 2 here too close to original 

lego batman movie: to go along with the movie

Series 17: the one non licenced cmf series per year in 2017

LEGO Ninjago movie: to go along with the movie

Lego batman movie series 2: Lego squeezed every penny out of this theme so they decided to do another series 

Series 18: the one non licenced cmf series per year and to celebrate 60 Years 

Harry Potter: to promote the revival of the theme/ for the d2c

There hasn’t been a great spot for Lego to put in another Disney cmf series that wouldn’t affect their plan of 2 licenced and 1 regular cmf series per year. If the billion brick race gets moved I could see them putting Disney in their spot. From my understanding Disney sold quite well. Lego always mass produces these series so there will alway be extra figures around for a while. Disney series 2 will come, once Lego finds a spot to put it

At this point I think The Billion Brick Race being pushed back is pretty much a given, as the film seems to be in a development hell

Also, I think LEGO and Warner learned from what happened with The Batman Movie and the Ninjago Movie last year and they know it wouldn't be wise to release 2 LEGO movies almost back to back

So, I think the 2019 line-up will go as this

-Jan: The LEGO Movie Sequel series

-May: Series 19 series

-Sep: Harry Potter series 2

3 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Harry Potter: to promote the revival of the theme/ for the d2c

Is a Harry Potter series confirmed as coming? I've missed a lot of LEGO news lately.

Is a Harry Potter series confirmed as coming? I've missed a lot of LEGO news lately.

Yes

22 minifigures

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Yes

22 minifigures

22?! That's insane! I guess this is the point on the "collect 'em all" train where I get off.

(Though that said, I never would have asked for over 20 minifigures in a single series, but if they're really doing it now, I will go ahead and say I hope they also do it for Indiana Jones when they presumably bring the theme back for the fifth movie a couple years from now.)

On 3/8/2018 at 6:45 PM, Cobb said:

Lego is really starting to get a bad rep (atleast in the Netherlands) with their insane pricing. Sadly we only have one big toy giant here, so in stores there's very few incentive for discounts. Online is getting better, but we also have high postal prices, which makes it difficult for small businnes to get a foot in against the big stores like Bol.com.

Also the dutch market doesn't have an Amazon, if we want to buy from Amazon we have to use the German site. And sometimes (with big discounts) they exclude dutch buyers.

I agree, with series 16/17, first TLBM they were 4euro, now it's 4,50..  It getting too high.

I can't pay them all lol, so many beautiful releases but it's expensive.

(Though that said, I never would have asked for over 20 minifigures in a single series, but if they're really doing it now, I will go ahead and say I hope they also do it for Indiana Jones when they presumably bring the theme back for the fifth movie a couple years from now.)

An Indiana Jones Collectable Minifigure series? :excited:

Oh yeah, that would be seriously awesome, and considering all the characters that didn't have a chance to be caricatured as minifigures the first time around... :thumbup: :smug: