Robert8

LEGO Minifigures licensed series

Best licensed collectable Minifigures series so far  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best licensed collectable Minifigures series so far?

• The Simpsons Series 1
    • The Simpsons Series 2
    • Disney
    • The LEGO Batman Movie Series 1
    • The LEGO Batman Movie Series 2
    • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 1
    • Disney Series 2
    • DC Comics Series
    • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 2

With The Simpsons Minifigures Series 2 coming next year, it seems TLG is reinventing the LEGO Minifigures Theme from 2014 forward by mixing regular collectible minifigures series (1-12) with licensed series (TLM, TSS 1-2).

Do you like this new approach?

Should The Simpsons series continue or the next licensed series should be about anything else?

What licensed series would you want to see next?

Edited by Robert8

I think licensed CMF series do have potential and TLG probably think so too: at first, they considered the Simpsons series to be an experiment - which turned out to exceed the expectations quite a bit, according to this interview with CEO Knudstorp: http://futurezone.at/digital-life/lego-ceo-zu-uns-hat-noch-niemand-nein-gesagt/81.525.130 The interview is in German, mind :wink:

The interview reveals other interesting tidbits: apparently, TLG is constantly approached by film studios and video game publishers (which often get turned down) and TLG usually isn't denied any license they want to acquire (which is also reflected in the title of the article: "nobody has said 'no' to us yet").

If lego get the doctor who license from ideas and take over from character building then lego Doctor Who collectable minfigures would sell like hotcakes (alongside sets of course!).

If lego get the doctor who license from ideas and take over from character building then lego Doctor Who collectable minfigures would sell like hotcakes (alongside sets of course!).

Well 'character' still has the ation figure license most likely, wich often interfers with legos ability to sell just figures.

Lego wouldn't get the license just for the IDEAS thing. if 'character' still wanted to make their full range of products.

Character only seem to be making the CB figures for that part at the moment not the sets so perhaps we could get a set line from lego whilst CB still makes its minitures. There were supposed to be lots of new CB sets this year but they were cancelled which may mean their brief by BBC has changed and they only want CB to make figures not sets which could mean they have seen Lego's superior sets and hopefully will task them with it.

I just hope that someday there will be a CMF series with fleshies! I guess You cant hope for a fleshie remake of popular CMF figs, but rather hope for that there will be a CMF fig line for some fleshie licensed theme. a Jurassic Park/World CMF would be nice and a SW CMF would be great, (does the old HASBRO action fig rule apply event to the upcoming Rebels?)

Star Wars and Superheroes are the two big ones. There's so many great characters they can give us that are unlikely to appear in sets anytime soon. Shame its unlikely to happen because of Hasbro.

Lord of the Rings and Indiana Jones are two others I'd like to see since there's still quite a few important characters missing from both themes.

I'm not that keen on a Jurassic Park series though. I think getting the characters in actual sets would be more appealling than getting them on their own.

I don't think we can predict another licensed CMF series if we haven't even gotten the second license in order to get the possible rules at least. If we also discuss original themes, the most possible one could be Online Game series based on a previous rumor.

There are also not many choices for a licensed series. That license needs to have at least 16 iconic characters. Disney is a collective theme so it's qualified for sure. The candidates as individual licenses are Avatar, LotR and Harry Potter.

Speaking of Nickelodeon, Spong.... oh, never mind. :angry:

I personally think the chances for Star Wars and Superheroes are smaller, mostly because the two make big money and TLG would keep making new sets for them. There could be some minor characters who don't have big chances to be in any set so they can go to CMF series, but the other question is would they be appealing CMFs?

To be quite honest, the main reason why I didn't fall in love with LEGO Simpsons as both a FOL and a Simpsons lover is that CMF feels like both a treat and a mistreat which both bring unfairness. Simpsons hasn't got any other regular set along with the CMF series, while other regular licensed themes don't even get more characters than Simpsons. If licensed CMF is possible, I wish it's the turn for an existed license rather than a newly obtained one.. Edited by Dorayaki

A superheroes cmf series would be just phenomenal! I'm skeptical about DW though. Keep in mind, we haven't even heard the results of this quarter's IDEAS yet or seen any surfacing of a potential license other than small tid-bits like Ideas saying the license was now available, etc.

A superheroes cmf series would be just phenomenal! I'm skeptical about DW though. Keep in mind, we haven't even heard the results of this quarter's IDEAS yet or seen any surfacing of a potential license other than small tid-bits like Ideas saying the license was now available, etc.

Lego wouldnt be allowed to say they got who license yet, because it would undermine 'characters' uppcoming and current 2014 sales.

I wouldn't mind a pattern of two or three regular CMF series and then one licensed CMF series. Too bad most licensed CMF ideas would be squashed due to other companies holding the action figure rights. But I'm sure if LEGO really wanted to do a CMF series bad enough, they could work out a deal with the company that holds said rights (or throw enough money at them) and be able to make a series. I wonder if the apparent success of the Simpsons line has made LEGO more willing to look at the future of licensed CMF series.

My dream licensed CMF series would be Star Wars, superheroes, and even more Simpsons.

I would love Harry Potter, Superheroes, and even Star Wars CMF. Hopefully other licenses get them other than just the simpsons considering those don't interest me.

I think licensed CMF series do have potential and TLG probably think so too: at first, they considered the Simpsons series to be an experiment - which turned out to exceed the expectations quite a bit, according to this interview with CEO Knudstorp: http://futurezone.at...sagt/81.525.130 The interview is in German, mind :wink:

The interview reveals other interesting tidbits: apparently, TLG is constantly approached by film studios and video game publishers (which often get turned down) and TLG usually isn't denied any license they want to acquire (which is also reflected in the title of the article: "nobody has said 'no' to us yet").

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing. :classic:

I would love more licensed series. I actually liked both TLM and Simpsons series better than most other series. TLM was the first I 100% completed and with only 3 to go I plan to do the same with Simpsons. Ones that I want:

Marvel. More specific X-Men, but since Marvel is shorting out X-merch right now I'd still go for a normal series.

Indiana Jones as someone else said. A huge yes to this, I dearly loved IJ and we still need Sallah, Brody, Toht, Map Room Indy...

LOTR. I would obviously buy the heck out of this. Eowyn, King Aragorn, Faramir, Witch King, Sauron, even some army builders like proper Mordor Orcs.

Ghostbusters. While the Ecto-1 didn't sell quite as well as other Ideas sets, GB is just such an amazing franchise and needs a CMF series. Dana, Louis, Gozer, Vigo, Janine, Slimer are all valid options as well as variant Ghostbusters. Slimed, (okay maybe just Venky for that one) marshmallow covered, grey GB2 suits, casual clothes.

I hope to see some more licenses in CMF series!

I personally think the chances for Star Wars and Superheroes are smaller, mostly because the two make big money and TLG would keep making new sets for them. There could be some minor characters who don't have big chances to be in any set so they can go to CMF series, but the other question is would they be appealing CMFs?

To answer the question: yes.

Licensing issues re: "action figures" aside (which need to just die; Lego minifigures aren't gonna hurt Hasbro's bottom line, they're doing plenty of damage themselves with poor character choices, poor distribution, and various other questionable decisions), there is loads of potential for CMFs from SW or Superheroes (of either company)... multiple waves of them, which I'd love to see provided they run alongside regular CMFs rather than delaying regular CMFs like TLM & The Simpsons did. Metal Men, various Teen Titans, loads of Leaguers & JSA members--plenty of DC potential right there without even touching villains! Marvel's missing a ton of X-Men still, and FF, various Spidey guises, dozens of Avengers, cosmic heroes, 2008 Guardians, 31st century Guardians, loads of villains... again, plenty of fodder for many waves (as they're unlikely to get to even half of them given another 10 years of the license).

Star Wars, kinda the same thing; even basing it on the classic Kenner figures, there are some notable holes TLG hasn't addressed like Zuckuss and 4-LOM, plus many characters (and updates) that Hasbro's repeatedly provided... and then when you get into the EU, which they may still be able to mine if Darth Revan and the Shadowtrooper set (if the latter isn't Rebels-related) is any indication, there are even more to choose from.

LOTR likewise has a couple waves of figures still in it easily, too, if there won't be any new sets.

I would love to see CMF licensed series for IPs that don't normally get attention or don't have enough longevity to warrant a full line. With that said, while I primarily collect SW and Marvel, I wouldn't really want a CMF line from either of those, as I'd much rather just sets from them. This would clear the path for smaller IPs, like Jurassic Park/World or Doctor Who which may not have enough material to warrant sets (as some have pointed out - aside from a Tardis where do you go with Doctor Who?). Simpsons was good way to handle the licensed CMF concept.

As for licensing rights and action figure debates, I still hold to the idea that now that Lego is the number one toy maker and Disney owns SW, all bets are off. Disney could very easily position Lego to have a SW CMF or even their Lego magnets back.

While I don't love the idea of more licensed series, I understand that the rate of 3 regular CMF per year is just too much. So, bring them on!

It would be nice to see The Muppets Series

Online Game series based on a previous rumor.

I think that was a confusion because Funcom said (like a year ago) the MMO would be released next summer along with a CMF series that would include the heroes of the game. In december it was revealed that Series 12 would be out in october, that's why everyone thought (including myself) that they were different series and this year we would have 4 releases.

It's pretty safe to assume the rumored "MMO series" and Series 12 are one and the same since the later includes the "heroes" of the game.

Lego wouldnt be allowed to say they got who license yet, because it would undermine 'characters' uppcoming and current 2014 sales.

:( Guess we'll be waiting for a while then.

I think that was a confusion because Funcom said (like a year ago) the MMO would be released next summer along with a CMF series that would include the heroes of the game. In december it was revealed that Series 12 would be out in october, that's why everyone thought (including myself) that they were different series and this year we would have 4 releases.

It's pretty safe to assume the rumored "MMO series" and Series 12 are one and the same since the later includes the "heroes" of the game.

The major reason was that this summer didn't announce any series, and we expected/believed there was another series to fill that vacancy. I personally don't think series 12 has a featured theme, it's still similiar with previous regular series.

To answer the question: yes

Men, various Teen Titans, loads of Leaguers & JSA members--plenty of DC potential right there without even touching villains! Marvel's missing a ton of X-Men still, and FF, various Spidey guises, dozens of Avengers, cosmic heroes, 2008 Guardians, 31st century Guardians, loads of villains... again, plenty of fodder for many waves (as they're unlikely to get to even half of them given another 10 years of the license).

Star Wars, kinda the same thing; even basing it on the classic Kenner figures, there are some notable holes TLG hasn't addressed like Zuckuss and 4-LOM, plus many characters (and updates) that Hasbro's repeatedly provided... and then when you get into the EU, which they may still be able to mine if Darth Revan and the Shadowtrooper set (if the latter isn't Rebels-related) is any indication, there are even more to choose from.

LOTR likewise has a couple waves of figures still in it easily, too, if there won't be any new sets.

For Superhereos, actually there weren't too many sets every year (for DC and Marvel respectively), and some of them are only tied with a current film. It feels like we won't see a DC set based on non-Batman/Superman storyline and isn't doing with any current film. I do think CMF Superheroes work. The other main problem so far is that LEGO has been giving exclusive minifigures rather than leaving them for any potential set or a CMF series.

For SW, I think it's more impossible. There are indeed choices for CMF, but LEGO tend to make most characters and their variations exclusive to a single set. For example there have been no Bespin Leia redesign but we can almost be sure that she'd be in a future set.

The choices that are not doing with two trilogies and major TV series are the characters based on other media materials or SW history (aka Extended Universe). Darth Raven is one of those rare examples, but not sure if LEGO would do this. As said, they could lack notability and be unable to appeal common consumers because they don't even know who Raven or Exile is, at worst. (oh, and Mara Jade too :sceptic: )

Suppose that LOTR is going to an end, a CMF would be the last save to appeal dissapointed FOLs, I'm sure.

Edited by Dorayaki

The thing with SW EU characters is... It's still Star Wars! Cool aliens, saber-wielders, bounty hunters, troopers, smugglers, droids, etc. That's all that really matters. The "I don't know who that is" excuse doesn't hold water when everyone has Google (and Wookieepedia) in their pockets, and TLG's own site will have bios of all 16 figures in such an assortment. People aren't gonna pass on an Imperial Knight because they never read the Legacy comic...

And there are still plenty of movie characters they can throw into the mix without significantly affecting the pool of characters to populate future sets. Doctor Evazan, Ponda Baba, Hrchek Kal Fas, Tzizvvt, Kabe, Muftak... 6 Cantina denizens who weren't in the Cantina set and likely have no venue for getting released in the next couple years, for example. And that's barely scratching the surface!

Edited by Venkefedo

Even main characters shouldn't be an issue. There's still plenty of variants they can release based on obscure costumes, deleted scenes, concept art etc.

Muppets

Genius idea. Everybody loves Muppets, and the Simpson series proved that we can get 16 new head molds for a series if necessary. I would probably complete this one as well.

I don't watch Doctor Who, but if it becomes the next Ideas set, then minifigures could be a good idea.

Also, Back to the Future and Ghostbusters mini figures and, dare I say it... Sets!