Robert8

LEGO Minifigures licensed series

Best licensed collectable Minifigures series so far  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best licensed collectable Minifigures series so far?

• The Simpsons Series 1
    • The Simpsons Series 2
    • Disney
    • The LEGO Batman Movie Series 1
    • The LEGO Batman Movie Series 2
    • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 1
    • Disney Series 2
    • DC Comics Series
    • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 2

Lego would only produce a CMF licensed series if the action figure line is not tied to another toy maker.....i.e. Haspro.

Why do you think we get minifig battle packs for Star Wars.....they come with something other than minifigs to build.......Lego lost a legal case over ten years ago over just selling minifigs as action figure......the action was taken by Haspro who had the rights to produce action figures for Star Wars.

Lego would only produce a CMF licensed series if the action figure line is not tied to another toy maker.....i.e. Haspro.

Why do you think we get minifig battle packs for Star Wars.....they come with something other than minifigs to build.......Lego lost a legal case over ten years ago over just selling minifigs as action figure......the action was taken by Haspro who had the rights to produce action figures for Star Wars.

Well, it's a special license for minifigures sold seperatley. "minimates" makes alot of figures for properties that also gets normal action figures from other companies.

With star wars however hasbro proapbly have their own thing going.

Other companies like Kubrick made SW figures not all that long ago... Kubricks are practically giant minifigs already. Hasbro's lawyers need to just look the other way... It'd be a blind-bag series, and wouldn't hurt Hasbro's bottom line at all.

Maybe they could do some sort of vintage 60's/70's/80's line?

A-Team

Batman (60's)

Starsky/Hutch

Battlestar Galactica

etc..

I have no idea but perhaps the licensing would come from one or two major studios?

Star Wars is not going to happen, we all know that.

I hope they bring back the idea about Superheroes CMF set but it is unlikely too. I really don't think we will get any other licensed CMF other than The Simpsons for a while.

Edited by Dharkan

The thing with SW EU characters is... It's still Star Wars! Cool aliens, saber-wielders, bounty hunters, troopers, smugglers, droids, etc. That's all that really matters. The "I don't know who that is" excuse doesn't hold water when everyone has Google (and Wookieepedia) in their pockets, and TLG's own site will have bios of all 16 figures in such an assortment. People aren't gonna pass on an Imperial Knight because they never read the Legacy comic...

The final decision rests with LEGO and LF. I think this is still a risk to sell less famous characters just based on the notability of SW brand, unlike regular sets which also appeal common space lovers.

I hope they bring back the idea about Superheroes CMF set but it is unlikely too. I really don't think we will get any other licensed CMF other than The Simpsons for a while.

Agree. But I'm afraid what makes it debateble is whether the second licensed CMF series is still the same license.

I wouldn't mind a pattern of two or three regular CMF series and then one licensed CMF series.

Depends. The room TLM left was as much as regular series had since they're all normal yellow minifigures. Simpsons brings some different plain torso colors while their skin colors are majorly yellow, but they also have arguable heads (which is a shame, there are so many iconic hairstyles that deserve to be new pieces). Common consumers may not be able to keep their interest unless LEGO have a good control of their schedule for different CMF series. Edited by Dorayaki

I would be interested in a Licensed minifigure line if I was interested in the license. I am just at a loss what new license would appeal to me. If there was a Middle Earth CMF or a Superhereos CMF series I would be happy.

The only one that does come to mind, Game of Thrones, would not be considered a proper fit as it is too mature for LEGO.

I doubt they'd make any superhero minifigures, otherwise the sets wouldn't sell. With the simpsons figures there was only one set, the house, so the figures sold better. I think it could work if they did more obscure characters, like squirrel girl or namor, but then kids might not want them as they wouldn't recognise the figures as well as they would with spiderman or iron man...

Doctor Who would be a bummer for me, I'm just not into it. I think super heroes would sell so well so unless it's not in LEGO's contract it's crazy of them to capitalize on. Plus, people who collect CMF but no super heroes would be influenced to buy super heroes after completing the set. I would separate Marvel/DC for sure and there's definitely at least 16 characters each side, and some wicked variants could come out of it too (Minifig scale groot comes to mind)

Doctor Who would be a bummer for me, I'm just not into it. I think super heroes would sell so well so unless it's not in LEGO's contract it's crazy of them to capitalize on. Plus, people who collect CMF but no super heroes would be influenced to buy super heroes after completing the set. I would separate Marvel/DC for sure and there's definitely at least 16 characters each side, and some wicked variants could come out of it too (Minifig scale groot comes to mind)

More than 16... they could easily do a few waves each of Marvel & DC. I do agree the sets will still sell, since they'd obviously use characters/costumes in the sets that aren't in the CMF waves. Like, "Okay, you can get Giant Size X-Men-style Nightcrawler & Colossus in the CMFs, but if you want Cyclops and Storm you've gotta get the Sentinel set!"

It takes very little thought to come up with alternatives to populate the CMFs that'll still sell while leaving plenty of fodder for sets to draw on... oh, you can get a minifig Thing in the CMF set, but if you want bigfig Thing? Gotta buy the Fantasticar set! The Fantasticar also features the FF in their Kirby outfits; want Byrne-era white and blue? CMFs! Want white & black Future Foundation and post-Future Foundation outfits? CMFs! Want Ant-Man, Medusa, She-Hulk, and whats-her-face in their fill-in FF outfits? CMFs! Want the 5 Classic X-Men in black (or dark blue) and gold (or yellow)? CMFs! Astonishing/Professor Kitty Pryde in the CMFs, classic '80s/Excalibur Shadowcat in a set. The 5 original X-Men in their All-New X-Men uniforms in CMFs. Archangel in his X-Factor look in some set vs Apocalypse, but X-Force Archangel in CMFs. Or DC! New 52 Superman in a set, but early New 52 Action Comics t-shirt Superman in a CMF wave.

There's no shortage of characters and variants they can use to populate wave after wave of both sets and CMFs (and purchasing-incentive promo figures for S@H!). Some kids & collectors might bail out after completing a particular iteration of a team, but they're in the extreme minority; it'd probably be extremely obvious at the outset that one cannot focus on JUST the CMFs in order to get every single character they desire.

I would love a Marvel/DC CMF line... it would be a chance for characters who probably wouldn't necessarily get their own minifig anytime soon to shine, like Wasp, She-Hulk, Blade, or Squirrel Girl.

What do people think the chances are of seeing a Futurama CMF line?

I doubt it, since it has officially ended (again...) :sad:

What do people think the chances are of seeing a Futurama CMF line?

*read in The Professor's voice* "According to my calculations, the exact chance of such an anomaly occurring is lim(x->0) x * 100%."

Edited by Jared

A marvel line would be great... The trouble is you'd either have to do just that or DC or do a split between both which would probably never happen

A Nintendo line would be great. Shame K'nex has the license. Well, at least for Mario Kart... Products would be too similar... Legal mess... Oh well. Maybe some day..

Otherwise... Hmm... I'll have to think. The Muppets is a great idea.

Edited by Borador

I think a good idea for the next wave of collectable minifigures would be classic heroes and villains.

Robin Hood, The Sherriff of Nottingham, Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Sherlock Holmes, James Moriarty e.t.c. They could be fleshies for a change and be inspired by the characters as they are in popular media. Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty could be designed from the books and maybe draw references from the Granada Jeremy Brett TV series for designs. Peter Pan and Hook could draw their inspiration from both stories and the many films, Robin Hood and The Sherriff of Nottingham inspiration from the legends and books and maybe movies and Television. It would be an interesting wave and I'm sure others can suggest more iconic heroes and villains that they could make.

A Nintendo line would be great. Shame K'nex has the license. Well, at least for Mario Kart... Products would be too similar... Legal mess... Oh well. Maybe some day.
The actual shame is that K'Nex haven't even released a whole line of Mario Kart characters since they announced the partnership during 2011. They made character blind bag too, but their character selection is still pretty poor since they only tend to make recolors instead of character variations. Their building Super Mario stage and Kart system are nice, so if they also did good for characters, I don't think LEGO Mario is necessary. They could have been a good competitor.

mariobag2.jpg

Edited by Dorayaki

Any other licensed CMF series would come from either TimeWarner or Disney......which means Loonie Tunes or Muppets would work for me !

With fantastical beasts movie they might wanna do a harry potter/fbawtft mixed cmf line, along with normal sets for the new movie.

people could get their rawenclaw and hufflepuff ;)

Deskp, that is a good idea. I can see that being a good reason to revisit Harry Potter with a CMF series that is split between the Fantastical Beasts movies and the original HP.

Harry Potter CMF's is a great idea. They could include characters that Malfoy in his Death Eater attire, Professor Slughorn, James Potter, Lily Potter, updated Tom Riddle, etc.

Sadly, it's unlikely. :sadnew: