Paul B Technic

Are you a collector, MODer, or MOCer?

Nearly completely a collector. I'm just not very good at MOCing.

I fear most of my MOCing would be subject to much mocking ;)

To me, collector and SET are jus the same category. Personally I would say I'm 50% MOCer, 10% MODer and 40% set collector.

As I only returned from my dark age this year, I am not sure yet. But I suspect I am a moccer - the few sets I have build has not really felt satisfactory. (Bag end excluded) Not really much into sets I guess.

Mostly a collector these days as I do not usually have the time. I build the sets I really like (with little modding if any) and take out the minifigures. I have a good amount of sets that I just took the minifigures out of. It's kind of a controversy to my brain right now because I want to MOC but I never have time and I get to wondering why I buy sets when 98% of the pieces just sit there for the once in a blue moon I have enough free hours to MOC something.

Right now I'm considering just going minifigures almost exclusively besides some must have sets that I actually want to build. I used to buy sets I didn't care about with the thought that it would just make my pile of Lego bigger which would help with the MOCs I never get to make and it was better than paying for overpriced minifigures which almost cost as much as the whole set themselves alone. But now I find myself actually considering the impossible and paying crazy amounts for some of those figures I want that are in sets I don't want to build (Heath Joker). It's a rip-off but it still saves me money and I'm really doubting I'm going to get any good amount of free time. Sorting my current collection alone would take DAYS.

Edited by BrickG

I've literally just gotten back into LEGO (for more than collecting Superhero minifigs). So right now, I'm still kind of learning the ropes and sticking to the instructions.

I've gotten to the point though where I have a bunch of models and sets, but it's not 'enough'. So I'm acquiring extra parts to build environs for these things and experimenting with building techniques I see online.

So, I suppose I'm a 'collector'...but all of my kits are purchased for the sake of opening and building (hoarding MIB sets seems absurd to me), with only the finest finished models remaining as intended, and others being culled for parts.

I'm more of a collector, mainly vintage Classic Space.

I do a bit of MOC'ing when I can, but I've got a 2 1/2 and 1 year old at home, so there's not much time for that stuff. :)

Until last year I was 95% a collector. But since december last year I started trying some vignettes, and this was the beginning! Now I am 60% MOC'ing and 40% collecting - most of the sets I own will be used for my MOCs!

I like to build all the set I buy however most will end up with slight modifications and on a rear occasion I will buy a set purely for parts.

Well I buy sets and display them, but I always add more, barrels, foilage, citizens, troops, food, flowers etc around it, so not sure what that puts me under :P

10 % collector (only the modular houses)

0% MOD

90% MOC

I got confused by the term collector, because I found myself now collecting pieces for my next MOCs.

I got confused by the term collector, because I found myself now collecting pieces for my next MOCs.

Yeah, I prefer the term "stock" as in "stock model". As well there are people who are collectors who don't actually build anything so the term is quite confusing in this context.

My numbers:

Stock: 5%

MOD: 75%

MOC: 20%

Of course that may be where I am now but is not "who I am" since I hope to move to much more pure "MOCing" in the future.

I mostly build the original/stock models first, then I nearly always make 2-10 alternates for the same set, but I've made a MOD only 2-3x during the years, so the conclusion is that I'm mostly in MOC. My numbers are something like this:

Stock: 10-20%

MOD: near 0%

MOC: 80-90%

As a child, I was almost 100% MOCer.

During high school and college, I went to almost 100% stocker due to space limitations (less space to store disassembled sets, less space needed to build when all parts are available from one bag or box).

After joining Eurobricks, I have this huge impulse to sort most of my sets together to make MOCs.

I would say I like to be:

30% Stock

70% MOC

0% MOD

I have yet to find a set that I want to MOD without going to the extent of making it a MOC. I generally either like the stock set or I completely rebuild into a MOC.

Collector 99%, but that includes a couple sets I've bricklink'ed together from parts. I've tried my hand at a MOC only once since coming out of the dark ages, and it was a Technic/PF build that seems to delight in tearing itself apart. So, I keep collecting to see if I can get ideas what I'm doing wrong.

Unfortunately collector 95% and MOC/MOD the remaining 5%..but that is only due to time and budget available. I just don't have time to touch LEGO, let alone sit down and MOC something. It usually takes me a while to build something, so nothing ever gets done. I end up just collecting figures/sets (whatever is cheaper) and stockpile pieces until one day when I have time..maybe when I'm dead?

I buy and build sets stock. I buy sets for parts that never get assembled. I mod sets, after building to see how they go together and I MOC from my parts stock. As for percentages...

Stock build 70% from the instructions.

Mod build 15% after first assembling per instructions.

MOC 15%

As with most things from my LEGO hobby these numbers may be skewed because of the amount of time spent sorting and organizing. Sorting and organizing take up more than 50% of time spent on LEGO. Where do the sorting and organizing numbers go?

Could be collection, could be Mod, could be MOC. Any ideas here?

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I MOC. You'd have to pull some pretty extreme stuff to get me to build or MOD.

(snip)..maybe when I'm dead?

Ah, you've just given me a new vision of Heaven, where every part is available in every color, everything is easy to find, and self-sorting; we have all the time in the world to design and build and no one ever steps on a piece while barefoot...

100% collector (with main focus on minifigures). I have thought about building stuff from time to time though, so maybe it'll happen someday :sweet:

MODer at the moment, but getting more into MOCs as our part count increases. Definitely not a collector in the traditional sense.

100% collector at the moment since I moved all my LEGO out of my parents due to no build room in their new location. Before I was building 10-20% of the time, 5% Moding my current built sets and 75-85% collecting new sets for expansion. 100% out of my mind :classic: