Kai NRG

Mount up! Rhopalocera Lagargander (Giant Butterfly)

It seemed like just an average ordinary day in the Jungles of Gorr...

That is, until this thing came along!

15079072306_019ce41f1e.jpg

The scientists back at Petraea University called it Rhopalocera Lagargander. But most of us would have called it a Giant Butterfly... complete with frazzle-haired rider!

15101698572_2319fff59d.jpg

A figless top view:

15101697462_0c8eb45392.jpg

It took years for the natives to figure out how to ride the Giant Butterfly, and it took even longer for others to catch on, but now that they have, this will likely be just the first in a long line of butterfly mounts finding their way into Historica! Not only are they good for speedy aerial transportation and getting a bird (or butterfly's) eye view of the situation, but their flashy colors will be sure to attract admiration flitting along the streets of Barqa or Petraea!

Please note that the base actually has very minimal overhang, it's not 16x16 but 14x14 to allow for the otherwise seriously overhanging bamboo leaves.

I'd like to claim Brick-Built Animals (Agriculture and Zoology), and Waterfall (Hydrology) UoP credits for this build.

Thanks for checking 'er out, I'd appreciate your opinions on how the half border, half overhanging-plants looks, particularly with the inset black.

There are quite a few more pictures on Flickr, several of the base without the Lagargander from various angles.

And yeah, so much for a purple dino... :tongue:

Nice mount, the wings are very eye-catching and the waterfall is nice touch. My only scruple would be that the eyes aren't very realistic, but very well done overall. +1 UoP DoH for both claims

Great mount dude!! Cutest for sure and very well made. i like the way you used the hairpiece also!!

Good job. I really like that colourful butterfly, but we still need more fancy colours in Historica!

Edited by Simon_S

That Mount may have the most personality of any of the entries I've seen! Definitely +1 UoP for you as well

Definitely an unexpected mount, but very well built! :classic:

UoP DoH +1 for both claims.

Thanks everyone!

Nice, the wings are great and I really love how you covered the baseplate all around.

Thanks! I've always admired MS's borders and decided I'd try to do something similar!

That Mount may have the most personality of any of the entries I've seen! Definitely +1 UoP for you as well

:tongue: Actually, it doesn't really reflect my personality at all... I'm not a butterfly lover, but it is pretty unique I guess! Thanks!

Definitely an unexpected mount, but very well built! :classic:

UoP DoH +1 for both claims.

Thanks Gideon!

Woah, definitely a unique entery here! Very creative and I must admit a pretty little build and creature! Nicely detailed and composed.

Makes me wonder what the caterpillar would look like!

I didn't mean your personality, just the creatures. The eyes and colors, etc really make this look like a live creature. That was supposed to be a compliment, but may not have come across that way!

Great personality and very inventive design to give the wings an organic, flowing aesthetic. It looks pretty poseable. How poseable is it?