Sign in to follow this  
Khorne

Heroica RPG - Quest#111: No Fear of the Setting Sun

Lynne walks over to the three men.

"Yes, hello! Do any of you know or are a man named Orel Cayne?

The Hinckwell guard throws a quick glance in Lynne's general direction, to say if the question was directed at him. Concluding it wasn't really, he just strolled on, continuing his tour guarding and surveying Hinckwell assets in the docks.

Lynne had a bit more luck with the others.

av_farmer_zps355801e2.png

"Teehee, Laurel. That's a funny name," the pig farmer laughed and snorted, patting his knees. "I don't know anyone with that name. I don't go out much, I usually spent me days on the farm. Conversing with me piggies is all the conversations I needs. Well, poor Bert'll be off again. Gots to sell this 'un to make some money. Pig meat is good, you ought to try it someday, it'll give ya sum colour."

With that, the simpleton farmer give a slight nod and smile, only half aware at how rude his remark actually was, and then continued his way, too.

av_orel_zpsc14ec146.png

"I'm Orel, yes. Second of my name, really. And 'Cayne' is indeed my surname. Like a walking cane, only spelled differently.", the man stated. "So, who's asking? Are you the Heroica lot, per chance? I thought I asked for three of you, I only notice the knight and you, miss."

The man raised an eyebrow. Orel made a confused impression on the heroes.

av_orel_zpsc14ec146.png

"Wha-? You...are a hero, too? I didn't know they let them join so join at Heroica," Orel said somewhat baffled. He was a bit reluctant about having a child accompany him, but quickly relented. "Very well then, seeing as you are the Heroes that will join me, we might as well get this started. Let us find some sort of transport first, we can't very well swim to our destination, now can we?"

Orel chuckled nervously. He wasn't even aware the Heroes didn't know where they were going. Noticing the Heroes' somewhat puzzled looks, he then quickly added: "You do know where we are going, right? I take it that they have told you of this already?"

Polly's joke made the Paladin loosen up a bit. His nervous attitude relaxed and the man let out a hearty chuckle.

av_orel_zpsc14ec146.png

"Well, well, look at the brains on the young one. You are indeed correct, miss, we are going to sea. More specifically, we need a boat ride to Dastan Yes, Dastan again :tongue: ."

As the party slowly started walking away from where they were standing, Orel took out a map and unfolded it while they were walking. He pointed towards the northernmost settlement of the Empire.

map_small_zpscfc41d06.jpg

"Farrech. It's the last outpost city of the "civilized" Empire, before it gives way to the lawless Northern March. That is were we are going first. My Order believes I will find more information about our lost missionary there. If we're lucky, the man is wandering about the premises in that place, otherwise, we will have to wait and see where our information leads us to next. If we find anything at all, that is... You lot have been to Dastan before?"

QM Note: Map links to a bigger version. Sorry for the poor quality. Photobucket apparently likes to screw up my maps. :sceptic:

Polly shook her head as she inspected the map with wide eyes. "No, but my big brother's girlfriend is from there. She brought me a dragon scale once. It tasted awful!"

"Dastan...? I... Never heard of the placer, honestly. Looks pretty dry by the looks of things - mountainous, too."

av_orel_zpsc14ec146.png

"Dastan? Well, this shall be a fun quest. Thou have a ship?

" 'Fun' wouldn't exactly be the word I'd use to describe the situation, sir...?" the Paladin searched for a name, only to realize he didn't know a single name of his new companions.

"See, the Empire is still in the process of rebuilding after the last war. The internal composition of the Empire is a fickle one and thus it will take time before all wounds will be fully healed. The process is a slow one. So, no, 'fun' wouldn't not be the word I'd use, at all. There's danger lurking around every corner right now in Dastan. The borders are relatively open as many soldiers have been pulled back to the interior to safeguard the Empire and its citizens there. I do wonder how the situation in Farrech will be once we get there."

"I don't have a ship. The Order's military material is held up elsewhere and to use one of our own warships simply to ferry us to Dastan would be overkill, don't you think? We'll try to find a ship here that will take us to Dastan for a reasonable price."

"Dastan...? I... Never heard of the placer, honestly. Looks pretty dry by the looks of things - mountainous, too."

"Most of it is indeed rather dry. The climate is temperate and the more you head north, the colder it gets. It also gets greener. The mountains and plains of the south slowly give way to the steppes and rolling hills of the Northern March, the frontier region that serves as a buffer to shield the more prosperous and civilized south from Viking incursions."

"Don't quote me on this later, but I'm pretty sure we won't need to be hiking in the mountains. After all, the purpose of missionaries is to convert people and spread Ennoc's faith. There aren't much people in the mountains. On the contrary, the eastern mountains are actually the home of the ancient race of Dragons."

"Anyway, let's find ourselves a ship first. If there's anything else you want to know or ask me about where we're going, don't hesitate. I can't promise I know all the answers, but I'll try to share any information I have."

Since Eubric was a port city and a main trading hub in the Crystalline Sea, it didn't take the party all that long to find themselves a ship with a captain that claimed he was their man to take them to the Dastanese continent. While the heroes were busy negotiating the price of said voyage, an eccentric though enigmatic Hinckwell merchant and his Werelion guard joined the fray.

eubric_docks_2_zpsee8e7ceb.jpg

av_snorri_zps74ac0177.png

"I'm your man. I'll take you to Dastan, sure! For the mere price of 5 gold each, I, Snorri shall see it as my duty to get you to Dastan safely, by Njordon!", the man stated in a heavy sing-song accent, typical of those who hail from the North. Obviously, the man was a Norse immigrant trying to make his living in Eubric now.

Before the heroes could close the deal, they were interrupted.

av_zpsc6654f42.png

"Hah! Don't trust that Norseman. He'll slit your throats and steal your purses. He'll chop off your heads and feed your bodies to the sharks. If you're lucky you'll be sleeping when he does that. No, sir-ee, I am who you should trust to take you to Dastan."

"I have a ship full of merchandise that needs to be taken to some Dastanese port and I could use some mercs such as yourselves to protect the goods. Pleased to meet you! Konrad Krowne is my name and making good bargains is my game. You know what, if you come with me, I'll even pay you each 7 gold for your effort! What say you, lasses and sir?"

The merchant assumed a proud composure, one hand in his side and using the other to twirl his mustache. Konrad was clearly no stranger to brokering trading deals and seeing to it that he received the better end of it.

"Wha-? I won't kill you, I promise! I swear it on my honor, in the names of Wartan, Torrik and Helvetia! Please, I need the coin. Poor Snorri needs this. Life is hard in Eubric for an honest Nordman. Look, I'll even lower my price to 2 gold each. That's as far as I can go, though."

What will the party do? Which captain will they choose?

"Aye. That's what I mean. Fun."

"Hmm... there's something off about that rich merchant guy. It's just a gut feeling and the other norseman seems somewhat more honest. "

"I like the big kitty cat though." Polly grinned at the were-lion. "Plus why would the nice merchant man lie to us?" Polly inquired of her older companions.

"I like the big kitty cat though." Polly grinned at the were-lion. "Plus why would the nice merchant man lie to us?" Polly inquired of her older companions.

"Some people aren't nice, Polly...

Tell me, merchant, what is your cargo? And why do you believe that the Norseman will harm us?"

av_zpsc6654f42.png

"What my ship carries is none of your concern, really. You're simply being requested to tag along to protect the goods, like a well-paid mercenary is supposed to. As for the matter with the Nord. Really, are you daft? That's just what those barbarians do, it's their way of life. You can't trust folk like that."

av_zpsc6654f42.png

"What my ship carries is none of your concern, really. You're simply being requested to tag along to protect the goods, like a well-paid mercenary is supposed to. As for the matter with the Nord. Really, are you daft? That's just what those barbarians do, it's their way of life. You can't trust folk like that."

"Hmm.. we are getting paid..."

Ooc: I feel like a battle will ensue if we protect the cargo... but with a cleric and my ability to rest, we won't really need to spend much on resupplying potions and such. Seems like a good tradeoff and we each make moneh and experience.

Edited by Capt.JohnPaul

OoC: I understand the probabilities of a battle and our chances of surviving associated with each option, I'm just trying to make a decision based on character. :shrug_oh_well:

Polly stepped back and pondered a little bit. On the one hand the man in blue didn't seem very happy even though he had a big pet kitty and on the other hand the nordic man was definitely more cheerful even if he sounded funny.

"Well Mr. Sanders, we could always use more gold..."

"Alright, let's go with mister merchant man. Do we get paid before we leave or when we get there?"

"Alright, let's go with mister merchant man. Do we get paid before we leave or when we get there?"

av_zpsc6654f42.png

"You get paid when we get there, of course, little one. I need to see if you're worth my investment first!", the merchant laughed, once again twirling his mustache.

He gestured the party to follow him as he made his way to his ship. " Now let's get to my ship. I'm telling you, you won't regret this! I sure won't."

"D'awww, poor Snorri. I almost had some new customers today. Better luck next time, I guess...", were the only words the saddened Snorri could utter as he saw three customers disappear in front of him.

The next update with pictures of you actually boarding the ship and whatnot will only be for tommorrow. Sorry guys :sad: This is the last, minor update for today...

"Yeah... I trust you two's decisions. I just hope it was the right one... That Norseman didn't seem malicious at all."

God, I'm sooooo sorry, but I won't be able to update again tonight :sad: . Something came up that kind of ruines the way I had planned my evening. You guys are on the ship right now and on the sea, so if you want you can RP a little between your characters and I pinky-promise an update with pictures tommorrow :sweet:

Here's the official you're on a boat at sea post! :tongue:

A rowing boat took the party from the docks towards a Hinckwell cog. It wasn't a big boat, but it would enough to make the trip from Eubric to the western shore of Dastan.

Soon the party was out at sea, with the Fortuna cleaving through the waves like they were nothing. For a long while the winds were in their favor and the crew made steady progress. At the helm, one of the Hinckwell guards was scanning the horizons for any possible threats, while Konrad stood next to him, enjoying the ride.

boat-front_zpsdaf34145.jpg

Meanwhile, some of the workers were busy handling the cargo and tending to the general needs of the cog.

boat-middle_zps174964ee.jpg

Slowly, however, the winds died out and the speedy progress grinded to a halt. Fog was starting to pack together near the ship. The crew got restless and spoke in hushed voice to each other. The guard that was surveilling the waters nervously peered through his looking glass, turning from one side to the other.