takuto20

What is wrong with me?

I have been giving a great deal of thought to this since we first saw the 10190 Market Street set, and now with the 10182 Caf

Edited by takuto20

1) Am I alone in this?

No, you're not alone. There are plenty of people left who only want to build in the old, simple style. That tends to be for two reasons...either they have no SNOT ability, or they are really centered around nostalgia and collect lego because of nostalgia. I'm sure there are other reasons though, but those are the two main ones that jump out at me. However, you'll find most people build in the new style.

2)Is this the future?

Yes, it is. Lego is moving onto more complicated and advanced building techniques. They're catering more to the general AFOL, and heck, kids tend to like it more too, because it looks more "real". You're 110% allowed to have your opinion, so don't let anyone tell you that it's wrong to not like that building style, however I'm curious about what you meant about the police truck you posted. How did it feel like cheating? It was a pretty straight-forward build, barely any SNOT or advanced building techniques to be found!

Also, don't confuse SNOT with "illegal", as you seem to have in your post. Illegal building techniques are ones where pieces are used as they were not intended, in ways that stress, and could eventually potentially break the elements. Yes, some SNOT is illegal, but some normal techniques are illegal too! Heck, TLG themselves used to produce several sets with "Illegal" building techniques, such as the old ears on horses.

Edited by Starwars4J

I know what you mean.

The Market Street set and Caf

Edited by bonaparte

There are plenty of people left who only want to build in the old, simple style.
simplicity is a sign of perfection ;-) read on...
That tends to be for two reasons...either they have no SNOT ability...
personally (i see this is a common word in this thread ;-)) this has nothing to do with it. and it has nothing to do with tradition, or crap like that either.

for me, it has to do with how your mind perceives life, and represents it in art. i would suggest reading my post here for a full view of my view on that...

http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/eurofo...wtopic=7927&hl=

you know, as an illustrator and art enthusiast, i've started to wonder if a connection can be realized between people's fine art interests and their LEGO MOCing interests.

for example, my current work (in non-LEGO art) is greatly influenced by peit mondrian (one of the great mod art movement contributors).

Piet_Mondrian_ptg.jpg

i love art that is simple, and refined... my interests are as far removed from "highly rendered" as possible. i care so much less about the work that the renaissance "masters" did, compared to the work of the "modern" movement. for me, visual appeal happens when all the fluff is taken out, and all you have left is a balance of composition, color and shapes.

this notation can also be extended to my other interests in life... for example my favorite music, warehouse NYC techno, is simple and calculated. every minuet pitch change can be heard in every instrument, and that is what makes the music beautiful. and reduction of noise, and an emphasis in exploring sounds as they change.

picasso is quoted for saying "art is the elimination of the unnessesary" and i find that to be true when speaking about my LEGO MOC interests. i care less for multi thousand piece "sculpted" MOCs... instead i explore simple, calculate MOCs where each piece means something, there are no "filler" bricks, and you can't use two 1x2 bricks in place of one 1x4 brick.

--------------------------------------------------

now, for the sake of discussion and enlightenment... i extended this question to you, to see if anyone else can find this true about themselves... is there a connection between your fine art interests (or any other art form outside of LEGOs) and LEGO MOCing interests.

im excited to hear and discuss - BrickMiner

--------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT: im not suggesting any one style of MOCing (or art in general) is better than another... it's merely a matter of interest, and exploring the type of artistic stimulation your mind enjoys.

these are reason why i put "advanced" in quotes when referring to the CC... the word implies "better". saying this Michelangelo is "better" or more "advanced" than Mondrian is just ridiculous, after all, Mondrian came much later.

simplicity and representation is why i felt in love with LEGO as a kid. the artform of LEGO represents a simplified interpretation of life... if i wanted Michelangelo super-reality and highly rendered miniatures, i would have gotten into scale-model-building :-X

but that isn't my hobby, its not how i perceive life and art... LEGO is.

there is a reason why i picked up on SYSTEM style LEGO as a kid, i was smart and knew what i liked ;-)

- Brick Miner

Simplicity and representation is why i felt in love with LEGO as a kid. the artform of LEGO represents a simplified interpretation of life... if i wanted Michelangelo super-reality and highly rendered miniatures, i would have gotten into scale-model-building :-X

This is exactly what I think about LEGO and representation of human life!

I like that anything is perfect in LEGO in therme of scale: 4-wide cars just for 1 minifig, no stairs, no back,...

I understand what you are saying Takuto. I'm more a classic city afol too. So I try to downscaled big sets like Caf

thanks for posting this, i'll be curious to see where this topic goes, because so far, all i have heard is that AFOL want this to be the only direction for the hobby...

- BrickMiner

I have no problems with these new sets, they

Am I alone in this?

I have disliked many of the changes in the past. When Lego first started doing different heads, I was shocked and disapointed as I felt that it reduced the ability to use heads for whatever characted as you wanted. But that was during my Dark Ages so it seemed to me at the time another good reason to stop buying Lego. However, I feel this way as it is what I grew up with. (As tedbeard highlights, if I started five years earlier I may have disliked Minifigs with arms. I doubt it though!) Over time my opinion changed but I do find it interesting that many of the sets that I saw at the time as sacrilege (for example most of the pirate sets) are now seen as classics. But that is what is best about Lego. You can like some aspects of it and dislike others and it doesn't really matter. I do like most of the new city sets though, although I do semi-regret buying the 7893 plane; it is a bit too big and the nose, tail and wings are hard to re-use.

The Caf

Must... sacrifice... disbeleiver... to... Cafe... Corner... Gods!

Nah, just kiddin'! ;-) As much as I disagree, you are entitaled to your opinion.

Thanks everybody! It looks like it was not only me, what a relief.

I am also more than happy with the current CITY (that gorgeous Service Station will be my next purchase whenever it comes to Asia) because more or less it keeps the old LEGO City standards (not *that* old, I mean the standard of my childhood: I still want my minifigs with arms and grins!!!).

So this is what I will do (That LDD design is not mine, so I included the address):

dibujo.png

I can see the original Cafe Corner looks more stunning, but what about the charm?

Starwars4J got me: Maybe I have to add my total lack of SNOT ability to the other reasons like the nostalgia factor, etc

Edited by takuto20

Can someone please post examples of illegal constructions (those horse ears?) or at least point me to the right thread?

Gladly.

http://www.peeron.com/scans/375-2/18

Step 3 of making the horses. The gap between two studs is smaller than the width of a plate and it will deform the piece given time. I am not sure if Lego do this in any other set, but I used to.

Gladly.

http://www.peeron.com/scans/375-2/18

Step 3 of making the horses. The gap between two studs is smaller than the width of a plate and it will deform the piece given time. I am not sure if Lego do this in any other set, but I used to.

The cannons on the USS Constellation is like that also in both the original and legend (!) variants. I think Count Sneffy made a thread on that some time ago....

Hm, I don't know takuto, I still see some SNOT in that MOC above the window :-P Really nice find though

Not to mention the sign above the door, the sign under the lamppost's glass, and the bench. ;-)

Me also like the old buildingstyle of lego. And i also think that closing the

back of buildings costs a lot of bricks. So thats why i will convert the cc

and mp to oldstyle as soon as i will buy them.

So the back and half the side will go. That way i will save a lot of bricks

for other buildings lol.

Hers a picture to show what i mean:

lddscreenshot14thumb.png

Edited by FreeBee

I strongly dislike modded parts, and I also dislike the way some people for example, remove min-fig hands and use them in other ways.
yes, that is just hideous, isn't it. for me, some parts have a very strong association to what they can be used as. the minifig hand is one of them. i will always see a minifig hand, even if its supposed to be a lever (<=== just one example i have seen), or whatever.

association is a strong tool, similar to iconography. i think there is an art to using this association to your advantage... but i also agree that their is some creativity in breaking that association. my mind is so much more fascinated with using the tool of association, rather than breaking it.

but i think the important thing is to recognize there is a difference, and to use your style to your advantage. again, im not saying one technique is better or more "advanced" than the other. its how you harness the technique.

but again, that

The cannons on the USS Constellation is like that also in both the original and legend (!) variants.

Sorry to be a smarty pants, but are you sure?

http://www.peeron.com/scans/398-1/9/

yes, that is just hideous, isn't it. for me, some parts have a very strong association to what they can be used as. the minifig hand is one of them. i will always see a minifig hand, even if its supposed to be a lever (<=== just one example i have seen), or whatever.

It is good to know that I am not the only one!

Yes, that is precisely what I intended. ;-)

Takuto, I love your post. I don't hold the same opinion you have but I love how you assume something may be wrong with you.

Of course, nothing's wrong with you. There are all kinds of fruits in the garden of life. If you don't like the fruit, don't eat it, but it still has it's rightful place in the garden... :-X

But, seriously. I like moving upward and onward towards more detailed buildings, but I love to look at layouts where people like the classic style of LEGO building. For me, it's nostalgic and beautiful in it's own right. Alex54 has a great layout in the classic style, perhaps he'll post a link and share it with us!

However, I think the front of the Prisoner Transport is cheating, too. An engine could never fit in there! I think they're two separate issues. The difference between Cafe Corner and Main Street is one issue and plain bad design is a separate issue.

Got a funny story for you to close. I just bought Holiday Villa on Bricklink and I showed it to my partner. He said "Wow, that's vintage LEGO."

So that's how the style looks to some people. Vintage. Like shag rugs, avocado appliances, orange laminate countertops and pattern wallpaper. I guess that's how I feel about the two different styles. Vintage is nice to look at and nostalgic but I wouldn't want it in my house...

...except for the Public Works which I shall never ever dissassemble...(Johnny 5)

Personal Style on!

Thanks everybody! It looks like it was not only me, what a relief.

I am also more than happy with the current CITY (that gorgeous Service Station will be my next purchase whenever it comes to Asia) because more or less it keeps the old LEGO City standards (not *that* old, I mean the standard of my childhood: I still want my minifigs with arms and grins!!!).

So this is what I will do (That LDD design is not mine, so I included the address):

I can see the original Cafe Corner looks more stunning, but what about the charm?

Thank you for taking my LDD creations as samples of "classic town" creations :-)

Infact this is my favourite style: my current layour is with 4-wide cars and 6-wide trucks, and buildings with open back (like almost all my LDD creations)

Although I understand how you feel, and to some extent feel the same in many ways, I think the good thing about the new buildings is that as an adult these look less like toys and more like models.