SMC

Eurobricks structure, moderating, member involvement and more

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be more involved in how decisions are made on eurobricks?

• I think it works well as it is
    • I would like to see more consultation with senor members
    • I would like to see more consultation with all members
  2. 2. How do you find the moderating on eurobricks

• I think the site is under moderated to a negative extent
    • I think the site is under moderated but it doesn’t have much affect
    • I think the balance of moderating is good
    • I think the site is over moderated but it doesn’t have much affect
    • I think the site is over moderated to a negative extent
  3. 3. Should we start a new topic for a subtheme each year (i.e LOTR 2014)?

• Yes, we should have a new topic each year
    • No, let’s just keep one topic
  4. 4. Do you care about spelling, punctuation and text speak?

• Yes, it is important to the site that it is of a high standard
    • People should try their best but it should not be moderated unless really bad
    • No, let people write how they write
  5. 5. Lastly I would like to thank all the staff for their hard work

• Yes, Thank You
    • No, I am grumpy
  6. 6. Would you like a topic for each level (i.e. Knight, Count) that you can only see once you have reached that level

• Yes, Good idea
    • No, keep everything open to everyone
  7. 7. Is it important that people stay on topic

• Yes, lets keep things in there place
    • No, lets have a free flowing conversation
  8. 8. Are topics locked too often

• Yes, if they are unwated they will soon drop down the page
    • No, we need order

If I ran eurobricks (another good topic name) I would split the forum in the following way:

Town & Life

City, Creator, Architecture

(As creator like city is mostly modern they go together well and there are a number of sets that crossover, I don't mind that creator is not always mini figure scale as you get micro scale MOCs in space, history and others. Adding Architecture keeps all buildings in one place)

Trains

(Trains gets its own subtheme as train guys need to be kept on their own)

Space & Sci-Fi

(Think you can guess this one)

Star Wars

(Star Wars gets its own subtheme as it is so big and long lasting)

History & Fantasy

Castle, Vikings, Wild West, Lord of the Rings

Pirates

(Pirates gets its own subtheme as like train guys they need to be kept on their own)

Action & Adventure

Agents, Dino, Atlantis, Pharaoh's Quest, Prince of Persia, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Jurassic World

Super Heroes

DC Comics, Marvel

(Super Heroes gets its own subtheme as it is so big and long lasting)

Media & Cartoons

CMF, Mixels, Lego Movie, Ninjago, Chima, Simpsons, Toy Story, TMNT

(Media as in Legos own lines that might have a cartoon or film to go with them. I put CMF here partly because of the online game and partly because it fits with the Lego Movie in being a crossover theme)

Friends & Minidolls

Friends, Elves, Disney princess

Technic & Robots

Technic, Mindstorms and any other advanced technology lines

Oversize & Oddities

Bionicle, Hero Factory, Fabuland, Duplo

As you can see there is no need for licensed themes as they just go into their respective themes, at the moment some go in licensed and some don’t which is a little odd. There is also no need for special themes. MOCs and art can go in the theme that best fits the subject matter, it doesn’t matter which set the bricks you used come from just what the subject matter is.

Edited by SMC

I think that if we asked a number of people what their favourite forum structure would be, I think that we'd get that many distinct answers. So as you see, there's no point in changing things that most of the users already got used to, even though it sometimes doesn't make the best sense. To fulfil everyone's wishes really is impossible.

I think that if we asked a number of people what their favourite forum structure would be, I think that we'd get that many distinct answers. So as you see, there's no point in changing things that most of the users already got used to, even though it sometimes doesn't make the best sense. To fulfil everyone's wishes really is impossible.

Well I agree that people will all have there own favourite forum structure and I just wanted to see if I could come up with something that worked and meant that everything in one line could be in the same theme. But I don't think we should keep something just because it is the ways its always been. We know there has been a lot of talk about friends and a decision was made but now we have a new line and things change so our right decision before might be wrong now.

If you look at my structure I didn't really change that much the only forums I got rid of were Special and Licensed, in other words the ones which cover a number of themes that did not have a real home. I have also considered how thing are at the moment when making a structure the only reason I gave pirates and trains there own forum was because they have one now. Lego has not given us many sets for these lines over the last few years. I am very happy with what I came up with. CMF, Mixels, Lego Movie, Architecture, Bionicle, Hero Factory, Fabuland, Duplo were al hard to place but I think I did a good job and I think it would be easier to know where to place things. For example at the moment there is a winter village topic in special and town forums, we can test it by getting a few hard to place sets and seeing in which structure it is easier to find there home.

We could also open topics with polls and ask people where a new line should go, for example if Harry Potter were new we could ask if it should go in History & Fantasy or Action & Adventure. Let people have a voice in what happens and they will feel more part of it.

Edited by SMC

@SMC

What forum should a building go, if it's Friends minidoll building?

Friends because of the doll og building because it's a building?

Same if you build a spacestation with Friends as someone did just recently?

Space or Friends?

@SMC

What forum should a building go, if it's Friends minidoll building?

Friends because of the doll og building because it's a building?

Same if you build a spacestation with Friends as someone did just recently?

Space or Friends?

If its a mini doll set it should go in the friends & minidolls forum, if its a MOC the person that made it can decide where it is best suited to go (I would say friends) and even post a link to the MOC in the other topic. We see crossovers all the time and it is not just friends. I was going to make a LOTRs train the other day, where should that go? I don't see why friends is with city just for this MOC crossover reason. I have seen technic walking castles and we have a large number of building MOCs in super hereos, that is as suited to city as friends is. I think it comes down to people dont think that friends is strong enough to have its own topic and that MOCs won't be seen but at the moment because it is not strong friends gets lost in town.

Edited by SMC

If its a mini doll set it should go in the friends & minidolls forum, if its a MOC the person that made it can decide where it is best suited to go (I would say friends) and even post a link to the MOC in the other topic. We see crossovers all the time and it is not just friends. I was going to make a LOTRs train the other day, where should that go? I don't see why friends is with city just for this MOC crossover reason.

So it's only building when it's minifigs even though it's pretty easy to swap the minifigs with minidolls...

So it's only building when it's minifigs even though it's pretty easy to swap the minifigs with minidolls...

We have the same thing with a lot of other themes, super heroes is full of modern building and vehicles. You don't get people in the train forum saying why are they not in town so more people can see there MOCs. I don't get why if you like a line having its own forum would be such a problem.

People that like town can look in a friends forum too, Lego will always have crossover appeal that's what makes it so fun but if we are going to split themes up on the forum why not do it in the same way Lego, shop and other sites split up the themes.

We have the same thing with a lot of other themes, super heroes is full of modern building and vehicles. You don't get people in the train forum saying why are they not in town so more people can see there MOCs. I don't get why if you like a line having its own forum would be such a problem.

And I don't get why Friends are so special that it needs it's own place, great MOC's wont get the same attention if it's keept away from the themes they would fit in, just because there are minidolls instead of minifigs.

I like how the Eurobricks looks like, it's easy to navigate, and there are only a few subforums that don't have daily activities.

And I don't get why Friends are so special that it needs it's own place, great MOC's wont get the same attention if it's keept away from the themes they would fit in, just because there are minidolls instead of minifigs.

I like how the Eurobricks looks like, it's easy to navigate, and there are only a few subforums that don't have daily activities.

Its special because it is special, Lego went in a new direction with friends firstly aiming it a girls when all other sets have been aim at both boys and girls (ok some more at boys but nothing like friends) secondly having minidolls not minifigs is a big move away from what has gone before. There would not have been this problem if friends were not successful, we have friends, animal cmf type things, Disney princess and now elves. This means if you do like this range you have to look in city (for friends) licence (for Disney princes) history (for elves) and special (for cmf animals). It is messy. There are lots of great MOC all over eurobricks, there are lots of great building MOCs in other parts of the site, city is not the be all and end all. If I were you I would be talking to the supermarkets about why friends doesn't even fall under the lego range in there shops or to lego to ask them why they wanted to divide boys and girls lego and make it less integrated by using different figures.

Its special because it is special, Lego went in a new direction with friends firstly aiming it a girls when all other sets have been aim at both boys and girls (ok some more at boys but nothing like friends) secondly having minidolls not minifigs is a big move away from what has gone before. There would not have been this problem if friends were not successful, we have friends, animal cmf type things, Disney princess and now elves. This means if you do like this range you have to look in city (for friends) licence (for Disney princes) history (for elves) and special (for cmf animals). It is messy. There are lots of great MOC all over eurobricks, there are lots of great building MOCs in other parts of the site, city is not the be all and end all. If I were you I would be talking to the supermarkets about why friends doesn't even fall under the lego range in there shops or to lego to ask them why they wanted to divide boys and girls lego and make it less integrated by using different figures.

Hmm.. It's not more messy than if you like Star Wars, Chima and Agent, they have all minifigures shaped minifigures.

I don't know how stores in the UK looks like, never been to that part of Europe. But here the minidollsets are places next to minifiguresets. In TRU Friends are placed next to City and Princess next to Creator.

They are not placed next to Barbie, Monsters High and other dolls.

Same goes for the supermarkets, LEGO has their own area.

They did a lot of test on girls in the targetgroup and the dolls were a winner, and if minidolls are what makes little girls wants to play with construction toys, why should we as AFOL complain?

The other day in TRU, I heard a Uncle tell his girlfriend about the Disney Princess set his nephew loves and which Friends set the boys has on his wishlist along the minifigureset.

LEGO might have gone its own direction marketing Friends and related minidoll themes to girls, but Eurobricks site structure is not dictated by LEGO's decisions. The internet, people on this site included, were up in arms about there needing to be 'girl themes,' but AFOLs show just how similar those girl themes are to every other theme. MOCs should go in the forums where the subject matter relates, and saying 'girl theme' isn't subject matter. These 'girl themes' are just themes, with certain color pallets and yes, different figures. They still should be broken up based on their actual content.

Superheroes also should not be broken off from Licensed because it's not enough of its own thing. Plus, the majority of MOCs in Licensed currently are Superhero-related. If Superheroes were taken away, the Licensed forum would be left fairly dead. Comics might have the same amount of fanbase as Star Wars out in the world (debatable), but I don't see it yet when it comes to LEGO. Down the line that could be a discussion to have, but for now LEGO Marvel and DC aren't big enough to go anywhere other than right where they are.

Superheroes also should not be broken off from Licensed because it's not enough of its own thing. Plus, the majority of MOCs in Licensed currently are Superhero-related. If Superheroes were taken away, the Licensed forum would be left fairly dead. Comics might have the same amount of fanbase as Star Wars out in the world (debatable), but I don't see it yet when it comes to LEGO. Down the line that could be a discussion to have, but for now LEGO Marvel and DC aren't big enough to go anywhere other than right where they are.

You cant argue on one hand that super heroes are not big enough and on the other that if they left licensed there would not be much left and lets remind our self that trains and pirates have there own forum, super heroes is bigger than both of them put together, also star wars might be super big but sci-fi is not, we split up sci fi and star wars but not city and friends. But people that build ships wont see my MOC. There is not a lot of consistency when you look into it but boy do people not like change.

Also if you don't what a friends forum why do we have a licensed forum surly a lot of these like friends could be spilt up by there theme and a lot could go in action and super heroes are present day, minifig scale, buildings and cars so town it is?

And as for MOCs I said the person who made it can pick where it best fits the same with art. We treat friends like everyone hates it so it cant have its own theme, it just city really. Some people like friends and princess right? They might want to talk about it in a friends forum.

Trains has is own topic because some people love trains, same for pirates but it seems like friends cant have one because no one likes it?

Is it just me?

Why don't we put a poll in town and find out, why don't we put a poll in history and see if people want Elves there?

Edited by SMC

Another example were the logic was not conisitant with what you mods are saying was Lone Ranger. You put it into Liscensed although the people who build Western post their mocs in the History forum. At the same time LotR remained in the History forum whereas PotC remained in the pirates forum.

Anyhow, I now have several Western Mocs using LR figures (except that I swaped flesh for yellow) but I'm not posting them because I wonder where to post them.

I'm not coming from a place of being resistant to change. There are just more Star Wars builders and train builders out there than there are Superhero builders. Forums are not just about the set discussions; those take just a few topics. The rest, and bulk, of each subforum is taken up with MOCs. Superheroes does not even get that many MOCs on its own compared to the likes of trains.

Maybe trying to compare fanbases was a poor argument on my part, but when we compare number of builders it's fairly clear. We don't need a separate Superhero forum just so that the two discussion threads and an average amount of MOC threads can go there. Sure, you're right, as a LEGO theme Superheroes is getting big and is poised to stick around for a long time, but neither of those factors is enough for it to warrant its own whole section.

Some Licensed themes do get into grey area. Lone Ranger could perhaps have gone in History. I'd say going forward anyone with a Western themed MOC is better off posting it in History than in Licensed. Something like PoP could also have potentially gone in History. And Minecraft could move to Licensed. So sometimes there are plenty of possibilities.

Some Licensed themes do get into grey area. Lone Ranger could perhaps have gone in History. I'd say going forward anyone with a Western themed MOC is better off posting it in History than in Licensed. Something like PoP could also have potentially gone in History. And Minecraft could move to Licensed. So sometimes there are plenty of possibilities.

I think this is why the subforum headings really need to be updated. EB does a good job with the exceptions - tossing PotC into Pirates and LotR into History to give the fans there something to discuss. They just need to be compiled somewhere.

LEGO might have gone its own direction marketing Friends and related minidoll themes to girls, but Eurobricks site structure is not dictated by LEGO's decisions. The internet, people on this site included, were up in arms about there needing to be 'girl themes,' but AFOLs show just how similar those girl themes are to every other theme. MOCs should go in the forums where the subject matter relates, and saying 'girl theme' isn't subject matter. These 'girl themes' are just themes, with certain color pallets and yes, different figures. They still should be broken up based on their actual content.

Huh. I actually really appreciate this reply. It's nice to see that social concerns (gender equality, in this case) are an active consideration here, and not just offered token lip service. And on a site devoted to construction toys no less! :D

As to the larger subject of this thread, I don't find the moderation here to be at all intrusive. I generally use forums on mobile (where user ranks aren't visible here) and was surprised to see that persons happily chatting along with everyone were, in fact, staff. There's no sense of 'overlording' or any sort of elitism that is common to other forums I've visited.

Yet, these boards are generally filled with apt discussion and polite postings.

So, whatever you're all doing: keep it up! It's one of my favorite online destinations these days. :D

Edited by klinton

If a MOC is a generic "Western" it belongs in History, even if it uses fleshies. If it is based on the movie, it belongs in Licensed. Simple and not inconsistent.

LOTR and POTC are the inconsistencies, not the norm. And there were reasons for those being put where they were.

Princesses are a Licensed theme. It'll stay in Licensed. If some members don't want to look at it, don't open those topics.

The Superheroes lines are not large enough to warrant their own forum. If they do at some point in the future, we'll see that and be flexible about it. There may be some organizational changes within Licensed at some point anyway. I have some ideas that might make it easier to navigate. We'll see.

Since this topic is about Eurobricks structure, I'm going to ask here:

Why is The Lego Movie in Special LEGO Themes? Isn't it licensed to Warner Bros.?

(I'm sorry if this has been discussed or clarified before)

"Licensed" seems to work the other way... When LEGO gets the license from outside. When the first topic was made, nobody had a clue what the movie was going to be about, so it got dumped in Special Themes. I'd like to think it would have gone to City if people knew more about it earlier.

It would be good to update the tag lines, especially for Licensed:

Prince of Persia, Toy Story 3, Indiana Jones, Batman, Harry Potter, Spiderman, Spongebob Squarepants, Ferrari and more

Most of those themes are a bit out of date.

If a MOC is a generic "Western" it belongs in History, even if it uses fleshies. If it is based on the movie, it belongs in Licensed. Simple and not inconsistent.

A LOTR MOC is similar in style to historical MOCs, so LOTR as a whole goes into History. Even though LOTR is fiction and not historical at all.

Yet a LR MOC which is similar in style to a generic Old West MOC (which is History), goes into Licensed. So LR fans don't see generic MOCs, and Wild West fans don't see LR MOCs, even though they could be very similar.

That is where I see the inconsistency.

Edited by MAB

A LOTR MOC is similar in style to historical MOCs, so LOTR as a whole goes into History. Even though LOTR is fiction and not historical at all.

Yet a LR MOC which is similar in style to a generic Old West MOC (which is History), goes into Licensed. So LR fans don't see generic MOCs, and Wild West fans don't see LR MOCs, even though they could be very similar.

That is where I see the inconsistency.

That is a fair point, thats why when I did my structure and just got rid of License all together. If you put license sets in other forums then why not put all the ones that would fit in another theme in that theme.

Where will Jurassic World go, it would be good to have it in with dino as there will be a lot of cross over MOCs

It kind of the same with the Lego Movie it didnt really work that well in special all that well.

The tag lines were supposed to be updated. I'll have to bring that up to someone able to do it.

But LOTR is the exception to the rule rather than an example of how the rule works. In any case "History" is meant to describe the architectural style and content rather than differentiate between fact and fiction.

Jurassic World is in Licensed as was the short-lived Jurassic Park theme. If someone wants to make a MOC based on the movies, it goes in Licensed. If someone wants to make a Dino MOC it can go in action.

Jurassic World is in Licensed as was the short-lived Jurassic Park theme. If someone wants to make a MOC based on the movies, it goes in Licensed. If someone wants to make a Dino MOC it can go in action.

But friends has to go in city as that's the only way people can see there MOCs?

When two very similar lines are not in the same forum it is a bit odd, Long Ranger - Western, Disney Princess - Friends, Jurassic World - Dino

So why do fleshies and non-fleshies get split up but minidolls and minifigs don't.

Friends and Disney Princess are not very similar. One is fantasy castle stuff based on source material. The other is real(ish) world type stuff. Is it just the minidolls that make them seem similar to you?

Here's a key difference between Licensed themes and non-Licensed themes: people are primarily drawn to Licensed themes because they like the License. On EB that generally translates into people who want to discuss the License material itself. People are drawn to other categories, like Historic, Town, Space, etc. because that's the stuff they like to build. That's why there are a ton of MOCs in non-Licensed forums, and comparatively few MOCs in Licensed. The Licensed forum is where 'fans of properties' go, with just a few exceptions. Everywhere else is where 'people interested in building certain type of subject matter' go. Please don't take me to be saying that people who like Licensed themes can't or don't MOC, I don't mean that at all. Just in general, Licensed is less focused on building than other forums.