jodawill

Modulex bricks are coming back!

Thanks for the great news! I've never had any of these pieces but I'd love to because of the cubic standard unit - would be very helpful when designing my own buildings.

Modulex A/S was technically a separate company all along, albeit closely tied to TLG since it was started by Godtfred Kirk Christiansen. (Early versions even had the LEGO logo stamped into them before they switched to an M logo.) They have been focused on architectural signage and graphics since the late 70's and merged with ASI Sign Systems in 1993. If they are indeed producing bricks again - and if they're the same size as the original bricks - I don't think they'll be compatible with Nanoblocks. Modulex bricks were based on a 5mm module, but I think Nanoblocks are 4mm.

Edited by Tragic Banjo

I was going to ask- are they nanoblock compatible?

I don't know but I'd be doubtful. One of the things i didn't like about Nanoblock is that the studs are so tall, I doubt they'll redesign Modulex to be compatible.

I have absolutely no idea what they are but Yeah!

I may buy a few just to try them out, they might be alright

I still can't figure out what these are. Are they just smaller version of Legos? What makes them special(other then the connection to TLG)?

Edited by Tech Artist

Modulex A/S was technically a separate company all along, albeit closely tied to TLG since it was started by Godtfred Kirk Christiansen. (Early versions even had the LEGO logo stamped into them before they switched to an M logo.) They have been focused on architectural signage and graphics since the late 70's and merged with ASI Sign Systems in 1993. If they are indeed producing bricks again - and if they're the same size as the original bricks - I don't think they'll be compatible with Nanoblocks. Modulex bricks were based on a 5mm module, but I think Nanoblocks are 4mm.

Oh, that makes sense. These and Samsonite have always been a gray area in my LEGO knowledge. :grin:

I still can't figure out what these are. Are they just smaller version of Legos? What makes them special(other then the connection to TLG)?

They were originally developed because Gottfried Christiansen was unable to make the building he wanted due to the fact that Lego bricks aren't a 1x1 ratio. Modulex bricks are based on the standard of a 2x2 brick being a perfect cube. (I've never understood why Lego bricks weren't made this way to begin with.)

What?

After 45+ years they come back?

Also, it's strange that it isn't on any official LEGO sites yet the company seemingly endorses LEGO...

I wonder what'll happen!

They were originally developed because Gottfried Christiansen was unable to make the building he wanted due to the fact that Lego bricks aren't a 1x1 ratio. Modulex bricks are based on the standard of a 2x2 brick being a perfect cube. (I've never understood why Lego bricks weren't made this way to begin with.)

So they are basically Legos but a slight variation on it that makes them even more block like?

Edit: Also I assume since he was trying to make a building from them that they are going to be more meant for architecture then anything else?

Edited by Tech Artist

What?

After 45+ years they come back?

Also, it's strange that it isn't on any official LEGO sites yet the company seemingly endorses LEGO...

I wonder what'll happen!

Nothing has really happened yet. They haven't even started testing the molds yet. I think they're refurbishing them right now. I doubt TLG will ever mention this project, but if they do, I'm sure it won't be until an official product is announced.

So they are basically Legos but a slight variation on it that makes them even more block like?

Edit: Also I assume since he was trying to make a building from them that they are going to be more meant for architecture then anything else?

Yeah, they were actually marketed to architects.

They were marketed to architects; with all the advances in computer graphics and prefabricated (and/or easy to use) modelling parts for architects, I doubt these will be targeted at them; instead, modulex really caught on in a segment of LEGO enthusiasts; you can go to bricklink right now and find modulex. A lot of LEGO models (I've even seen some modular buildings) were remade by fans in modulex (although not completely accurate, as there is not the variety of pieces).

I imagine this new production will actually try to reach as many people as possible. I'm game if the price is right. Like jodawill points out, it's baffling the bricks weren't originally build this way... but I just don't think they foresaw the popularity it would have, or that it would last so long, and it all needed to be compatible. In some ways the current brick ratios are just genius... in some ways, not so much.

Update!

Hi Tracy. Thank you for your reply and link to BrickLink. We can understand that there are some concerns about Modulex Bricks being relaunched. Especially concerning colours and marking. We would like to make it clear that Modulex Bricks A/S does not have any intentions to "compete" with the original Modulex setup, which is so highly valued by all Modulex enthusiasts. Having said that, we cannot tell what colours are being launched. This have not been decided yet... But in relation to use the same colours, it is hard for us to avoid White, Black and Transparent In general, we are relaunching the Modulex Brick because it became possible to acquire the original moulds and it would be a shame not to take this opportunity to reproduce such an excellent Brick. We truly appreciate your input to Modulex Bricks A/S. It is your and other Modulex enthusiasts input that will have an influence on the new Modulex Bricks setup. Thank you.
Hi Josh Williams. Modulex Bricks are coming back simply because The Mx Brick are genius and it would be a shame to put this excellent product in the grave for good. We cannot tell you at this time what parts will be available. Modulex Bricks A/S is very interested in the opinion of all Modulex Brick enthusiasts: What would be interesting to relaunch, which colours would be the best etc. We have now registered that you would like to see Modulex Minifigs and Themes.

So does that mean they will be difficult to find?

This is just speculation, but I don't think they'll be available anywhere except online or maybe a very small handful of stores.

^Nice picture.

I've seen these before. A member of my LUG likes them and bought a whole bunch on bricklink.

I have no intention of buying any, but it is neat seeing smaller built things.

I guess originally they were packaged with an exact-o knife to cut to fit. It helped the designers make their project easier. I think they had 5 long bricks too. Sometimes I wish LEGO had that.

I've seen these before. A member of my LUG likes them and bought a whole bunch on bricklink.

Yeah, there was a stand where they sold jars of Modulex at Brickfair VA.

But it wasn't cheap; $25 for a small jar, I believe.

I did see Modulex MOC-a Batman-but other than that, nothing.

Not sure how well they'll sell...

I'd buy them just for the 1:1 dimensions but they wouldn't replace my LEGO. :)

Edited by m0dulo

Oh this is exciting! I'd really like to get some of the originals but they're a little expensive for what they are, I will definitely be getting a few of the new ones if this is true!