tafkatb

LEGO Architecture 2015 News & Discussion

You know it's just going to be either a microfig or a couple 1x1s to 'represent' the statue. Hoping for anything more will just lead to disappointment.

ETA:

Yupper. The 1:1 piece represented on the box edge is a microfig in white.

Edited by rollermonkey

While I'm happy to get any new architecture set, I showed the Lincoln Memorial pictures to a friend. Interesting, she found it rather odd that TLG would take a memorial that means so much to Americans (especially from a human rights standpoint) and minimalize it to the extent that they did.

Honestly yes, she is spot on...seems weird that you would not make the Lincoln close to the same size as the White House, it is so small, it is almost a why bother, then you go and make an office building twice the size, makes no sense at all.

I hope that whomever is in charge of the line at TLG starts to get more of a world view and do landmarks that are across the board, then get back to finishing off the FLW buildings, Taliesin, etc.

So, is this entire series on life support? I went to the Lego architecture website and it doesn't hold much promise for the future. Doesn't seem like it would be hard to find five or six interesting buildings a year.

So, is this entire series on life support? I went to the Lego architecture website and it doesn't hold much promise for the future. Doesn't seem like it would be hard to find five or six interesting buildings a year.

Website has always been like that. Very bare minimum. I'm surprised they revealed the Lincoln memorial early. (Showing picture without the sheet on top). After this is flatiron. I would imagine another set is coming in the 2nd half of the year. Just hasn't leaked yet.

Anyone know when Flatiron will be in stores? Any rumors at all for any other sets in 2015?

Debricketura (french LEGO architecture blog) said Flatiron was featured in Jan to June 2015 cataloge. So, June at the latest?

https://debrickectura.wordpress.com/

If it is in the 1st half of the year

Gives me hope we will see at least one more set come out either September 1st or October 1st

And get a leak around May/June.

Pretty much how UN building played out.

Lego architecture Facebook page is doing a contest. Read the terms and conditions. First prize is

"First place: One of each LEGO Architecture 2015 model shipped directly to the winner’s house immediately after launch (Total value of $129.97 / EUR 129,97). "

https://business.facebook.com/LEGO/app_588696104586297?business_id=671541529583421&ref=page_internal

Now since it's value is 129.97. With math we know there are 3 sets coming out with the .97 cents part ( each set is ##.99 with three makes it .97)

Also confirms a large set is not coming out

Lincoln memorial is $29.99

Leaving 99.98 left between the flatiron building and the unknown set

Flatiron is 471 pieces so around $50 each set sounds reasonable.

On European sites 21024 does show up €54.99 ( http://www.deksto.nl/xxxxxxxx-lego-21024 )

So that price sounds accurate.

So there you go one more ~ $50 set is coming by the end of 2015 and that's it for the year.

Edited by Steve309

Thanks for the update. Probably only three. Huh. I guess sitting around the TLG corporate office thinking up those cookie prohibition story lines takes up all of the designers time and resources.

Edited by Off the wall

holy moly, that totally sucks...what's the point of continuing this line if they aren't going to devote time and resources to it...The LM was small and while I like it, I expected better. I will get Flatiron but not excited about it. And a last set at the same price as Flatiron doesn't instill a huge yippee from me...although I will through out that maybe it is 2 small $24.99 sets? I know that doesn't add up, but one could do math to break it down, just didn't want to.

Really doesn't matter, just disappointed once again in TLG's lack of attention to an AFOL line, they are too busy building Frozen sets I guess.

I'm disappointed with Architecture this year too. Underwhelmed by the two we've seen so far and no disrespect to the USA but I wish TLG would be more evenhanded with their location selections.

I hope this is just a glitch year, would be terribly sad not to get another large one.

$50ish sounds like a good price for, oh I don't know, the Eames House? Okay, that's probably wishful thinking. Still, three this year is better than the two we got last year.

I'm disappointed with Architecture this year too. Underwhelmed by the two we've seen so far and no disrespect to the USA but I wish TLG would be more evenhanded with their location selections.

I hope this is just a glitch year, would be terribly sad not to get another large one.

Not to worry. Many of us Americans would also like to see a more balanced selection process. :-)

Who got two last year?

UN Building, Eiffel Tower, Marina Bay Sands and Architecture Studio were all 2014 releases in most applicable regions.

Also: Did anyone notice that first prize had a value of $129.97, but second place has a value of $159.99?

When has second place ever gotten a more valuable prize than the winner?

Edited by rollermonkey

Who got two last year?

UN Building, Eiffel Tower, Marina Bay Sands and Architecture Studio were all 2014 releases in most applicable regions.

Also: Did anyone notice that first prize had a value of $129.97, but second place has a value of $159.99?

You may be alittle off with dates

-Imperial hotel March 1 2013

-Leaning tower of Pisa June 1 2013

-UN building was October 1 2013

-Marina Bay Sands was Dec 1 2013 (in limited area) (lego always says 2014. But was on store shelves in December and Lego Korean site)

-Eiffel Tower was Jan 1 2014

-Trevi fountain was June 1 2014 ( Aug 1 North America)

And yea. I would rather win 2nd prize. Especially since not available in Canada (where I live)

And if a fan of architecture line. You'd already have Lincoln memorial

Edited by Steve309

@Tragic Bango,

I would love to see Eames House as an official set too, but I really don't think it will work very well in a reasonably-sized LEGO model. The only two LEGO Eames House models I've found online feel flawed to me, and I have also done some explorations of my own...

Eames+020.JPG

Eames House Photo.

1241919406m_SPLASH.jpg

LEGO Eames House by Stacy Sterling.

Stacy's detailing is very nice, but the proportions are really off, resulting in a near-square home when the real thing is nearly a 3x1 ratio.

1336763423m_SPLASH.jpg

LEGO Eames House by Rebecca Cnare.

Rebecca's model has much more realistic proportions, but the detailing of 9 thin black support columns separating the 7 panels of home (and one panel of patio) is impractical at this scale. As such, she include only 6 of the vertical columns and it was still impractical to include the "X" tension cross support on the middle of the first floor.

By my math, The minimum dimensions for the main building to include enough details to be architecturally satisfying is probably around (4x8) + 9 = 41 studs long and 16 studs deep (excluding the Studio which is featured in Rebecca's model). If we want to preserve the proportions vertically, that would be about 9 bricks tall. That's a big model!

Edited by henrysunset

Big, perhaps, but as blocky as Eames is, it wouldn't require very many non-standard pieces, if any. If I saw that a set was nothing but brick and plate stacking, I'd be pretty upset. I know Eames was rumored to have been a serious candidate for a set about two years ago, but I really, really hope they do something more interesting.

I posted my first draft of my take on Eames house at instagram:

10949065_754374261312864_545629062_n.jpg

What do you think? Any ideas how to make the cross-supports look better? (It would be easy using technics parts if I built it at a larger scale.)

I've been working on some modular building MOCs. I just got around to building the Lincoln Memorial. Really? Seriously? I knew it was small, but it's almost the size that you could put it on a key chain.

That's a fair observation.

Mine is back in the box and away in the closet already. Didn't even have to take the roof off or remove it from the baseplate to fit it.

Edited by rollermonkey