He is, but as he moves the steering, you can clearly see that there is a 20z bevel gear in the mechanism moving as well. Also, at other points in the video, you can see that the beacon lights on the cab are geared to something, so I assume that's how it works.

I am guessing that it could be either of the beakon lights, or both. When the video shows the wheels turning, I noticed that the second axle from the front was turning before the front one and possibly sharper, which shouldn't be the case. But this seems to be down to the fact that he is turning the left wheel on the second axle by hand and also the slight play in the linkage. No doubt it will work as designed when turned through HOG. Didn't notice his hand behind all that Lego until now! :laugh:

The steering mechanism looks great. Isn't it a similar way to this that trucks with 2 steering axles work?

I can't wait to see a video showing the pneumatics themselves working more. It only shows a tiny bit of them working. Also how high it will tip! :classic:

I am guessing that it could be either of the beakon lights, or both. When the video shows the wheels turning, I noticed that the second axle from the front was turning before the front one and possibly sharper, which shouldn't be the case. But this seems to be down to the fact that he is turning the left wheel on the second axle by hand and also the slight play in the linkage. No doubt it will work as designed when turned through HOG. Didn't notice his hand behind all that Lego until now! :laugh:

The steering mechanism looks great. Isn't it a similar way to this that trucks with 2 steering axles work?

I can't wait to see a video showing the pneumatics themselves working more. It only shows a tiny bit of them working. Also how high it will tip! :classic:

"Working" lights will be great function, but i think this is only Hog as in old sets.

Now I think, that worst set from 2015 is 24 race car, zero interesting functions and rather ugly,

Edited by Ondra

Yep, HOG via the beakon lights. They managed to fit in so many functions into 42043, well done TLG! :classic:

Try get some sleep tonight MOC designers / builders, AFOL and Technic fans alike - tomorrow is going to show even more exciting pics and videos! :laugh:

The 42043 is not a bad looking set but I can't stand pneumatics. The hoses always pop off and displaying is a pain because the air leaks out. I can appreciate the more realistic approach compared to linear actuators but if Lego wanted to really do something amazing, why not create a closed hydraulic system? It could be similar to an all-in-one CPU cooler where everything is sealed so no mess.

On one side I have these incredible pneumatics for more machinery and on the other I would need something to control them better... good news for me anyway. It is a nice truck but I just need the new pieces, it his a nice crane but blue...

I am impressed with all three. The crane looks great. The pneumatics are awesome as is the new boom piece. And the plane looks fun. It also looks like there is suspension on the rear axles of the truck.

It is going to be an expensive year with the crawler crane and Actros. Is that a new bucket scooper on the end of the Actros crane arm?

Anyone saw the sticker on the Crawler crane? It says "MT Lifting Service", which can only mean two things...

1. Reminds you of leg day, and

2. It's a nod to Model Team.

The 42043 is not a bad looking set but I can't stand pneumatics. The hoses always pop off and displaying is a pain because the air leaks out. I can appreciate the more realistic approach compared to linear actuators but if Lego wanted to really do something amazing, why not create a closed hydraulic system? It could be similar to an all-in-one CPU cooler where everything is sealed so no mess.

How would you route the hoses? also, a system like that would make for limited expansion. A better solution is to have the pneumatic hoses have an end that screws on, or else something that can clip the hose on well, and better seals.

Also, there is a picture out there that shows that, indeed, the Arocs has sprung rear suspension.

Fire Plane?

HFP6Jez.png

I think the Fire Plane has may be using these in white... Can anyone tell..?

18945.jpg?1

I think so. I was wondering which part was making the angles on the wings, and that piece would explain that perfectly

Couldn't it be possible that the front axle is linked a dummy engine instead of the motor? Wouldn't that make more sense too?

Perhaps it is a pull-back.

(: just kidding :)

Feel I should thank promobricks for recording and uploading the video. He's the man!

It has the dual rear wheels, suspention on the front axles at least with live axles, realistic steering linkage, 1 wide base on the two wide cylinders very much like this:

pneumatic_long.jpg

1 wide cylinder with metal rod as well!

If this is accurate, I'm really happy to see there are two connection points at the base (a pinhole and an axel hole), which would make this part even more amazing: now the length of the cylinder can be extended with liftarms (although it won't be really pretty), which is useful when you do not need to design the mechanism around the length of the pneumatic parts.

Edit: Oh! And you can trivially put two of these back to back, getting a really really long cylinder! :laugh:

The truck seems really good, but I'll probably get only the new pieces separately, as I already have the Unimog (which is "kinda" same to me). Instead I'll be getting the crane.

Edited by arik

If this is accurate, I'm really happy to see there are two connection points at the base (a pinhole and an axel hole), which would make this part even more amazing: now the length of the cylinder can be extended with liftarms (although it won't be really pretty), which is useful when you do not need to design the mechanism around the length of the pneumatic parts.

Edit: Oh! And you can trivially put two of these back to back, getting a really really long cylinder! :laugh:

The truck seems really good, but I'll probably get only the new pieces separately, as I already have the Unimog (which is "kinda" same to me). Instead I'll be getting the crane.

Unfortunately it is not...

Look at 2:18 in the movie and you get a good shot of the side of the new cilinder. It has only a single pinhole at the end.

Yeah, that was Alan's prediction from before, but he was pretty close anyway! Also, top pin of the cylinder is yellow, instead of old black.

Can someone ban this guy :)

Finally they took the step to make new longer pneumatic cylinders ;) gotta love this set, and the crane too. BTW any chances that the plane will be RC (or pullback propeller) and capable of flying on its own? i highly doubt it but that would be an epic milestone.

Unfortunately it is not...

Look at 2:18 in the movie and you get a good shot of the side of the new cilinder. It has only a single pinhole at the end.

You're right. :sceptic: I wish it was an axel hole instead of pinhole at least. Anyway it's nice that it's only 1M wide, makes building much easier. Maybe there's still chance of somehow clamp the attachment point so it doesn't rotate around the pinhole...

Look at how the tracks are moving on the crawler crane. It looks like it is motorised via a gearbox selector etc. It doesn't seem like he is pushing it to move. Watch the sprocket at the back take up the slack in the top of the track as it goes backwards. It definitely looks motorised all right and not driving a fake engine, whether the tracks split left and right or not, I'm not sure!

It looks like the rotation of the crane is motorised too. It looks like he is moving a lever back and forth to do so, doesn't it?

It seems like your right! hard to tell about the structure rotation, but atleast it looks like it has the tracks motorized ;)

Now that we are finally going to get new and longer pneumatic cylinders, how do you guys estimate the chances that we get a new, more stable and rigid turntable? Not this year of course, but in the next one or two years probably?

Edited by Balrog

Now that we are finally going to get new and longer pneumatic cylinders, how do you guys estimate the chances that we get a new, more stable and rigid turntable? Not this year of course, but in the next one or two years probably?

hopefully we get a bigger, turntable next year

correct me if i am wrong, but aint there a 3rd party 3D printed turntable that has been made to fit Lego?