If I recall correctly, the preliminary image of the 42039 had new 3x7 panels in the nose. Could it be that for whatever reason those new panels were canceled and they had to redesign the nose as a result? Alternatively, there might have been some problems with the prototype being too resemblant to an existing machine (Audi R18 e-tron I read somewhere), without the proper license with the OEM.

Anyway, nothing a little MOD-ing can't solve. I'm a bit more concerned with the proportions of the 42039 in the sideview. The wheels look to small and too far apart somehow. I think it's the relatively big clearances needed for the suspension and the steering. In the real machines the wheels fill the wheelwells very tightly.

The preliminary of 42039 looked very promising. But now, I don't know...

It definitely has a lot of panels.

42038 looks cool, and would be a nice parts pack.

42036 looks alright aswell, i don't have any of the technic motorbikes, but this one looks Ok to me.

I'm normally only interested in new parts instead of sets and therefore was very content with the prelim fenders coming in two colours on this set: green in the front and grey for the back two wheels.

Now, they seem to have trashed that idea... Hoping for fenders in other colours in the not-yet-released (Technic-) sets.

But thumbs up for using so many different colours this year: it will be a lot easier to build green construction equipment now, the light blue, lime and orange is great too.

Edited by PhyBuilder

I keep looking at that 42039 and still I just can' believe it. The hood is way to pointy, round lights would fit some jeep way better and those flat mudguards...they could habe just use the beams!!! Good thing is, that is still o good parts/color pack.

Are those black treads on the 42038?

Edited by MajklSpajkl

I agree with all the sentiment about 42039 having become ugly as heck. The wheels are tiny, I think the model is just too large. Also the monocoque looks like a box and not streamlined at all. The windscreen should have been white, in my opinion. The headlight sections are too tall, probably to accommodate for the new fenders. The old fanders were way better for this model. (But I presume the new fenders are more versatile parts). Also I liked the white longitudinal "fin" that ran from the rear of the monocoque to the rear spoiler. They seem to have ditched that.

Oh well. At least it's a great parts pack :)

I might be in the minority but I don't think 42039 looks that bad. My biggest concern with it though is functionality; from these images it's not easy to see but it doesn't even appear to have a fake engine, though there looks to be a diff on the rear axle. If all it has is suspension and steering I'll pass, there are loads of Technic sets much cheaper that do the same thing.

I quite like the Arctic Tracker though. I'm torn on the crane, as it's visually better than the prelim but still looks like it's too small for the model. And it's difficult to tell, but it looks like it could have steering and black treads, unless my eyes deceive me.

EB member Cwetqo told me, that previous mudgard design for the 42039 was discarded because it was to fragile and could easily brake - i still don't see the point to change half of the design...

I might be in the minority but I don't think 42039 looks that bad. My biggest concern with it though is functionality; from these images it's not easy to see but it doesn't even appear to have a fake engine, though there looks to be a diff on the rear axle.

It has a V8, look at the stickers on the side, and you can see the engine right behind the red drivers seat. The yellow part is a piston.

The headlights one the prelim were so much cooler looking than the ones in the new picture.

Edited by captainmib

42038 ROCKS! Cannot wait to get it. :wub: The Tracked Loader's another entry on my wish list, and I might get the Mining Truck. :wink:

The rest ain't my bag at all. I do think the lime hubs on 42037 look intriguing, though. :wacko:

As a motorbike rider and fan of most Technic bikes, I must say that I'm disappointed in the 42036.

- It presents no new technical challenges like an interesting way of propulsion (through a drive shaft for example), exciting swing-arm configuration, new engine layout (would love a boxer) nor gearbox.

- The aesthetics are not very satisfying as well: The body shape is not very pleasing and looks unfinished, the windscreen is too bulky, the stickers for the saddle look poor and the rear tire is too skinny for this type of bike. It almost looks like a B-model.

- I really miss attention to details which would be possible in this scale: No license plate at the rear, no fuel filler cap, no realistic dials, no brake and clutch handles, no radiator, it doesn't even have foot pegs.

- I appreciate the light blue panels, but as a whole the color scheme doesn't work for me. I would have loved a Martini color scheme with orange, white and light blue, but I guess this is copy-righted.

This could and should have been done much better, I'll MOD it for sure, but with all the modifications, It will probable be more like a MOC.

Edit: I'm curious in the B-model of this set, could be better than the A-model in this case.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

What do you think about mudguards?

May be they are soft and flexibile as soft axles?

I would not be surprised if 2 designers worked on 42039...

I can not imagine the designer who did the prelim 42039 designing this very poor final rendition...

All other sets seems to be very promising.

The thickness and/or profile doesn't allow bending, look at the sides. The idea would be great though... Then the only reason I wanted those guards is that we finally could made round wheel arches without too much effort and parts. These new parts though look too straight.

Unfortunately none of them fit my tastes, probably the only one I'll buy it's the 42038

The Lemans car it's not a lemans car...it's simply messy.....

Anyone knows if there are other sets coming in the second semester of the year?

All models with exception for the lemans car looks very good! have to agree here, that the preliminary version did look better! the arctic vehicle on the other hand... well, it looks more like my profile picture :wacko:

I am not sure about 42039 anymore. I liked the preliminary version somewhat better. Now doubt, this still makes a good parts pack, but the design is not as sleek anymore.

Also, could it be that 42037 has new wishbone parts?

I agree that the headlight was much better in the preliminary pictures, but otherwise I like the new front design more.

Do I spy 19L white soft axles in the hood of the 42039? (edit: or never released before 16L?)

I like this version of the 42039 too tbh, though I did like the fin in the middle behind the cockpit going to the rear spoiler of the first version.

Edited by Appie

Do I spy 19L white soft axles in the hood of the 42039? (edit: or never released before 16L?)

Seems more like 16L to me, but nicely spotted.

I actually really like the new headlights on the 42039, they look quite a lot like the Toyota TS040. I am rather unsure about the new rear end though, it just looks strange and out of proportion and doesn't fit with the modern LMP1 front end design. I'm on the fence about buying this model now... Maybe a modification could be made to the rear?

I'll wait with judging 42039 till I see the final model before me, but the preliminary model did look better at first glance. Still getting it for the parts though.

It has a V8, look at the stickers on the side, and you can see the engine right behind the red drivers seat. The yellow part is a piston.

So there is, seems I missed that :blush:

Still doesn't look like there will be room for a gearbox in there though...

Also, 42035 is starting to grow on me, I do like its chunky sort of look.

EB member Cwetqo told me, that previous mudgard design for the 42039 was discarded because it was to fragile and could easily brake - i still don't see the point to change half of the design...

That is what I thought as well, which makes sense...