CM4Sci

2015 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Oh, wow they are almost the size of truck wheels for city trucks in a way........and yeah I guess 21" rims on thin rubber are what Lego are trying to go for.

Thanks. it confirms that no, the wheels on the McLaren wont fit the normal City mudguards.

Thanks. it confirms that no, the wheels on the McLaren wont fit the normal City mudguards.

Maybe the newer lower profile mudguards lifted up by a plate thickness ? :look:

Maybe the newer lower profile mudguards lifted up by a plate thickness ? :look:

I can confirm that they do indeed fit perfectly underneath the newer mudguards - even without being lifted.

Picked up the McLaren today, its not a bad set, only wish it was either yellow or orange rather than that "its almost yellow but its not" orange they used. (or is there an actual real world color for the McLaren P1 that matches what LEGO used?)

Picked up the McLaren today, its not a bad set, only wish it was either yellow or orange rather than that "its almost yellow but its not" orange they used. (or is there an actual real world color for the McLaren P1 that matches what LEGO used?)

I too brought this set today......only could buy it BigW not Myers (dam, missed out on 20% off), I have built it and I quite like the colour. I have three SC super cars now and next the TG trio customs......NM need some funny characters in it.

Though now I will add the stickers were a pain on the three sets I did buy in the last two days.......but worth doing still, it adds realism to the cars.

The orangy-yellow used approximates a typical McLaren color. I think it's spot on for this car.

The set itself - well, not so spot on for me, I'm afraid. Had it in my hands again, yesterday, and put it down again as I have done quite a few times now. The proportions just aren't right at the front and the back looks like a rushed job. Tried to figure out wether I could modify it, but there that unique color kind of spoils it. I have no bricks in my inventory to fill up gaps that might have to be filled up without looking out of place due to a difference in color.

So I think of the current sets the ones I have now (porsche, laferrari) will remain the only ones. I kind of like the large ferrari set, but it's way more expensive than what I would want to pay for it (partly because the truck would need some modding (lights!) and won't fit in my city). The twin Porsche set is also nice, but again more expensive than I would like it to be.

lead5-2015-mclaren-p1-fd.jpg

I launched a contest on MOCpages, "Speed Champions Building Contest". The goal is to create a LEGO vehicle with similar features to SC cars. Feel free to participate, but Shadows says I shouldn't be posting a link here. Deadline is on May 16th.

Edited by Shadows
Please don't use EB as your personal billboard for offsite contests that we are not involved in.

I launched a contest on MOCpages, "Speed Champions Building Contest". The goal is to create a LEGO vehicle with similar features to SC cars. Feel free to participate, but Shadows says I shouldn't be posting a link here. Deadline is on May 16th.

just entered my first build to your contest the Pagani Huayra! (posted in my Garage thread, more pictures there, and Flickr)

16885528936_eaeb8f0d00_n.jpg

Well, Jezza is fired. Top Gear UK is over.

Move along. Nothing to see here. Let's get back to regular programming. Anyone who did a wing delete on the 911's?

Edited by XAxles

Move along. Nothing to see here. Let's get back to regular programming. Anyone who did a wing delete on the 911's?

I heard Netflix is trying to bring him and the team on. That would be a huge pickup for them.

Took advantage of thr double points this month and got the 911, LaFerrari and GT. Being s huge car guy and a stickler for accuracy I was pretty skeptical about these at first but these are great, especially the 911. Already ordered some parts to build a red 911 in similar fashion but minus the wing. Debating if I want to see if I can go a little retro to a 1987 look with that deck wing hanging off the rear. I will probably post some pictures once it's done.

I heard Netflix is trying to bring him and the team on. That would be a huge pickup for them.

Took advantage of thr double points this month and got the 911, LaFerrari and GT. Being s huge car guy and a stickler for accuracy I was pretty skeptical about these at first but these are great, especially the 911. Already ordered some parts to build a red 911 in similar fashion but minus the wing. Debating if I want to see if I can go a little retro to a 1987 look with that deck wing hanging off the rear. I will probably post some pictures once it's done.

that sounds fantastic, you will definitely have to post up pictures when your done.

2015_main_street_487.jpg

My tribute to TG.......maybe there was a plan hence the idea of Lego Top Gear became Speed Champions instead ?

Does anyone know what scale (roughly speaking of course) the Speed Champion cars are (1/34, etc.)? Seems like decals made for slot cars could be useful if you wanted to run different racing livery on the Porsches.

Does anyone know what scale (roughly speaking of course) the Speed Champion cars are (1/34, etc.)? Seems like decals made for slot cars could be useful if you wanted to run different racing livery on the Porsches.

1:32 methinks.

2015_main_street_487.jpg

My tribute to TG.......maybe there was a plan hence the idea of Lego Top Gear became Speed Champions instead ?

May can use more gray, shaggy hair. Other than that... wow. But hey, BBC hasn't ruled out the fact that they'd re-hire Clarkson, but I'm betting he'd be on a short leash. Edited by XAxles

Ah, but Lego don't have the right hair.....or at least what I can source in Adelaide.

Off-topic.....the BBC might have second thoughts ?

Imagine that this lego theme was really Top gear...Probably wasted at starting line...

I think they probably stop thinking about top gear badge, thanks to Clarkson behaviour before.That will not be great for kids theme for sure.

Not sure if that is a good reason.......Homer always tries to choke Bart.....right ?

Anyway, TG talk is off-topic here.

Now I have a worry about the wheels on these SC cars......due to the weight of the car it causes too much friction on the tech pins to rotate hence it does it go very far and slows down too quick.

I wonder if some lube or grease might help ?

Not sure if that is a good reason.......Homer always tries to choke Bart.....right ?

Anyway, TG talk is off-topic here.

Now I have a worry about the wheels on these SC cars......due to the weight of the car it causes too much friction on the tech pins to rotate hence it does it go very far and slows down too quick.

I wonder if some lube or grease might help ?

my solution (when I can use it) is to go with a technic rod, takes the flex out and adds more clearance through the hole. rolling distances are much better, but again this only works in certain builds I don't think any of the standard cars can make use of this change easily.

Cartoon violence?Also Simpsons are mainly for Afols with this direction with only D2C sets.

Cartoon violence?Also Simpsons are mainly for Afols with this direction with only D2C sets.

Mmm, I disagree......the Simpsons is shown at times of the day on TV that children flock to it for the past 25 years.

Anyway, off-topic, on-topic......a tech axle eh ?

True, mechanically more stable, but requires a redesign of the base of the car doesn't it ?

a tech axle eh ?

True, mechanically more stable, but requires a redesign of the base of the car doesn't it ?

yes, i tossed out the standard chassis they use and the pieces used to mount the wheels (2x4 brick/plate) and rebuilt the underside to clear the axle. the only real issue is that it raises the driver 1 plate, which fortunately Lego already raised the drivers a plate so you can just remove the extra plate to get him back under the canopy/windscreen.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND there's still no polybags.

Here's an idea LEGO.....polybags of pit crew with tools, etc., or rescue/medical personal, etc.,......just thinking out loud ? :wink: