CM4Sci

2015 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

75900 - 75904 are Scooby Doo sets and I expect that 75905 - 75907 are reserved for more sets in this theme. Someone floated the theory that the LaFerrari was a last-minute addition to the line and therefore got the 75899 set number, because 75915 - 75920 are used for the Jurassic World sets.

Thanks for the info...

I bought the McLaren P1 a week ago (waiting for double VIP in order to pick up the rest of the theme), and despite my fears that the car would look too skinny (from Brickset's review, and no I don't know why Huw decided to not apply the headlight stickers either, because the car looks really stupid without them), it has turned out to be one of my favourite sets so far this year. But... did anyone else have trouble aligning the headlight stickers? I just couldn't get it right and it's very difficut to line them up despite trying for quite some time taking care to do so. Even now I'm not sure whether I got it right :look:

I had some issues lining up the stickers but most were okay. You have to do a bit of mental image and try figure out where to place the sticker. The only annoying set was the Italia GT2 since it had just too many stickers compared to the other cars. The real stickers I hate are the transparent ones from the Marvel sets. They are a huge trap for fingerprint and air pockets. So annoying!

I've got the LaFerrari and the Porsche. I've left out most of the stickers and think the cars still hold up. I've replaced the grey cheesewedges of the Porsche with clear ones, so I didn't have to use the stickers to create the headlights, since I didn't like the stickers for that at all. With the LaFerrari that was not really an option, but the stickers work better there.

The rest of the series either doesn't really appeal to me (the McLaren kind of looks wrong, the other Ferrari uses way too many stickers) or is a bit too expensive for my liking...

I got the Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 yesterday, lovely car but the stickers were quite tricky. Probably not the one to get first! This line has come at a very good time for me as I have been playing Forza Motorsport 5 and Forza Horizon 2 a lot. Will definitely be getting the Finish Line set which is why I picked up the 458. Not sure which of the other 3 cars I want next.

I had some issues lining up the stickers but most were okay. You have to do a bit of mental image and try figure out where to place the sticker. The only annoying set was the Italia GT2 since it had just too many stickers compared to the other cars. The real stickers I hate are the transparent ones from the Marvel sets. They are a huge trap for fingerprint and air pockets. So annoying!

Yeah, it was just the McLaren's headlights I had real problems with, the rest were pretty easy. Though I must admit - definitely not looking forward to having to apply all those stickers to the 458 Italia GT2 when I get it! And agreed on the transparent stickers, I'm so glad we didn't get those for the canopies even though I use tweezers to apply those most of the time.

Though having said that, I just wish TLG had tried a little harder to try and brick build the headlights, because I think they would have added more realism and depth to the builds. Case in point, the Racers Lamborghinis, one came with stickered headlights and the other came with brick-built headlights, and I think the latter looks better for it's brick-built headlights. Though with these more minifig-scale offerings, that would have probably been near-impossible so stickers were probably the only option. Though I will say I have managed to build minifig-scale cars a similar size to these with brick-built headlights (like my McLaren F1 GTR), so it's not entirely impossible (and as someone has pointed out, quite easy to implement on the Porsche 918 even if not 100% accurate).

So, I finally got my hands on the P1, and the LaFerrari, and I both love and hate them both. for Lego sets the both do a great job (once stickered) of representing the cars they are modeled after. the P1 I agree is less impressive than the LaFerrari (and I am a huge fan of the P1) the color of the McLaren is wonderful though, and I need to get quite a bit more of that color for a custom P1 attempt later on. but the down side is hard to ignore, and that is how tall and long these are as 6wide cars. I feel this comes down to the massively oversized wheels added to these cars. they are comparable to 40 inch rims on a real car (relative to a minifigure's height if assumed to be 6 foot tall) the real cars are all between 44, and 46 inches in height but in Lego's version they are much closer to 72inch (full minifig height) my GT40 MKI is a full brick shorter (and still a bit too tall) but its profile is nearly spot on for its scale. I'll post up a picture to better drive this point home later on. so over all for a "Lego-ized" model in city scale I feel they are just too big, while still being accurate enough and enjoyable. i'll probably complete the road car sets but wont spring for the F1 cars (at least not yet)

Finished up the Porsche GT Finish Line set, the 2nd most expensive set. Debating if I should get the LaFerrari Truck. Seems like 2x the price for not that much more.

I really like this set since it has everything you need for a race - 2 cars, finish/start line, podium, and minigarage. Only thing I hated was how identical the two cars were but I guess that is what rest of the speed champion sets are for.

Review: http://brickpreviews.com/lego-speed-champions-75912-porsche-911-gt-finish-line-review/

16562182127_8667c820d1_z.jpg

16581881998_427ea15f7d_z.jpg

16583300709_a670caa075_z.jpg

16769447445_f5bca1c95b_z.jpg

I personally think, for the most part, the renditions are fairly accurate. I've building car MOCs too at 6-wide scale lately and like I said there, you still just can't have a perfectly accurately scaled model at 6-wide; it's still to small, but you can get it close. I see/read about a lot of suggestions that the cars look too narrow... I think it's the oversized tire/wheels that are doing it. With those tires, one is tempted to transition it to 8-wide. Making 8-wide will make it look stubby, so you have to lengthen it by 2 studs. At that point, the minifig looks more scaled like a toddler than it already does. And at 8-wide, details are still left out, so a 10-wide would look better, going past the CREATOR car scale. And so on and so forth...

I would just be happy that the Speed Champions are here with some new pieces and an inspiration to build cars that are faster/cooler than them !

My favorite look is/are the 911s but unfortunately I have to get the bigger set instead of only splurging $15...

Does anyone here know anything about 10248 (Ferrari F40)? Is it a Speed Champions set? Regardless of the theme, it's awesome to see that Lego is bringing back large sports car models - for the past almost 10 years, we've seen very few 500+ piece cars.

Does anyone here know anything about 10248 (Ferrari F40)? Is it a Speed Champions set? Regardless of the theme, it's awesome to see that Lego is bringing back large sports car models - for the past almost 10 years, we've seen very few 500+ piece cars.

thread for the F40 set is Here, though some info does bleed into this thread as well, you know car fans and all that

So am I right in thinking that Lego is thanking all that is holy that they released this as an in house "Speed Champions" line, rather than the rumored and expected "Top Gear" license, today?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-suspended-recap-after-5306822

Host suspended for racism, tail end of season cancelled, BBC chaos rains.

It was never a good brand fit anyway. "But it's popular worldwide and makes millions" is not a good enough reason, when the figurehead of the show is constantly getting himself in trouble for things that you would NOT want anyone (never mind just children) to copy. I'm surprised it's taken this long for the BBC to get some backbone.

So am I right in thinking that Lego is thanking all that is holy that they released this as an in house "Speed Champions" line, rather than the rumored and expected "Top Gear" license, today?

http://www.mirror.co...p-after-5306822

Host suspended for racism, tail end of season cancelled, BBC chaos rains.

It wasn't for racism. It was for allegedly punching a producer over late catering. And I find this a bit fishy, especially after the announcement in Ep 7 that they're gonna test three of the four cars repp'ed as $15 sets in the Speed Champs line. Some guy at Oppositelock think the thing's just a set-up--the most plausible "conspiracy theory" circulating this news--just so Top Gear can buy enough time to film the episode, especially because they're not gonna do the test in Dunsfold (because McLaren tests their road cars there and Porsche and Ferrari wouldn't want that even if McLaren knows that the 918 can outperform the P1 and LaF at Hammerhead) but some other track else that's obscure and where neither make has tested on or know intimately. But then again, I threw my tin-foil hat away.

I can believe Clarkson punched a producer, but I can't believe he'd do it in order to delay a segment about some toy cars. It's probably all going to blow over and they'll get together with a new programme on ITV or something.

I can believe Clarkson punched a producer, but I can't believe he'd do it in order to delay a segment about some toy cars. It's probably all going to blow over and they'll get together with a new programme on ITV or something.

They aren't gonna review the toy cars. They're gonna review the actual cars together in a Telly episode. Argh. Here's the link to that guy with the theory.

Yesterday I bought the Mclaren Mercedes pit stop set. Overall I'd say I think it's a rather average set, the car has a fairly good shape, though to me it could do to be a stud or two longer at the back as it seems far too stumpy looking when viewed side on. What I really don't like is the chrome stickers though, I understand what they're trying to achieve with them I just think there's a massive contrast with the actual colour of the bricks it's applied to. It almost detracts from the cars sleekness and gives it a disjointed look. I wish they had either kept the stickers the same light bley colour as the bricks or made chrome bricks (wishful thinking).

The pit area itself is rather nice, I like the inclusion of a workshop area complete with spare front wing. I also think the computer screens and worktop cabinet are really effective. What I dislike however is the 'play feature' of the set where you can fire the car away from the pits. It just doesn't really work, looks unsightly and seems a waste of space and bricks.

I'd give the set a 6/10. Good but could be better.

So I bought yesterday the LaFerrari, my favourite one from the series (and also my favourite in real life). I didn't applied the stikers because the get damaged too easily.

Is there someone who can take some photos comparing the size of the wheels and tires from the City set 60053 Race Car with the size of the wheels and tires on the McLaren P1?

Is there someone who can take some photos comparing the size of the wheels and tires from the City set 60053 Race Car with the size of the wheels and tires on the McLaren P1?

16844689172_a229c67602_c.jpg

16223464374_3247e41d61_c.jpg

16659687149_fd70089fb1_c.jpg

Damn those wheels are large. Then again, though, modern super/hypercars now have 20-21" wheels on thin rubber, so...

Edited by XAxles