I've seen both minidolls and minifigures in some of the MOCs on this board and they don't look ludicrous at all. It looks like real people. Some taller. Some shorter. Some wider. Some thinner.

Same old topic, I guess. One of the main argument was that whether LEGO figures should ignore or emphasize the individal difference of human bodies. Also this saying could be wrong, because when it comes to the licensed characters who are based on images or actors, their toy representives would make contradictions (example, Black Widow versue Emily Jones, who should be the curvier and mature one?). There is no standarad answer for this.

I like the colors and the designs of this theme, but my only problem is the Minidolls, their well designed, but they just don't fit into the regular Lego Universe, what I mean is I couldn't see these elves visiting the Castle Theme or any other themes with Minifigures because it would look to weird, could you see Emmet (from the Lego Movie) talking to these elves without it looking like Toy Story.

Sadly we haven't really got to see this image from any of LEGO's major marketings. Minifigure Online is one thing, as for TLM and LEGO News Show which should represent a general world of LEGO, they simply screwed it up.

I don't mind to see minidolls and minifigures talking together if LEGO agree to do so. Or at least,I always believe that any of the minidoll character could be represented as minifigure in official media.

You guys don't like the minidolls? Some are kinda meh while others are pretty awesome. For example the Aira and Naida minidolls are gorgeous!

Why not? They look almost flawless :wub: Edited by Dorayaki

You guys don't like the minidolls? Some are kinda meh while others are pretty awesome. For example the Aira and Naida minidolls are gorgeous!

They do look great for being minidolls, but nothing can change the fact that they aren't minifigs and therefore much less versatile and customisable.

If Elves had minifigs I would love the theme, now it's just okay. I usually judge a set by its pieces and minifigs and while Elves has many interesting pieces in the sets, the only thing worth with the minidolls are their hairs.

I'm still considering picking up the treehouse and the ship though if I can get them for a nice price.

I think the Elves minidolls are beautifully designed. I'm generally not a fan of minidolls, but I think Lego did a great jobs with these ones. I just wish they could have slightly varied outfits or at least facial expressions, to avoid duplicates of the same character in multiple sets.

I guess it's personal preference, but I find it odd that people will avoid sets just because they dislike the minidoll included. Why not just take the hair piece off and use it to customize a minifigure?

Exactly! I harvest the hair and parts in most of the Friends sets and Elves will be no different. I love the designs and colours, waiting for March to pick up the sets.

I didn't say the Minidolls looked bad, I just said they feel out of place with Minifigs.

I am really coming around to these minidolls the more I see of them. The level of detail is incredible, and doesn't look out of place on minidolls as much as on minifigs as of late. It seems incongruous in many instances to see such high levels of printing quality on the regular boxy minifig; as minidolls have a more detailed shape, the printing fits the style very well.

But I keep coming back to my age-old complaint of how minidolls have almost no articulation. No wrist or hip movement, legs are a single piece...<sigh>...If TLG ever redesigns a few things to be able to include at least a little more poseability--Minidolls 2.0--I would have no complaints.

As is, I'll still pick these up as I can afford them (with all the other hopeful 2015 purchases). The exquisite detailing goes a long way in making up for the lack of articulation, and the set designs and parts and colors are superb.

Edited by rodiziorobs

Am I the only one who thinks the minidoll heads would make great acorns? They are the right shape, if paired with the islander hairpiece.

The sets are great. Lots of new parts, including in-house elf ear designs that may get reused in the rumored 2016 Castle fantasy line. I think I can find some other uses for the minidoll bodies. If only Lego would include the minidoll heads and bodies in the next LDD update.

I find it fun to mix minidolls and minifigs some times. I have to stretch my imagination and pretend. I think the new elves can add some more variety to the mix. :classic:

pinkport1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RwcLlXs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zRTVBa7.jpg

I agree, this theme has some very elegant character designs. And I don't know if the characters could have been nearly as elegant as minifigures. One great advantage of the mini-doll is that their outfits have actual dimension rather than just being printed on as flat decorations.

Great review of the adventure ship, by the way!

They do look great for being minidolls, but nothing can change the fact that they aren't minifigs and therefore much less versatile and customisable.

People could have said the exact same thing about the minifigure when it was first introduced. Well, except that the previous style of figure used in the "Homemaker" and "Building Set with People" themes didn't have a name.

No theme's figures are going to be exceedingly versatile right off the bat. But at the same time, mini-dolls become more versatile and customizable with each new character and outfit introduced. It's true that unless we get a considerable redesign we're not going to get interchangeable hands and legs or anything like that, but on the other hand, LEGO usually doesn't encourage removing minifigure hands, arms, and legs anyway (since it weakens their connections).

The mini-doll is not flawless by any means, but I feel like it has about as many assets compared to regular minifigures as it has flaws. Some people will grow to like the mini-doll and some will not, depending on which of those assets and flaws actually matter to them. But every difference the mini-doll has from the classic minifigure has a reason for its existence.

Edited by Aanchir

People could have said the exact same thing about the minifigure when it was first introduced. Well, except that the previous style of figure used in the "Homemaker" and "Building Set with People" themes didn't have a name.

No theme's figures are going to be exceedingly versatile right off the bat. But at the same time, mini-dolls become more versatile and customizable with each new character and outfit introduced. It's true that unless we get a considerable redesign we're not going to get interchangeable hands and legs or anything like that, but on the other hand, LEGO usually doesn't encourage removing minifigure hands, arms, and legs anyway (since it weakens their connections).

The mini-doll is not flawless by any means, but I feel like it has about as many assets compared to regular minifigures as it has flaws. Some people will grow to like the mini-doll and some will not, depending on which of those assets and flaws actually matter to them. But every difference the mini-doll has from the classic minifigure has a reason for its existence.

Even if we get more and more outfits for the minidolls they are still less versatile and customizable than the minifigs, there is no way to deny that. Hand and leg movement (and ability to change them if you feel like doing that) are huge assets for both playability and building that the minidolls don't have. I don't mind If someone prefers the minidolls because of their more "human-like" appearance (which I guess is the biggest asset they have), but to someone who enjoys building their own characters and posing them in different positions in the sets and MOCs the minifigs are much better.

I know that the minidolls have been thoroughly explored and tested before LEGO launched the Friends theme, and that they are probably popular enough to stay for a long time. I accept that, but hope at the same time that this doesn't make minifig-based themes aimed towards girls impossible.

I pretty agree with that the Elves' designs work better with minidolls rather than minifigures at this point, despite there have been minifigure elves.

Just based on the interview mentioned long time ago, as long as LEGO chose to do the "human-like" figures, they must compromise by giving up some movabilities minifigures used to have. Perhaps the problems would got solved when TLG come up with minidoll 2.0.

I agree that minidolls don't have the diversity it should have as minifigures have. So far the minidolls system is more interested in more kinds of lower body mold for general teenagers but not the others minifigures had (armors, accessories, short bodies). I'm actually abit sad to see that these diversitile minidoll bodies can't be mixed up with female minifigures (who can still only choose either legs or 65slope as their lower body). I also believe that the bendable miniskirt mold could have been introduced for minifigures so that minifigures can look as girly as they could.

Generally the princess line and the elf line indeed do good to the original Friends supporters because they finally have something different to create their MOC character or enlarge their minidoll army. The particular issue could be for those who intend to like minifigure/minidoll more. Some FOLs were ready to get a Cinderella minifigure and later were dissapointed to see her minidoll form (reverse is the same, some might expect to see Supergirl as a minidoll at first). When the brand advertising and storytelling are more successful, the theme-figure type restriction causes the bigger problem.

Here's a look at Aira's small set!

15985015103_d726b94194_z.jpg

16418932259_9474c7840c_z.jpg

16397486257_6be81c6504_z.jpg

16418933449_f40fbf9092_z.jpg

16397486927_fc1e91487d_z.jpg

This set is an excellent parts pack, and a sweet build as well! I love the Aira minidoll, along with all the great rarities including in this set (a nice printed ruler/2x4 map/2x2 round tiles, gold wings, and the scissors), and a pretty sweet deal for $13.

About the minidolls; when I first saw them I was reminded of another popular doll line, Polly Pocket. I remember girls playing with them when I was young. They were still popular with girls at the daycare center I worked at from 2006 to 2010. The minidolls are so similar in design, it wasn't hard to see what market share TLG was after. These were obviously designed for someone other than established Lego fans.

As for the sets, I will likely get the ship and possibly a couple of the small sets. For the other parts I want, bricklink is where I'll go.

Edited by gedren_y

Personally, I like mini dolls used as elves to set them apart from "normal" people (mini figures)

This is actualy what I'm doing.In my Lego world they are alien, pleyadian like race called F-tron :)

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I was at Target today. There was already a cardboard Elves display next to the Friends sets, though sadly only one set was there (the ship.) Whether this means that the other sets were there (but already sold out!) or not I do not know. In any case, it's a bit of a shame, I probably would have picked up Aira's workshop if it was there...But I guess this way I just have to wait about a week to follow my original plan and buy it at the Lego store so I can take advantage of the polybag promos going on. The Magical Fire poly looks interesting enough and it's a great way to round off the minidoll collection (since I imagine it'll be a while until I can afford the treehouse...). For that matter, the Mask of Fire polybag is also a great incentive...quite a fire-heavy promo month, March...

Edited by barnstench fartface

I have Naida's Spa Secret and Azari and the Magical Bakery so far. They're both super adorable. I wish the spa connected somehow, but I love the waterfall effect, and Delphia is too cute. But the bakery is much better in my opinion... it's crazy that they would have lava in this theme, especially as part of the bakery. I'm a big fan of sets with double sides like this one. My only qualm is that the baker's name is "Johnny Baker," while all the other characters have such fantastical names. Also, he doesn't have any tattoos like the others, though I'm pretty sure he's meant to be a fire elf. I'll probably get Farran and the Crystal Hollow next.

I find it fun to mix minidolls and minifigs some times. I have to stretch my imagination and pretend.

What? Pretend?! This is LEGO, there is no room for pretend! :laugh:

Also the smallest Elves set in the USA is $10, not $12 like Brickset says, or the $13 Just2Good paid. So it's even a better deal!

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Aira-s-Creative-Workshop-41071

Edited by Bricknblue

I just finished building the Hideway. What a great set. Many very well thought features (my fav is a cozy place that changes to bed), amazing pieces(portal is a printed dish, and new glitter-filled pieces!)

Here are some things I want to point out:

This set screams for more leaves It's really bare for a tree...

The trees are hollow inside but only one uses that... Easy to fix this though.

There is a fireplace next to a tree, haha. Azari wants to BURN everything I see!

Stickers are usefull and lovely! There is amazing sticker with drawing of all main elves!\

I highly recomend this set!

Edited by Lordofdragonss