Alright, this Elves set is pretty friggin' cool. And it's $15!

16487708396_c157f18ef2_z.jpg

16511981661_011ce55588_z.jpg

16513709965_091c0aeda3_z.jpg

16325981958_3af01b0af6_z.jpg

16512680972_8dd4919328_z.jpg

New moulds:

16326286940_3c1cd5a2fe_z.jpg

Alright, so yeah, $15 for a bunch of lavender tree branches, the cheapest way to get a new key mould, new spikey elf hair, and six point flower bases? Count me in.

Well done Just2good, your reviews have become very polished and professional. You've sold me on this one. The catapult seemed like a weird inclusion considering there are no bad guys. But according to the box it looks like it is actually the squirrel's weapon to use against elves who run off with his nutsack.

Edited by tkatt

Well done Just2good, your reviews have become very polished and professional. You've sold me on this one. The catapult seemed like a weird inclusion considering there are no bad guys. But according to the box it looks like it is actually the squirrel's weapon to use against elves who run off with his nutsack.

Thanks tkatt! That whole scenario sounds funny, didn't notice that at the back of the box!

I seriously hope Lego doesn't try and air this 22 minute short on television. That animation is super choppy at points. :sick:

Other than that, I'm digging this theme's backstory and tone. Seems we've got a deceased grandmother leaving behind heirlooms for her granddaughter to use so she can get sucked away to magical dimensions in time and space, as well as hang out with Ashleigh Ball elf and company. :laugh:

Edited by Kintobor

I got Naida's Epic Adventure Ship when Amazon had them in stock last week, built it today. Very nice set, very solid build. The steering wheel on the ship has a mechanism that turns the sale sail round for steering. That's a bit too loose but should be an easy fix.

Going to swap out some of the brighter colors and make it into a steampunk smuggler's ship. The smaller of the sails included with the LOTR Pirate Ship Ambush is almost exactly the same size as the sail included with the NEAS, but I had to modify the technic mast because the holes are aligned differently.

Edited by blarghiflargh

I just wonder what's the use of the hole from Farran's hairpiece? Great review for 41076, I'm now really eager to see my local release.

Keep in mind that the initial Ninjago special was only about twice as long as this Elves special, and only got a full series in the second year. So it's not outside the realm of possibility that Elves might similarly get more content if the sets prove successful. Ninjago also got online mini-movies in the second half of the first year—perhaps Elves might see something similar, to help flesh out the characters a bit more.

In the comparison with Ninjago or Chima, I think the main issue is that girls not only lack an adventure theme, but also a longterm and well-develpoed storyline that would receive attentions and discussion since both of the previous TV series weren't girls-friendly enough. Just wish that LEGO writers would consider to bring it further.

I just wonder what's the use of the hole from Farran's hairpiece? Great review for 41076, I'm now really eager to see my local release.

In the comparison with Ninjago or Chima, I think the main issue is that girls not only lack an adventure theme, but also a longterm and well-develpoed storyline that would receive attentions and discussion since both of the previous TV series weren't girls-friendly enough. Just wish that LEGO writers would consider to bring it further.

The hole in Farran's hairpiece is likely just for attaching accessories, just like the ones in most other Friends hairpieces (and some non-Friends hairpieces/helmets).

I don't see what more we could hope for in the Elves theme, at least before it's even released. We're getting a full 22-minute TV special, and the recent press release suggest that the website and app will be teeming with other story material, including "online webisodes" that I can only assume will be like the Lego Ninjago mini-movies from that theme's first year. And I would not be surprised if, like Ninjago, the TV special is intended as a "pilot" for a future TV series if the theme proves successful.

I was thinking about completely ignoring this theme but I noticed the tree house set is kinda neat. It'll need a bit of work but it might become a decent living place or outpost for the traditional Elf minifigs or the Forestmen.

I was thinking about completely ignoring this theme but I noticed the tree house set is kinda neat. It'll need a bit of work but it might become a decent living place or outpost for the traditional Elf minifigs or the Forestmen.

Yeah, that's my plan as well for the tree house. And I'll be modifying the boat to use with the Fantasy Castle knight faction.

Actually, the problem was a lack of a "pretty & pink"-esque adventure line for girls. A surprising portion of the NINJAGO fanbase is made up by girls. Sadly, LEGO doesn't want to seize the opportunity but rather throw it out the window for a new line. That being said, I love almost all of the new Winter-wave Elves sets. The Summer ones... not so much.

Edited by Mandate

Am I the only one who thinks Elves needs more different figures? 7 characters in 8 sets is just weird. In Disney Princess there's 13 in 10 (a theme with a similar amount of sets that features mini-dolls.) You say Friends but they at least give the characters variations.

I am impressed with the amount of new animals though :D

The hole in Farran's hairpiece is likely just for attaching accessories, just like the ones in most other Friends hairpieces (and some non-Friends hairpieces/helmets).

Well, I mean that we don't really expect any accessory for boys. Not sure if we'll see any unconventinoal use for that hole.

Actually, the problem was a lack of a "pretty & pink"-esque adventure line for girls. A surprising portion of the NINJAGO fanbase is made up by girls. Sadly, LEGO doesn't want to seize the opportunity but rather throw it out the window for a new line. That being said, I love almost all of the new Winter-wave Elves sets. The Summer ones... not so much.

I'd say it's actually difficult for Ninjago. Even though they could add more female roles for both stories (Chima: more female animal tribal warriors / Ninjago: one female ninja spot for the original team), the fact is both cartoons are visually occupied by lots of vehicles which hardly interest girls. At most, they can only add several female key characters in later stories as compensation.

I think girls mainly enjoy seeing hand-to-hand fights and are interested in character relationships behind the Ninjago stories. Just hope that Elves would also show some magical fight things, if opponents exist.

Am I the only one who thinks Elves needs more different figures? 7 characters in 8 sets is just weird. In Disney Princess there's 13 in 10 (a theme with a similar amount of sets that features mini-dolls.) You say Friends but they at least give the characters variations.

I am impressed with the amount of new animals though :D

Remember that license themes need to recreate the characters with accurate molds, while LEGO can decide how the subcharacters from their own stories look. They're not always the same.

I didn't get to see the whole cartoon story so not sure if there are more elves living along with the main elves? LEGO could just deal it like Friends and Chima: add alternative colors to the Elves hairpieces, which could represent the same origin of tribe. Some old elf headgears could also give good varieties to this theme.

Maybe they can do a set that consists of all the Elves figures redone in minifig form?

They could had done that with Friends, I assume. :tongue: Edited by Dorayaki

I'm definitely going to have to get my girls (ok, me!) all of these, and the two sets coming in summer.

Uhmmmmm baby dragon? A good surprise for fantasy FOLs. However the "new" owl looks abit unnecessary since we could still see the HP owl in Heartlake High and it's not that outdated. I'm also not very sure about how the "roadsign" building along with the sleigh works. This might need explanation from the story.

Nice, the pegasus' gray wings will significantly upgrade my Harry Potter griffins.

I'm pretty sure those are silver... not sure they'll fit your needs as well (not that I'm any less excited).

the fact is both cartoons are visually occupied by lots of vehicles which hardly interest girls.

NINJAGO's cartoon visually occupied by vehicles? Other than the Destiny's Bounty, it isn't. Most vehicles get trashed immediately after they first come in, or are just never seen again (Lloyd's Jungle Raider, Earth Drill, all Skulkin vehicles, etc).

You're also making a very broad assumption, especially seeing as NINJAGO has a sizable female portion of its fanbase.