That sounds remarkably like the plot of My Little Pony: Equestria Girls.

Dammit I haven't watched that yet

I was looking at the spiky hair with pointed ears, and I started to wonder... Do you think this theme will ever give us an appropriate bowl cut with pointy ears for a Vulcan or Romulan? This is probably just wishful thinking, but do you think there's actually a chance of it happening?

It's not likely, since it is quite an unfashionable style. Not ruling it out, but TLG tends to stick to whatever is cool or normal at the time.

These look gorgeous! I'll definetly be picking up the ship and workshop. If my wallet can afford it, I might pick up the treetop hideaway.

Anyone else notice the giant portal on top of a smoke shrouded mountain in the background for all the box art? Even the treehouse, which comes with a portal of it's own, shows it in the background. I'm guessing this is the portal Emily needs to return to her world, and maybe the treetop portal was a one-way portal that brought her here? I wonder if there are plans for it to appear in a wave 2 of if it's just a part of the background lore.

I'm almost certain there will be a second wave featuring the portal. Note that only three of the four keys seem to be available in this wave.

It's too bad for all those historical fantasy Castle fans who thought this line would be more Middle-Earth-esque, but I do think this looks like a great theme. Moreover, given what we know from TLG's research that led to Friends (i.e., about most girls not really responding to traditional minifigures), I'm very glad to see the range of minidoll lines being expanded upon.

What are people's thoughts about the longevity of this theme - will it be an ongoing fantasy complement to the more realistic, City-esque domain of Friends, or is it more of a "seasonal" line of just a few waves, like most of the others discussed in this forum (Atlantis, Power Miners, etc.), to be replaced by a new minidolls-based adventure theme in a year or three?

Tangents:

That sounds remarkably like the plot of My Little Pony: Equestria Girls.

Not that that's a bad thing! :grin:

Agreed, though the core show it's based on is better still, as I'm sure you're more than aware. I'd honestly dearly love official My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic LEGO sets; it's too bad there's no way it'll ever happen. (Darned competing corporate ownerships, getting in the way of everything - it's kind of hard to whip up brick-built figures of Slinky Dog and Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head that are minifigure-sized and look good next to the official versions of the other Toy Story characters. At least minidolls might offer passable attempts at Barbie and Ken...)

Dammit I haven't watched that yet

Oops. Sorry - I just assumed everyone here with any interest in it would have seen it already. My apologies! If it's any consolation, most of those basics are laid out fairly early in the movie.

It's not likely, since it is quite an unfashionable style. Not ruling it out, but TLG tends to stick to whatever is cool or normal at the time.

Honestly, I think the best bet will be for TLG to someday do official Star Trek sets. It's unlikely, but it could happen someday, if Hasbro doesn't hang onto the construction toy license.

What are people's thoughts about the longevity of this theme - will it be an ongoing fantasy complement to the more realistic, City-esque domain of Friends, or is it more of a "seasonal" line of just a few waves, like most of the others discussed in this forum (Atlantis, Power Miners, etc.), to be replaced by a new minidolls-based adventure theme in a year or three?

My guess is it will run similar to Chima or Ninjago, slated for a two-to-three year run, but possibly more if successful enough (à la Ninjago). There is likely a tv series planned also, although I would not be surprised one bit if TLG holds off on that to see how successful this line ends up being before they go all-out on the media tie-ins.

I agree with rodizirobs, it's probably a line with two or three waves planned, and depending on sales, they can either expand it further or cancel it early if they want. If we look at the minifig lines, there are really only two evergreen properties: City, which is filled by Heartlake City in the minidoll line, and Star Wars, which is kind of a special case. So this is probably a ninjago equivalent.

I am very excited by this attempt from lego to expand the minidoll line beyond the shopping malls, beauty parlors, and juice bars of Heartlake city into more imaginative, adventurous teritory. I hope the success of Elves leads to many more minidoll themes that are already popular in the minifig lines. Can you imagine minidoll space, historical, and creator equivalents?

Oops. Sorry - I just assumed everyone here with any interest in it would have seen it already. My apologies! If it's any consolation, most of those basics are laid out fairly early in the movie.

Well it's been out for long enough. Besides I don't watch that stuff for the plot but for the humour. And the hot cartoon ponies. :laugh:

Honestly, I think the best bet will be for TLG to someday do official Star Trek sets. It's unlikely, but it could happen someday, if Hasbro doesn't hang onto the construction toy license.

I agree they probably won't, but what I was getting at was that, since they put pointy ears on that sleepy kid hairpiece (at least, it looks like it), could they not do the same to this:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x219

Or this:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=62711

Or something else like that. I think the latter is more likely. In any case, it's more of wishful thinking, but I think it's still possible.

Something I do sort of wonder is whether future waves of Elves might introduce any kind of antagonist. Currently it's got the makings of a great adventure story even without one, but even shows like My Little Pony and Littlest Pet Shop include occasional antagonists to provide person-versus-person conflict.

It's not as though including an antagonist would be a first for a girl-oriented LEGO theme, of course. Belville had multiple sets with witches, such as 5804, 5808, 5838, and 5962. Still, I think it would do a lot to enhance play and storytelling opportunities in current girl-oriented themes.

Agreed, though the core show it's based on is better still, as I'm sure you're more than aware. I'd honestly dearly love official My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic LEGO sets; it's too bad there's no way it'll ever happen. (Darned competing corporate ownerships, getting in the way of everything - it's kind of hard to whip up brick-built figures of Slinky Dog and Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head that are minifigure-sized and look good next to the official versions of the other Toy Story characters. At least minidolls might offer passable attempts at Barbie and Ken...)

The main point I care about is whether Elves is going to have a TV cartoon series to help us know the story. If they do, then it'll be a similiar commercial case with Ninjago and Chima: the popular original series guarantee its continuation. In Friends' case, it doesn't have complicated storylines, but TLG doesnt' really invest on Friends cartoon series as they do for the others.

It feels like Castle has gone seasonal......, uh, I mean Castle doesn't have a continual storyline, but not Elves has. If Elves gets a new story, it could end up as a whole new plot, like Beville which includes different princess eras.

Something I do sort of wonder is whether future waves of Elves might introduce any kind of antagonist. Currently it's got the makings of a great adventure story even without one, but even shows like My Little Pony and Littlest Pet Shop include occasional antagonists to provide person-versus-person conflict.

It's not as though including an antagonist would be a first for a girl-oriented LEGO theme, of course. Belville had multiple sets with witches, such as 5804, 5808, 5838, and 5962. Still, I think it would do a lot to enhance play and storytelling opportunities in current girl-oriented themes.

I'm curious too. If it was meant to be any kind of Castle-subtheme or action theme, it could be that there are four elf tribes which have warfare problems, much like Chima. So far the Elves sets just focus on the main Elves, much liek Friends' story focus on the five heroines. It'd be nice to see a dark elf tribe as a series continuation.

Collecting keys also sounds like another action theme, but usually there are monsters watching for the treasures, like MF, PQ. Just based on what we've seen, Emily and the elves are just having some adventures in dangerous places, which is a similiar idea from Friends Jungle, which didn't give us hunters or predators.

Edited by Dorayaki

This site has product descriptions, including full character names. The elves are named Azari Firedancer, Aira Whisperwind, Naida Riverheart, Farran Leafshade, and Johnny Baker. The animals are named Miss Spry (squirrel) Delphia (dolphin), Pluma (bird), and Flamy (fox). The Treetop Hideaway isn't listed, though, so I don't know the name of the panther cub.

I'm loving those names, except for poor Johnny Baker. Surely there's a more imaginative name for him. Hotcross John, Ferrez Breadstone, Kallen Doughspree, thesee are just off the top of my head. Also, I'd love to see an antogonist (that's not an angry, acorn hurling squirel) in future waves! It doesn't have to be a dark and angry menace, but maybe just a faction that is afraid of more strangers coming through the portal and wants to close it or something.

what is the release for these?

I've seen some sites list March 2015, but I don't know if that's global. It might be a January release for some countries.

UPDATE: The Elves sets are listed with product descriptions in this German LEGO brand catalog, with a release date of March!

Story description:

"Join Emily Jones in her exciting journey through the magical world of Elvendale, beginning at a mysterious door in her grandmother's garden. Emily needs help to find the way back home. In order to open the gate to that separates her from her home, Emily must find four keys - but she can only manage this with the help of her elven friends. Learn all the details about LEGO Elves on LEGO.com/elves and download the app, to witness the adventure!"

Oh, and the panther cub's name is Enki, and it belongs to Farran.

Obviously it's far from an original idea, but the plot is reminding me more & more of that TV show with T-bag & T-shirt where the girl went to some fantasy world & had to find silver keys, letters or spoons (depending on the series).

I suspect that this may just be a movie spin-off of Friends, with Emily coming from the Friends universe into this one.

I suspect that this may just be a movie spin-off of Friends, with Emily coming from the Friends universe into this one.

I don't know what you mean by "movie spin-off". I admit it'd be super-cool if Emily hailed from Heartlake City (after all, her specific hometown is unlikely to factor too heavily into the story), but I don't think that'd limit the new theme's story or make it less of a standalone theme than Friends (any more than when other Lego themes cross over, like Atlantis and Power Miners).

If we're not considering minidolls themes as an enclosed world, Emily could come from anywhere else. Of course, in that saying she could better be an used minidolls from previous sets, especially for that Emily's hairpiece was initially introduced by Joanna. I did guess that TLG made this hair to reserve for a future key character, but Joanna relatively loses a potential chance of getting any bigger role :sceptic: .

Edited by Dorayaki

If we're not considering minidolls themes as an enclosed world, Emily could come from anywhere else. Of course, in that saying she could better be an used minidolls from previous sets, especially for that Emily's hairpiece was initially introduced by Joanna. I did guess that TLG made this hair to reserve for a future key character, but Joanna relatively loses a potential chance of getting any bigger role :sceptic: .

Oh, I totally agree that Emily could come from anywhere. But I think it'd be a neat shout-out for her to hail from Heartlake City, and I don't think it'd be restrictive seeing as I doubt the story is going to focus much on Emily's home in the "real world". It'd be sort of like a backdoor pilot, but for a Lego theme instead of for a TV show.

If one is going to use mini doll as a link that means she could come from Arendelle for that matter.

My guess there will be no direct links made between this theme and friends. Leaving such things to the imagination.and creative of its target audience.

That being said, if Emily is able to enter this world from her own then that means people could enter her world. Which means the evil forces that lurk could march upon the streets of Heartlake city! Who will save them? Will chaos rein in our quiet and peaceful nook of the world? Will the masked crusaders save the city from destruction? Find out next time, same bat time, same bat channel.

If one is going to use mini doll as a link that means she could come from Arendelle for that matter.

My guess there will be no direct links made between this theme and friends. Leaving such things to the imagination.and creative of its target audience.

That being said, if Emily is able to enter this world from her own then that means people could enter her world. Which means the evil forces that lurk could march upon the streets of Heartlake city! Who will save them? Will chaos rein in our quiet and peaceful nook of the world? Will the masked crusaders save the city from destruction? Find out next time, same bat time, same bat channel.

Well, keep in mind that it's apparently much easier to get from Emily's world to Elvendale than the other way around. Otherwise Emily wouldn't need to go to such lengths to get back!

Well of course, otherwise there would be no story. And it certainly has never stopped the forces of evil before. There is always some evil genius hatching plans. The point being I see great potential with this line, not only story wise but piece wise as well.

Well, getting out of the pool is actually easy, but not so easy to get out without bringing some of it with you?