I love the character designs. I'm just now noticing that each of the four main elves has a unique tattoo/birthmark on their left shoulder. The box art in general looks epic as well.

I can't wait to learn more about this theme! It definitely seems like something I'm going to want to collect next year, in addition to BIONICLE and Ninjago. It has a lot of the same magic that drew me to those themes, but also plenty of unique appeal of its own.

Flesh, like other mini-dolls. Of course, nothing a dab of yellow paint won't fix, for those people looking to create custom elves for LEGO Castle displays.

... and not horrified by the prospect of modding elements, of course.

Though we haven't seen many (any?) hair elements created specifically for the minidoll themes turn up in minifigure sets yet, it's within the realm of possibility they might turn up in one, with yellow ears (and / or new colors for the hair as well).

Though we haven't seen many (any?) hair elements created specifically for the minidoll themes turn up in minifigure sets yet, it's within the realm of possibility they might turn up in one, with yellow ears (and / or new colors for the hair as well).

The themes I tend to buy sets from don't lend themselves to using girl hair, so there may be others I don't know about, but the Castle 2013 princess used Emma's hair in dark red.

Okay, I didn't realize that Azari appears in two sets. :tongue: That means four main elves appear in two sets while Emily and the bakery guy appear in one.

So much improvement on images. Especially the official character portraits. Feels like the characters from this theme are older than Friends and probably will target at older girls who watch high school drama. Hope that we can see more sophisticated fantasy buildings in future waves.

Yeah, for unknown reason we don't see many cases with Friends hairstyles reintroduced in other themes, while Friends 2015 begin to include some minifig ones. I believe some licensed female characters could have been more accurate with them.

And speaking of that, I wonder why the bakery guy doesn't use an old elf headpiece (from Hobbits, CMF Elf / Holday Elf) but has to share the new one with Farran?

Edited by Dorayaki

Before, I was going to try and pick these up aftermarket, without the 'dolls in order to save some money...and not have to get the dolls. But now, I am not so sure. Those are really great designs. I am absolutely loving these sets.

Of course, I am still bummed at the lack of minidoll articulation, but I might be willing to overlook that now, having seen the final designs.

Edited by rodiziorobs

The themes I tend to buy sets from don't lend themselves to using girl hair, so there may be others I don't know about, but the Castle 2013 princess used Emma's hair in dark red.

Ah, cool. I thought there might be, but wasn't sure; that's why I used the wording I did, so I'd be safe no matter what.

So, that does establish that they're willing not just to make the hair / headgear for the two figure types interchangeable, then, but to actually use them that way in sets (which was already the case in one direction, anyway, since male minidolls in Friends have used minifigure hair). Hopefully we'll get all these hair types used more broadly across all themes.

I've found that, to my taste, the Friends girl hair pieces don't fit aesthetically with minifigures very well. I think it has to do with the volume of the Friends hairs; they pair well with the very slight Friends figures, but feel too bulky on the already-bulky normal minifigure frame. The new boy elf hair part might work just fine on minifigures since it appears to be pretty similar in volume to the sleepyhead spiky hair, but I have doubts about the girl elf hair.

Wow!

Seeing the sets close up- I love them! They look great! The colors and designs are just fantastic!

I don't like the minidolls though. I normally don't like minidolls in general, but these seem worse than the other ones. It doesn't take anything away from those wonderful sets though!

Is it just my imagination, or does the Treetop have new flower stems which can fit up to six flowers?

Yes. Yes it does.

Oh my...

I normally don't like minidolls and more girl oriented sets, but some of these sets are... wonderful. I may even be tempted to pick one up here and there since some of the designs are pretty neat. But for me, it's the plethora of new parts that are pulling me in. Just from what I can currently see from the two newly revealed sets, I am going to need to get hold of some of the six-stemmed flower stems, the pearl gold grass, the new fence piece and plenty of those trans-purple chains. And are those five-point crystals in the bakery in a new colour? Not sure if it's just a trick of the lighting, but they look trans-dark pink to me. I look forward to picking those up most of all!

No idea what I'd do with the parts though!

I've found that, to my taste, the Friends girl hair pieces don't fit aesthetically with minifigures very well. I think it has to do with the volume of the Friends hairs; they pair well with the very slight Friends figures, but feel too bulky on the already-bulky normal minifigure frame. The new boy elf hair part might work just fine on minifigures since it appears to be pretty similar in volume to the sleepyhead spiky hair, but I have doubts about the girl elf hair.

Judging by compatibility, the minidolls hair that has physical problems on minifig is Stephanie due to her fringe. As for certain minifigure ones which don't work well with minidolls, their common problem is that the long hairstyles usually surround the shoulders of figs, however they don't suit the shoulders of dolls.

The rest are mostly okay. The thickness of hairpieces of dolls are mostly thicker than minifigs so minifig hairstyles don't look that good on minidolls sometimes.

Edited by Dorayaki

I don't know if it was discussed earlier, but it looks like there will be 4 elements that are displayed in some sets on 2x2 round tiles (water, fire, air nature(?) ). Do we know if there will be 4 factions based on these, or what? I guess they won't fight each other.

I don't know if it was discussed earlier, but it looks like there will be 4 elements that are displayed in some sets on 2x2 round tiles (water, fire, air nature(?) ). Do we know if there will be 4 factions based on these, or what? I guess they won't fight each other.

I think the leaf icon represents the element of Earth. I don't think the elves will be broken up into factions — however, it is clear that each of the main elves is associated with a different element that they control (Farran controls Earth, Azari controls Fire, Aira controls Air, and Naida controls Water). Perhaps all elves in their society control the elements, or perhaps these four are special, like the ninja from LEGO Ninjago.

There are also smaller 1x1 round tiles with elemental icons, used on the four magical keys.

Well, like a lot of others, I see a lot to like here, but I still am not liking minidolls at all. I'd buy these if they were minifigure based; I may buy if there is interest in people buying the minidolls just to get the other stuff - pink and purple leaves are cool; the six stem flowers are fantastic. The overall sets are great... just don't like minidolls.

Such wonderful colours! I also like the look of what I hope are elemental stickers, or printed round tiles. It will be interesting to see what media tie-in there is.

And

EDIT: I just noticed that Brickshop.nl's product pages for the elves sets include a little rhyme: "Home to find she must be clever. Unity is needed more than ever." This is interesting. I'm guessing "she" refers to our protagonist, Emily Jones. Presenting the theme's premise as a rhyme definitely suits the fairy-tale imagery of the theme.

EDIT 2: The product descriptions on babybrick.ru also indicate that the purpose of the keys is to open the portal for Emily to return home.

My guess is, although they are not warring factions, the different characters don't really get along. I imagine that they used to be friends but had a falling out long ago or something. Emily's job is to get them all to reunite and help resolve whatever happened so that they can use their powers/keys together to return her home. It would allow for some non-violent conflict, character dynamics, and some side-quest type adventures for Emily. Just my two bits' worth.

My guess is, although they are not warring factions, the different characters don't really get along. I imagine that they used to be friends but had a falling out long ago or something. Emily's job is to get them all to reunite and help resolve whatever happened so that they can use their powers/keys together to return her home. It would allow for some non-violent conflict, character dynamics, and some side-quest type adventures for Emily. Just my two bits' worth.

That sounds remarkably like the plot of My Little Pony: Equestria Girls.

I just had a thought...

I was looking at the spiky hair with pointed ears, and I started to wonder... Do you think this theme will ever give us an appropriate bowl cut with pointy ears for a Vulcan or Romulan? This is probably just wishful thinking, but do you think there's actually a chance of it happening?

That sounds remarkably like the plot of My Little Pony: Equestria Girls.

Not that that's a bad thing! :grin: