I have a likely theory as to why TLG created the mini-doll. Just my $0.02 on the matter.

First, I believe the mini-doll was not created for the established Lego fan, but to tap into the doll buyers' market. TLG has tried to do this in the past, with more traditionally sized doll themes. The old themes were largely unsuccessful in the US, likely due to the brand power of established doll companies and issues with Lego System compatibilities. The Friends theme was created to get new consumers interested in Lego.

Secondly, the shape is oddly similar to the very successful Polly Pocket doll franchise. This gives TLG two things, a new product that seems familiar and the ability to produce an animated television show in a style currently popular with the target consumer. Additionally, I'd like to commend TLG for not perpetuating the 'popular mean girl' stereotype.

I think TLG has finally captured enough of that market share, so the mini-doll should be around for quite some time.

If this theme is actually Fairies, and not Elves (because of bad German/English translation), then I would expect a lot of Tinkerbell/Smurf-like buildings. I would also expect, large (compared with the mini-doll) insects, mice and other animals. Even if the translation of the word Elves is correct, we could still see that kind of scale. If the 'tiny magical creatures' idea is the correct intent of this theme, this could actually be a Friends spin-off if they were to inhabit the same world, just closer to the ground.

There is also the possibility that TLG is going after the female fantasy market. An anime style elf theme similar to ElfQuest, or Winx Club if fairies.

Any of these options would be fine by me.

How is Groovebricks "The Ultimate Lego News Source" if they just repeat what was posted in this thread here on EB? Repeating a rumor doesn't proove it.

I have a likely theory as to why TLG created the mini-doll. Just my $0.02 on the matter.

Well there is no likely, Pandora's talks explained most things.

We don't have to be surprised or angry about the fact that TLG has to put reopening a new market in the first place. Something doubtful is that they don't try to add the values of connections that used to exist in other earlier minifigure themes, which is not the correct way to encourage their new consumers (girls) to play LEGO. From the previous replies we may see that some historical FOLs are not happy with this news (though it could also be owing to what Disney products showed last year).

Oh, and,

popular mean girls do exist, but not physically. I think it just depends on how plot writers and product designers make compromise. Earlier Polly Pocket was also badly influenced by mean girl stories

Back to the topic, the new leak names make me feel like there would be a more composed story behind this theme than Friends. There is a bigger chance that a TV show series would appear. But just hope that it wouldn't be as polarizing as Chima.

Edited by Dorayaki

I thought this could a Castle Fantasy Era revival... :sadnew:

I hope TLG bring it back at some point, including more creatures like elves, giants, goblins or more human factions like the amazons

... Gosh! That theme had so much potential! :sad:

Don't wanna be the dealbreaker here,but did ya guys even thought about it that these are maybe not elves in the sense of "tolkien"style but rather with wings,magic wands and dressed in pink?

That's my other concern, besides the frustration of ending LOTR line. This could be a Friends-friendly type of effort, in which case :thumbdown:

I think you guys are confusing elves with fairies...

Which is understandable, given the German translation :wink: In German, "Elf"= Elf (both the long-eared warrior variety and the Santa Clause ones) and "Elfe" (or "Fee") = Fairy. The problem arises when using the words in plural: the plural of both "Elf" and "Elfe" is "Elfen", which causes the confusion :grin:

Which is understandable, given the German translation :wink: In German, "Elf"= Elf (both the long-eared warrior variety and the Santa Clause ones) and "Elfe" (or "Fee") = Fairy. The problem arises when using the words in plural: the plural of both "Elf" and "Elfe" is "Elfen", which causes the confusion :grin:

Point taken.

By looking at the names I'm sure we are getting Winx like fairies who just like Friends have own personalities.

I bet we will get TONS of natural-looking stuff. And We- castle fans LOVE THEM!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

David got back to me about the confusion surrounding the name. It is indeed 'Elves', so there wasn't a translation error. Nevertheless, given the set numbers and the names, I still think this is a theme aimed at girls.

I wouldn't expect any wings though, because I think that would hit a little too close to Disney's 'Fairies' license and I can't imagine Lego doing anything to upset their relationship with Disney which is a gold mine (Star Wars, anyone?).

So not exactly Fairies, but no immortal, bow slinging high fantasy creatures either.

I wonder if these will have some elemental associations. Naida is just a [deliberate or not] typograpical error away from Naiad, a sort of water nymph from Greek legends (and he/she has a spa, or a fountain or whatever). In this scheme Aira would be clearly associated with air, but Azari and Farran are not that obvious names (or at least I don't get them?). Baking could include fire and crystals are from earth, I suppose. Of course, they might not be that straight-forwardly elementally anyway.

Naida would be rather awkwardly unfortunate name in Finnish, as it is colloquially used as a somewhat rude word for copulating.

Edited by Haltiamieli

Naida would be rather awkwardly unfortunate name in Finnish, as it is colloquially used as a somewhat rude word for copulating.

Everything is possible in the Crystal Cave.

Not quite true. A part that is of a licenced trade mark is not the same as a part used in a licenced theme.

It would be really funny, but at the same time really disappointing. Tinkerbell theme in minidolls. Would be awesome if I was slightly a girl. But I am a man. :look:

My daughter would love Tinkerbell theme! We just found the movies and are devouring them

There is: http://www.eurobrick...00#entry1983624

I don't know about that. However, I don't think that the new Elves theme fits into the Historic Themes forum either. Maybe a Mod should try to figure out where to hold this discussion. If it stays here, I am afraid that many users who are interested in Friends (and Disney Princess for that matter) won't find this thread, which is certainly of great interest to them.

Agreed. I keep forgetting about Disney Princess because I don't go to Licensed as much. but I kept hearing rumors around the forums about Elves so did a search to find this thread.

From http://www.brickshop.be/lego/lego-elves.html, translated with Google:

The huge success of LEGO Friends and Disney Princes goes on for girls LEGO: LEGO Elves. Beautiful sets with beautiful colors. Remained more adventures with these fairies!

So I guess we figured everything out just right. Fairy-like elves (although this time, fairies is indeed a translation error!), minidolls, girls theme.

Should we move this thread to Special Themes now?

The terms 'elf' and 'fairy' are still subjective in English. I have a whole rant that I could go into about the entomology of the words, and their cultural derivations and deviations.

Given that this is expected to be a fantasy theme, the thread is probably in the right place.

From http://www.brickshop...lego-elves.html, translated with Google:

So I guess we figured everything out just right. Fairy-like elves (although this time, fairies is indeed a translation error!), minidolls, girls theme.

Should we move this thread to Special Themes now?

This description is even more interesting:

Emily, a normal girl, ended up by chance in the land of the elves. She needs the help of her fairy friends who have magical powers, to which Emily needs to go home to open the gate find the four hidden keys

From here. Sounds pretty fun! We've never even got an Emily in a LEGO Friends set before, so the name works. :laugh:

I have to say, the sets sound really fun. I bet the color scheme will be peaceful and beautiful. I'd love to get the sets and just swap out the minidolls. Hopefully the scale won't look too off as I feel it does in some Friends sets.

I grew up on Belville, with the same accessories as minifigs have, trust me that makes everything minifigs touch seem out of proportion, they fit dolls twice the size better! So I've always found mugs, bread, all that kind of thing comedically large, whether it be minifig or minidoll.

Mmm...mugs. Still need a good beer mug/stein for our little Lego pals. I get that TLG may not be keen on it, but 3rd party guys need to get going with that! My dwarves, orcs, vikings, goblins, hobbits, etc are thirsty...

Im kinda glad this isnt "the" Castle theme for 2015. Im not really into elves, so I wasnt all that thrilled with the speculation and possibilities. What we do get will hopefully be more to my taste. (Im pretty sure we will get something in the summer, as we usually do.)

As for this Elves theme, I wish it well, but Im not interested. Might check out the parts

There were no Castle sets in the 2015 Retailers Catalog; however, there are summer sets listed such as Pirates. I think Castle is taking a longer nap. It has been resting this year as well.

Pirates are not summer release, but late winter release (march).

As for Elves: sets look kind of modern (certainly not in Lotr style). Could this have something in common with upcoming Disney King Of The Elves movie?

The movie, and original work, is about a Mississippi man who gets named King of the Elves. The original work has the man's name as Shadrach Jones, but the Disney wikia page on the movie lists the name as Calder. While I think this film might appeal to girls, the concept art doesn't track with the look of the mini-dolls.

Also from earlier reports, the Lego theme is centered around a girl named Emily.