Mike S

Aslanic Temple in Ruadh

Brother Giotto had been a masterful traveling artist before he had taken vows to join the Aslanic Order of priests. But with the training and missionary work he had done after joining the order, he had no time to pursue his past time. Now that he is the attending priest in Ruadh, he has once again tried his hand at art but is totally disappointed with his efforts. Siedna who often visits the different residents of Ruadh tries to comfort him, telling him not to worry but that he is just a bit rusty.

14855421899_193a359352_c.jpg

14855439219_ca2d78556b_c.jpg

As always everything opens up.

14855512410_0a01d27038_c.jpg

You must really like building temples, Mike, good job though! I love the gold and white combination, the plants on the side (that's a pretty cool technique), and those palm trees. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Really nice temple Masa... I like the flowers on the back and the trees also!

someone is out to missionize the people of Historica it seems ... That said, I wonder how your temples would fit in a northern environment. You could always plant one of those temples in Thorshaven ...

You must really like building temples, Mike, good job though! I love the gold and white combination, the plants on the side (that's a pretty cool technique), and those palm trees. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks! Haha, well sometimes a build for someone else gives more incentive than just a personal build. These temples have been fun to build and I'm looking forward to my temple build in Shadowmere...

Really nice temple Masa... I like the flowers on the back and the trees also!

Thanks!

Another amazing build :)

Thank you!

someone is out to missionize the people of Historica it seems ... That said, I wonder how your temples would fit in a northern environment. You could always plant one of those temples in Thorshaven ...

Well, the Aslanic Order is established only in cities where invited. Bishop Jamon believes that in order to keep the faith pure, people should not be forced nor bribed to join. Bishop Jamon does not petition town leaders to invite the Aslanic Order to establish a temple in their towns. But if a town on their own accord invites the Aslanic Order to establish a temple within its borders, Bishop Jamon is happy to oblige.

That being said, is this an official invitation for the order to build a temple in Thorshaven? :sweet:

Edited by Mike S

The people of Thorshaven are a tolerant and curious people and invite the Aslanic Order to build a temple in Thorshaven! (maybe i can copy it and include it in my layout)

Awesome! Love the railing at the top of the stairs- simple, but a really nice effect.

'm looking forward to my temple build in Shadowmere...

I'm looking forward to it too!

Someone seems to have brought out the fishing equipment! :laugh:

Another great temple, Mike! Again, I like how you reuse architectural elements, but still manage to build something with its own look.

Edited by Bregir

Wow, not just the temple but look at those palm trees! Oh and those tulips too! (the arabs introduced tulips to europe if i believe correctly) Great stuff! :thumbup:

Wow! Carn would be happy to have one of these temples. Again, wow!

Thanks! Carn is on Bishop Jamons list of places to build temples. Btw do you have any links to Carn. I'm going to have to do a bit of research on its location before I build there.

So many temples! All of them are great too, so I won't complain!

Haha, and I'm not even half done. Thanks!

Awesome! Love the railing at the top of the stairs- simple, but a really nice effect.

I'm looking forward to it too!

Thanks! Yeah I thought that railing worked out just perfect. Still working on the design for Shadowmere's Aslanic Temple. I'm really going to have to think out of the box on this one so that it doesn't look out of place with the black walls and red roofs of the surrounding buildings.

Another great temple from you Mike! The walls and side roofing are great, and I love the trees!

Thanks man!

Someone seems to have brought out the fishing equipment! :laugh:

Another great temple, Mike! Again, I like how you reuse architectural elements, but still manage to build something with its own look.

Thanks! Its been fun trying to come up with different builds that have similar architectural styles.

Another exquisite temple. I love the flowers on the side and those palm trees :thumbup:

Thank you!

Wow, not just the temple but look at those palm trees! Oh and those tulips too! (the arabs introduced tulips to europe if i believe correctly) Great stuff! :thumbup:

Thanks!

Another lovely temple! Although I miss the boat hull roof, the shape given by the SNOT curved slopes gives somewhat of the same overall feeling, and the tower is of course instantly recognizable :classic:

What is the state of the Aslanic Order in Barqa nowadays btw? If I were to include one of their priests in an upcoming build, are there any suggestions on how to make him look (can't replicate that one exactly...)?

Another lovely temple! Although I miss the boat hull roof, the shape given by the SNOT curved slopes gives somewhat of the same overall feeling, and the tower is of course instantly recognizable :classic:

What is the state of the Aslanic Order in Barqa nowadays btw? If I were to include one of their priests in an upcoming build, are there any suggestions on how to make him look (can't replicate that one exactly...)?

Thanks! I had planned on building a temple in Barqa but since the scale of temple in such a large city should be comparatively large, I kind of gave up on it. However, though it is not represented in brick form, I would like to say that there is a large temple there as wells a small fortress that houses a small standing army of Aslanic Knights. (I've based the Aslanic Order loosely off of the Teutonic Knights). The Priests wear different garb depending on their rank just like the soldiers, with the highest ranks wearing elaborate and fancy clothes while the lower ranks wearing simple garb. But in all cases the orders colors (white and red) are displayed whether high or low rank.

Btw, I decided against using the boat hulls for this build as I figured the would timbers would not be as readily available.

Again a very nice temple Mike!! I am really looking forward to the Aslanic Temple in Stedor! :)

It sounds like the Aslanic Knights still are an important part of Barqa's forces then? :classic: Maybe even the main force of heavy cavalry? (Even a relatively small number of such knights would be a feared iron fist)

Anyway, I suppose a king torso from Kingdoms, a red cape and maybe a red hood or a bald head (CMF Shakespeare or grandpa) would work for a priest walking down the street then?

Again a very nice temple Mike!! I am really looking forward to the Aslanic Temple in Stedor! :)

Thanks!

It sounds like the Aslanic Knights still are an important part of Barqa's forces then? :classic: Maybe even the main force of heavy cavalry? (Even a relatively small number of such knights would be a feared iron fist)

Anyway, I suppose a king torso from Kingdoms, a red cape and maybe a red hood or a bald head (CMF Shakespeare or grandpa) would work for a priest walking down the street then?

The extent of the Aslanic Knights presence in Barqa depends on the current ruler's relations with the order. I'm sure that a ruler that is politically neutral or at odds with the Order would probably see a large Aslanic force stationed in Barqa as a threat (like in Ruadh) while a ruler that is politically allied with the Order would consider a large Aslanic force an aegis.

That would work perfectly for a priest but any hairstyle would do. Unlike a lot of RL religious orders, the Aslanic Order does not have any rules on hairstyle. Also the distinction between a priest and a knight within the Order is based solely on purpose- a priest is dedicated to healing of allies, while a knight is dedicated to destruction of enemies. There is also a small branch of the Order (such as the priest that has been sent to Shadowmere) that is dedicated to neither, but is equally trained in both purposes; they are called the inquisitors. Unlike the other two branches of the Order, inquisitors don't have ranks.

Edited by Mike S

Great! I seem to recall that the Aslanic Order has had an important presence in Barqa for a very long time and that the City Council mostly has had very good relations with the Order. Does a force of a couple of hundred knights and maybe three times as many squires and sergeants (or what else the non-knighted brothers are called?) sound like a reasonable garrison? This would be a very formidable force even against a thousand or more dismounted enemies.

They also have many followers among the general population

However, inside the walls of Barqa no armed forces other than from City Guard are allowed to be assembled with more than four soldiers, which also applies to the Aslanic Order. An exception is within in their own fortress of course or if they have approval from the Council. An example of this is the annual Parade of Aslan when the Order parades the streets showing their might and splendour (and gain a sizeable number of followers and prospective recruits :wink:).

(I can delete the last if it is not true, I just liked the idea :classic:).

Edited by Gideon

Great! I seem to recall that the Aslanic Order has had an important presence in Barqa for a very long time and that the City Council mostly has had very good relations with the Order. Does a force of a couple of hundred knights and maybe three times as many squires and sergeants (or what else the non-knighted brothers are called?) sound like a reasonable garrison? This would be a very formidable force even against a thousand or more dismounted enemies.

They also have many followers among the general population

However, inside the walls of Barqa no armed forces other than from City Guard are allowed to be assembled with more than four soldiers, which also applies to the Aslanic Order. An exception is within in their own fortress of course or if they have approval from the Council. An example of this is the annual Parade of Aslan when the Order parades the streets showing their might and splendour (and gain a sizeable number of followers and prospective recruits :wink:).

(I can delete the last if it is not true, I just liked the idea :classic:).

That sounds about right. However all non-knighted warriors are called Initiates and are sent to Aden's Gate to train for Knighthood. So there would probably be around three hundred knights, probably half that many priests, and the remainder would be attendants that are responsible for keeping the fortress in running order such as assisting Knights with their armor, caring for the livestock, assisting Priests with gathering and mixing of herbs, preparing meals, cleaning, and etc.

The Aslanic Order has been around for hundreds of years, however until recently its followers had declined quite drastically. The purpose of the Order and its teachings have varied throughout the ages, depending on the beliefs and ambitions of its leaders. Even now there are differences in interpretation within the Order of various passages of the Holy Words of Aslan. Also there are many misunderstandings about the Order as well. For example, while most Historicans believe that Bishop Jamon is the leader of the Order, he is only the Grand Bishop of the Priests branch. Also as he holds considerable influence over Lord Mikel (Masa) who is Knight Commander of the Knights branch, Bishop Jamon does have considerable influence over that branch as well. But unknown to most, Bishop Jamon is under the authority of the head of the Inquisitors branch.

Feel free to make up your own characters for the Order in Barqa. There is also a Bishop in Barqa as the number of priests is large enough to necessitate an overseer. I haven't gotten around to creating that character yet so perhaps you would like to? Just to clarify, Bishop is the highest rank within Priests with Grand Bishop being the highest.

That sounds about right. However all non-knighted warriors are called Initiates and are sent to Aden's Gate to train for Knighthood. So there would probably be around three hundred knights, probably half that many priests, and the remainder would be attendants that are responsible for keeping the fortress in running order such as assisting Knights with their armor, caring for the livestock, assisting Priests with gathering and mixing of herbs, preparing meals, cleaning, and etc.

So there are no non-knighted brothers/soldiers of the armed branch (unlike historical crusader orders), are all recruits able to be knighted regardless of birth?

Feel free to make up your own characters for the Order in Barqa. There is also a Bishop in Barqa as the number of priests is large enough to necessitate an overseer. I haven't gotten around to creating that character yet so perhaps you would like to? Just to clarify, Bishop is the highest rank within Priests with Grand Bishop being the highest.

Sir Gideon knows Bishop Sheyer (persian word for lion) very well, as he represents the Aslanic Order in the Barqa City Council.

I added a grey and a dark red 64797 to a BL order a while ago, wouldn't that headgear be very suitable as the Mitre of a bishop? :classic:

What is the rank of the commander of their military branch in the garrison called btw? He is also a member of the City Council.

The head of the Inquisitors is however not a member of the City Council.

(This reminds me that I really should build the City Council some time :classic:)

I had planned on building a temple in Barqa but since the scale of temple in such a large city should be comparatively large, I kind of gave up on it. However, though it is not represented in brick form, I would like to say that there is a large temple there as wells a small fortress that houses a small standing army of Aslanic Knights.

Isn't there also a number of smaller temples in various districts of the city where the Order has followers? (If you don't have bricks/time to build the main temple and want to build something similar to these temples)

So there are no non-knighted brothers/soldiers of the armed branch (unlike historical crusader orders), are all recruits able to be knighted regardless of birth?

As the Order no longer has enough land at its disposal to give away, the title of Knight of the Order now holds little significance outside of the order. Upon gaining the position of Knight Commander of the Order, he realized that many of the recruits from noble families were no more fit for the knighthood than many of the peasant classes. Thereafter he changed the rules, making Knighthood based on skill rather than class.

He also dismissed all the other soldiers who were paid by the order who did not attain Knighthood, decreasing the expenditure of the Knights branch. Since the change, the title of Knight of the Order is now once more gaining significance outside the Order as the Knights are becoming renowned for their skill. The only non-knighted military force that remains are archers who work for the Inquisition and often are only mercenaries.

Sir Gideon knows Bishop Sheyer (persian word for lion) very well, as he represents the Aslanic Order in the Barqa City Council.

I added a grey and a dark red 64797 to a BL order a while ago, wouldn't that headgear be very suitable as the Mitre of a bishop? :classic:

What is the rank of the commander of their military branch in the garrison called btw? He is also a member of the City Council.

The head of the Inquisitors is however not a member of the City Council.

(This reminds me that I really should build the City Council some time :classic:)

Lots of "Lions" within the order... :wink: Nice name btw. Yes I have thought about that piece and actually have it in grey but have been using a modified chef hat for a Mitre of the bishop that will be in Mpya Stedor. As their are no dress regulations really and lots of cultural diversity within the Order, perhaps Bishop Sheyer prefers the 64797 headwear.

The rank of the Commander of the Knights branch in Barqa is First Knight and like the bishop, I'm assuming you will be creating him as well?

Also like you said, the Inquisitor branch would not be represented on the council. Outside of the Order, few even know they exist and inside the Order, few know what their activities are and it is rare for any Inquisitor to be seen. (At least not recognized as an Inquisitor when they are seen)

Isn't there also a number of smaller temples in various districts of the city where the Order has followers? (If you don't have bricks/time to build the main temple and want to build something similar to these temples)

I hadn't really thought about this as I thought that everyone in the city would go to the main temple and the priests would come and go from the temple to the various districts of the city as well. I guess it all depends on the size of Barqa. What did you have in mind for Barqa's size? How long would it take a person to walk from one end of the city to the other?

Sounds like we are ironing out a vital part of Barqan life here! I will try to create the minifigs for His Excellency Bishop Sheyer and the His Excellency First Knight Bahadur (means "warrior"), and maybe some other members of the City Council in the future. I'm also happy that I might get some use for my Kingdoms lions knight parts for regular knights of Aslan :classic:

I have thought of Barqa as something similar to Byzantine Constantinople or somewhat smaller. This means that the city would be at least 3-4 km to walk across, maybe more, translating to at minimum 30 min or up to an hour to get from one end of the city to the other (especially if there are a lot of people on the move). If the Aslanic faith is a major faith among the people of Barqa I would assume that most of the regular people would attend services at local temples/shrines and that at only very important occasions they would go to the main temple. Compare to a larger medieval city which typically had dozens of churches in addition to the main cathedral. In many cases the cathedral was not regularly visited by the regular people, even the people living close to the cathedral might instead normally attend the services in a smaller parish church very close to the cathedral except for very important occasions in the cathedral.

If the Order has smaller temples closer to the people, that also means that each priest may have better possibilities at getting to know his local followers.