Sign in to follow this  
Trunkbass

[Petition] Save LEGO the Lord of the Rings

Got some personal issues, won't be able to try the 9gag post until tomorrow night, maybe someone will do it by then!

Well it seems like my PC gave its last breath on friday, thought it was something I could fix but it turns out that it can't. I'll have to replace it asap, but it might be a while before I can do that 9gag stuff... Anyone else up for it? The sooner the better..

Well it seems like my PC gave its last breath on friday, thought it was something I could fix but it turns out that it can't. I'll have to replace it asap, but it might be a while before I can do that 9gag stuff... Anyone else up for it? The sooner the better..

You mean the "memes"?

I'm alright at Gimp, I'll try it. Not sure if it will be the best quality though...

EDIT: Would something like this do?

https://i.imgflip.com/c404b.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/w9d66h/8

Edited by Anexcuse

Dude... there's been another 70 signatures in a day, lol. It's still moving along. Repost, share... get your friends to sign it.

Unfortunately the momentum is dropping fast and its limping on with about 10 signatures a day. It could really do with more exposure right about now. :sceptic:

Unfortunately the momentum is dropping fast and its limping on with about 10 signatures a day. It could really do with more exposure right about now. :sceptic:

Agreed. I can only post it so much. I'll hit up Elessar over at TORN to see if they can post it.

Guys ... lets keep at this! Re-post, invite anyone you think likes Lord of the Rings in general to sign! Go to other forums, post there. Post it anywhere you think will get us more support. Almost 1200 supporters... Still positive momentum, but it has slowed. We need more help!

WE CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN, BUT WE NEED TO KEEP AT IT AND WORK TOGETHER!!!

I think everyone needs to go support LOTR Lego Ideas projects such as This Minas Tirith: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/36275 We stand a better chance at getting sets that way than through this petition. We should be promoting LOTR Lego Ideas projects rather than getting this petition signed.

No we shouldn't. Lego has yet to give us a huge $200+ Cuusoo/Idea set, they tend to stick around the $30-50 price range. They also don't do new molds for Ideas projects. And even If we got one of those Idea projects to 10,000 votes there is no guarantee it will be made into a set. Considering Lego already has the LotR/Hobbit building license I think the chances of them making a set from an Ideas project is that much less likely.

On top of all of those things listed above it seems people are really split on liking/disliking a lot of the Ideas projects and won't vote for them if they aren't exactly how they imagine the set being made. If we just pool all of our votes from the Idea projects we can collect them in one place and the "what if" of future waves could inspire more people to sign the petition.

Just do both. Sad truth is: the Minas Tirith has attracted more votes than the petition. My guess: the Minas Tirith project is also supported by non-LOTR fans, while the petition is only for hardcore fans.

I posted this petition to www.merlins-beard.com , a lego community that focuses on castle building, and hosts the Lands of Roawia roleplaying game.

Just do both. Sad truth is: the Minas Tirith has attracted more votes than the petition. My guess: the Minas Tirith project is also supported by non-LOTR fans, while the petition is only for hardcore fans.

That Minas Tirith has also been up for a few years though (it had over 2,500 votes on Cuusoo before being grand fathered into Ideas with all of it's votes). The petition hasn't even been up a month. I agree though, I think supporting both is the best bet. If Lego sees a dozen Idea projects all get 10,000 votes AND a petition with 10,000+ votes they are going to be much more likely to give us another LotR wave than if they only saw one or the other.

I wonder what it took for Bionicle to be reintroduced? Were there any petitions for that theme? Otherwise, how did Lego know that there was enough demand for that theme to reinstate it? If only we knew the answer to that, then we could try to get TLG's attention in a similar fashion.

In the meantime, the petition and supporting the Minas Tirith with a high number of votes makes sense to me. I fully do not expect Lego to make any of the Minas Tirith models presented even if they hit the 10,000 vote threshold, but it would send a message that there is demand for some type of Gondor set.

"We have agreed, you will not end Lego LotR."

"No man can kill Lego LotR

Edited by Ql97

^^^ The answer for Bionicle is probably that Hero factory was dying off but lego wanted a constraction theme.... and Bionicle was pretty popular before it ended.

So what better way for lego to continue constraction than a Bionicle reboot?

Keep voting for the LOTR ideas and Lego will get the message that we want the third wave. We may have to wait for 2016 before we get it, but then we may also get a boost when the Extended Blue Ray and DVD collections are released in 2016. :)

Edited by Venunder

^^^ The answer for Bionicle is probably that Hero factory was dying off but lego wanted a constraction theme.... and Bionicle was pretty popular before it ended.

So what better way for lego to continue constraction than a Bionicle reboot?

So basically, we have to get Lego to make Game of Thrones, and when that dosn't sell well, they'll make more Middle Earth, right? :laugh:

So basically, we have to get Lego to make Game of Thrones, and when that dosn't sell well, they'll make more Middle Earth, right? :laugh:

Unfortunately, Game of Thrones Lego will sell better than LOTR lego at this point. It's far more popular right now, AND is huge with teens, geeks, and adults, all of whom would buy the hell out of any and all Lego produced. Can you imagine a GoT CMF series? It'd sell out every bag in seconds.

Especially since GoT is so good at making you care about so many characters. We only actually needs like, what, 2 dozen total characters from LOTR? The Fellowship, some variants, a few villains, and the key Gondor/Rohan big names? We lament the death of Lego LOTR so much because they were so close to completion - all we truly needed was the WK, Eowyn, and Faramir.

Look at GoT for a comparison. Even if you're a pretty big fan (not a true fanatic), you're gonna want the entire Stark family, the Lannister family, Team Dany, among many others. I mean, hell, I'd buy pretty much every single character who gets a line of dialogue.

Furthermore, GoT/ASOIAF has even more armies that the hardcore fans go bananas over than LOTR. In LOTR, we'd be fine with a few Orc variants, Uruks, Gondorians, and Rohirrim - Noldor and Numenoreans would be gravy. If you were an obsessed fan collecting GoT Legos, you're going to want contingents of Stark men, Lannister men, Kingsguard, Hill clansmen, Unsullied, Wildlings, Night's Watchmen, Ironborn, probably some of Stannis' troops... and that's just scratching the surface. I'd buy battlepacks of Frey men, Bolton men, Eyrie knights, Dornishmen, Wights, Others...

So if you want LOTR to have a chance in hell of coming back, pray Lego doesn't get the GoT license - they'd never have a reason to make anything medieval for years down the line. Especially since Classic Castle fans would like it more than LOTR because GoT is full of more traditional Castles and medieval troops.

Edited by Darth Caedus

Almost at 1300 supporters, but gaining support has slowed greatly. I guess the word of mouth & getting close friends to sign is just about at an end. What to do to raise more awareness & gain more support?

I know a lot of guys here have washed their hands of this, but it's still really important to me and a few others. I hope Elessar over at http://www.theonering.net will finally get the petition posted over there.

We need to keep at it, repost!!!

Unfortunately, Game of Thrones Lego will sell better than LOTR lego at this point. It's far more popular right now, AND is huge with teens, geeks, and adults, all of whom would buy the hell out of any and all Lego produced. Can you imagine a GoT CMF series? It'd sell out every bag in seconds...

Just throwing my two cents on this subject; as a big fan of GoT, it'll never, ever, ever be a Lego theme! :laugh:

Game of Thrones is way, way, way too adult themed for Lego. I don't doubt that it would sell well, but the main problem is just the simple fact that Lego would not touch it with a 1000 stud pole. Granted, I think it would make a great theme based on the characters and locations; but oh well, we'll just have to stick with custom mocs (Which are surprisingly rare in the building community).

----

Not to beat a dead horse, but (being a negative-nancy) on this actual topic, I feel this petition has an equal chance of success as GoT becoming a theme. As sad as it is to say, Lego Middle Earth is done fore after the final Hobbit movie; it's clear Lego has no intention of expanding the line afterword. And the petition itself does not have the steam required to get anywhere near 10,000 votes; I feel like it would be more productive to get the votes on a Lego Ideas submission, since it'll actually be noticed by Lego (Granted even the famous Minas Tirith build took well over a year to finally get half the required votes). Even if the petition has any effect, the production schedule of Lego sets means it would be months after that we'd get a set, and by then all Hobbit steam will be over. It's the end of days in Middle Earth! Accept it people!

Furthermore, GoT/ASOIAF has even more armies that the hardcore fans go bananas over than LOTR. In LOTR, we'd be fine with a few Orc variants, Uruks, Gondorians, and Rohirrim - Noldor and Numenoreans would be gravy. If you were an obsessed fan collecting GoT Legos, you're going to want contingents of Stark men, Lannister men, Kingsguard, Hill clansmen, Unsullied, Wildlings, Night's Watchmen, Ironborn, probably some of Stannis' troops... and that's just scratching the surface. I'd buy battlepacks of Frey men, Bolton men, Eyrie knights, Dornishmen, Wights, Others...

I agree with pretty much everything you said except this part. You listed all the big LotR factions, but there are plenty more minor Middle-Earth ones. If you want to REALLY break it down we could have gotten Gondor Soldiers, White Tree Guards, Rohirrim, Morannon Orcs, Uruk-hai, Black Uruks, Snaga, Morgul Orcs, Gundabad Orcs, Moria Goblins, Ithilien Rangers, Rangers of the North (never actually seen in film though..?), Cave Trolls, Mountain Trolls, Fel Beast, Easterling, Haradrim, Numenoreans, Noldor, Lothlorien Elves, Rivendell Elves, Eagles, Wargs, Mirkwood Elf Scouts, Mirkwood Elf soldiers (armored), Iron Hill Dwarves, Erebor Dwarves, Ents, Wildmen, Undead, Corsairs, etc. I am sure I am still missing plenty but that alone is over 30 different factions, all of which are fairly distinct from one another.

At the moment I don't see Frey men being any more important than say Wildmen (could change), or one of the lesser factions in LotR/Hobbit. Plus many of the Middle-Earth factions aren't even the same race so that helps better distinguish them. In GoT most of the armies would be human and some, such as from the north, would have little difference from one another besides maybe a crest flag or crest on their clothing. In all the battle scenes we saw, the entire Northern army looked pretty much identical despite being made up of several different houses. Don't get me wrong, I definetly agree there are more characters and there are TONS of houses in GoT, I am just not sure most would really warrant soldiers from Lego. With so many characters to cover it seems most toy companies don't even bother giving you any GoT soldiers.

Edited by Deathleech