TPLSTER21

Lego Ultra Agents 2015

After building the boat last night I'm a little disappointed at how small the Oil Rig is and how little you get, compared to the boat which is just $20.00 dollars more, but is quight a bit bigger and has a lot more to it. The jets nice and Dr.Brainstein is a good additon to the villains, over all its a good wave but I wish TLG had added more to the Oil Rig.

19087338219_80c5ed30e2_z.jpg18651282424_0e75197340_z.jpg

I treated myself to the Ultracopter vs. Antimatter set recently, and completed the build today.

Wow, what an amazing build in the rotors! I knew Lego could pull off some unique feats with gears, but I wasn't sure that the rotors on the chopper actually rotated in different directions due to a clever arrangement of gearing and a knob on the bottom of the chopper.

The rest of the set is very nice, lots of play features including a very nice sliding mechanism in the tail that pushes the side engines and launchers out a bit. The zip line gimmick is also very nice, though I think it was used a little better in the Super Secret Police dropship set.

Antimatter is a great minifigure, and his little flying disk, though sparse, is unique and classy. His staff weapon is very nice as well, and incorporates several of the 'mcguffin' items from the other sets, like the purple gem piece and a clear green circuit board 1x1 tile.

One weird thing about the chopper build is that there is no floor in the main cabin, and the instructions don't really address why that is. I assume it's so that the one agent in the helmet can zipline down directly through the bottom of the cabin, but there are doors on either side. I added a couple of pieces to make a floor and now there is room for a couple of agents, I included the one that comes with the Drillext set as well.

There are a few pieces that are a bit spindly, but nothing comes off, and it's nicely swooshable. The rotor action is the thing that makes this set really worth it.

Tim

"toy geek"

I keep waiting for the 3 final sets to show up at Wal-Marts in the midwest so I can offload some of these giftcards I have stacked up, but so far, no dice.

I keep waiting for the 3 final sets to show up at Wal-Marts in the midwest so I can offload some of these giftcards I have stacked up, but so far, no dice.

I overheard something about Lego already clearing these sets out of Lego stores to make room for the August 2015 stuff. Local store says they will no longer be getting the Ocean HQ in future shipments... ho-hum :cry_sad:

Really hope they show up in the UK as I want that robo shark.

I overheard something about Lego already clearing these sets out of Lego stores to make room for the August 2015 stuff. Local store says they will no longer be getting the Ocean HQ in future shipments... ho-hum :cry_sad:

Wellllllll, huh! That changes things a bit. Guess I'll pop on over to *SHUDDER* Shop at Home.

I picked up the Ultracopter vs Antimatter set at Target on clearance for $48.00. It looked like they are clearing out all the Ultra agents sets. I still need the Ocean HQ set. Maybe I should look into getting it sooner rather than later.

Edited by Sirtank

R.I.P. Ocean HQ. We hardly knew ye. :cry3:

This is a bunch of bull-

It hasn't been released for a month, and suddenly it's (technically) retired.

It's no longer in any other retailer's websites.

And looking at those reseller prices, I'm never going to finish my collection!!

It's time to bring out the pitchforks, agents.

This lovely theme is coming a harsh, brutal, and abrupt end. :cry_sad:

You guys get it at all. :sceptic:

It won't be long and it will be time to drop this thread from pinned to make space for 2016 news :cry_sad:

I'll barely use this account without Ultra Agents. :sad:

Maybe one post when we get news for the Dr Who set...

Bye Ultra Agents, best theme since Power Miners!

R.I.P. Ocean HQ. We hardly knew ye. :cry3:

It hasn't been released for a month, and suddenly it's (technically) retired.

This kind of sums up my one problem with Ultra Agents, it doesn't feel like Lego is giving the theme a chance. It's being cleared out of Lego stores, and is given little or no space in their catalogs. Such a shame that this great line is going to end like this. :sad:

The more I look at this, the more I think the UK will not even get to see these even though they were at London Toy Fair. And today, I got excited to see listings for the robo-shark on BL, and got my hopes up, only to be absolutely devastated to see that the price of the robo-shark on BL has suddenly shot up from £2.75 to £12.50. Man, life, you can be so cruel :cry_sad:(yes, I did just make reference to a song by Royal Blood there...)

If there is even the vaguest hope left for us, I did notice some UK sellers on eBay selling the UA sets though, but the Ultrasonic Showdown was £25 and the Portal Hideout £68. Didn't check the Ocean HQ as I'm not so interested in it. Is it worth spending >£90 on these two sets? Or would it be cheaper to import them, even with shipping, and customs charging £8 + 20% of the value (unless I use eBay which can cut out the £8 part with their shipping programme)? Ho hum.

I am sad to see such great sets not being given the chance they deserve though :sad:

Both of my local Toys R us stores still have all the new sets. I hope they still have Ocean HQ when I get paid next.

A reputable Australian Lego blog, Bricking Around, recently reported that an email query to Lego received the following response "Due to a strategic decision currently no new LEGO Ultra Agents sets are planned to be released in the European market (which includes AU)." It's a shame that we will never see Ocean HQ released here.

Can these sets be shipped to the UK, through the American Amazon site?

You can. You might have to go through a separate, more expensive method. Keep in mind though that the Ocean HQ is no longer available, so there's that... :cry_sad:

I hope they stick around for a while here in the states. I don't know when the next time'll be when I get the chance to pick 'em up.

Seriously. This was a great theme. I expected it to end, but not like this. I wonder what happened...?

Seriously. This was a great theme. I expected it to end, but not like this. I wonder what happened...?

From what I've heard, poor sales outside of the US, and mediocre ones here. The only reason it got another year was because of the theme's goal of being a way to test app integration with LEGO sets or something.

From what I've heard, poor sales outside of the US, and mediocre ones here. The only reason it got another year was because of the theme's goal of being a way to test app integration with LEGO sets or something.

Thanks for the inside information just2good. Based on the conversation in this forum over the past couple of days, I figured this was exactly the case. That being, the theme got one more wave because of the app brick integration experiment and the sunk costs to Lego associated with it and the theme.

Assuming that Lego considers the app brick integration a success, I imagine we will see it brought to other themes in the future. But I do have an observation about UA and non-licensed action themes in general. UA looked to be a successful theme with a good concept (Secret Agents with high Tech equipment), and a multimedia tie in combined with great sets. But, I can't help but wonder if it ultimately was a victim of Ninjago's success. Any future action theme will have to deal with the fact the Ninjago is first and foremost in the minds of kids and parents looking for those kinds of sets (taking SW and Superheroes out of the equation for a moment). And between Ninjago and those other themes, I think Lego will have a hard time cultivating another "hit" non-licensed boy-focused theme. I guess they will just keep on trying as I'm sure they would want to have another super successful non-licensed action line to run side by side with Ninjago. I enjoyed UA and hopefully will be able to get at least Ultrasonic Showdown. And I'm excited to see what Lego plans to do next in this area!

I think this is very sad news. I love this theme, and I might not be able to complete it.

Ninjago almost certainly has some precedence in kids' minds, and I think puoling UA before the ghost wave is almost merciful, since almost nobody would prefer the old UA sets to the cool new Ninjago ones.

And I really liked this theme because it wasn't franchised out. Perhaps it should have been for greater longevity.

Edited by 8BrickMario

I read very sad news here indeed.

I realize if the sales were poor (which is another proof how strange market can be, because they were great sets) they decided to discontinue the theme but they already manufactured those sets so why don't release them and "clear their warehouses"?

I hope one day those set will reach EU market as well. I does not hurt to hope a little bit :classic:

But I do have an observation about UA and non-licensed action themes in general. UA looked to be a successful theme with a good concept (Secret Agents with high Tech equipment), and a multimedia tie in combined with great sets. But, I can't help but wonder if it ultimately was a victim of Ninjago's success.

The recent Ninjago sets are indeed amazing and they took a good part of many Lego fans' budget for sure. It has been said Ninjago is mostly a theme for kids but they have such a versatility to prove extremely useful to AFOLs too.

They give material for Fantasy, Sci-Fi and much more projects even with little modifications or no modification at all.

The dragons are perfect in a Fantasy setting and, for example, the Ronin Gunship is a nice "Sci-Fi" vehicle clearly inspired by Star Wars. There was a very similar Bounty Hunter in the Clone Wars series and the set even has a part printed with letters from the Star Wars basic alphabet :classic:

Long story short, I do think Ninjago's success took a good part of fans' hobby budgets with obvious effects on the "less famous" themes :classic: