TPLSTER21

Lego Ultra Agents 2015

You're implying that all of those crossovers and cameos are canonically linked to one another, when we've seen no indication that that's the case. Interpreting crossovers and cameos as absolute canon is the same illogical train of thought that leads to things like the Tommy Westphall Universe Hypothesis.

Someone was speculating on whether or not something, "in-universe," might have "inspired" SPIII, "in-universe".

In response, I provided a rejoinder based on the canon of crossover's I have created through many hours of linking themes. My suggestion of themes together creating a greater canon over time may be hypothesed, but that does not necessarily discount it. It's a hypothesis - a theory, one that is neither true nor untrue.

Also, with the rise of references, nods, and shoutouts in themes such as SPIII, (and let us not discount the hundreds in the CMF series!) the possibility of all the themes existing in a shared universe or more likely, universes, has actually been severely indicated, to the extent that it's pretty much been everything but stated. The real question, is how many universes exist, and which themes exist in which. And then, with themes like UFO which involve other universes by nature...Let's just say, the number of potential universes is fairly large.

The fact that Clutch Powers exists in the Ninjago TV show's universe does not mean that it and the universe of the Clutch Powers movie share a universe or continuity. Same goes for the appearance of Ultra Agents characters in that show. The argument for one "canon" LEGO universe that contains all themes is about as weak as the satirical "Grand Unification Theory of Television" that Dwayne McDuffie proposed in 2002. Sometimes when characters from one story are written into another story it's just meant as an inside reference, not a sign that those two stories take place in the same universe.

I am not at all arguing for a universe that contains all themes. Themes like Bionicle, by their own canon, exist in their own universe. See my thoughts above on universes.

The question was whether or not, in a universe that contains SPIII and UA, would UA have inspired SPIII or not. If Ninjago, and Clutch Powers are considered to not exist in that universe, I would not have a response to the question. But, because they have both crossed over directly enough to exist together in at least one possible universe, I responded based on that universe, and that universe only

I took the question, and drawing out what I considered to be reasonable threads of speculation, gave my own opinion as to the answer. You are free to draw a different answer.

Frankly, there is pretty strong evidence that Ninjago does NOT exist in the same evidence as The Adventures of Clutch Powers, namely that nobody in Ninjago ever refers to death as the extinguishing of one's creation spark.
That's actually not strong evidence. Now, I'll be the first to admit we're getting into dangerous terrain here, but Ninjago could very well have extremely different views on death.

Even here on Earth, there are many different ideas as to what "death is". Some people think it means that your consciousness will be extinguished. Some believe we are re-incarnated. Some believe we have souls, and that we will go to either a heaven or a hell. Etc., etc. The point is, different cultures have different concepts of death, and what it means.

Now, you will notice that Clutch, an Earthling, has the same views on "death" as an Ashlarite, a person from a different planet. But look at their cultures. They are both highly similar to Western culture, and share many of the same themes. Ninjago, however, is highly Eastern in culture, a radically different place to the west. It would make sense for Ninjagoans to have different ideas, or at least words, for death. Do not read me wrong, I am not saying that they are identical to real-world Eastern/Western culture - I am merely saying that it makes sense for a Western-like world and an Eastern-like world to have different words of expression for one thing.

That does not discount the possibility that Clutch might at some point gain the skills to hop between universes,
You're going way out into, at best, fanon-field here - I never suggested anything as radical as that. I merely commented on shared cameos.
but it does diminish the likelihood that Ninjago is just another planet in the Clutch Powers–verse.

See above.

And even if they were a shared universe, the possibility of time travel could not be discounted either — meaning that references to Clutch (whose story before and after the events of the movie are not well known) are not useful for timeline placement.
This is a good point - but in a proper application of Occam's razor, we have at no point seen any suggestion of the Clutch Powers time-line being changed or influenced by time travel, and until we do seen an indication of this, it is simpler to assume that there hasn't been any.

How has Ultra Agents derailed into Clutch Powers so many times? CP is not canon, as there is no official canon that stretches across the themes. LEGO has probably forgotten about CP anyway, since it was a direct-to-video movie that not many people knew about as a result. Cameos don't mean anything, and usually, LEGO's attempts to connect themes are really stupid (see the Club Magazines desperately trying to imply that every action theme is related).

Im not convinced by the conclusions of the Grand Unification theory or Tommy Westphall. I havent watched a single episode of St Elsewhere (except for the ending clip on Youtube, for this very reason), but the fact that a kid dreams/imagines about the *last* episode doesnt imply doesnt imply that all episodes (or any, apart from the last one) are part of his dream, that St Elsewhere doesnt exist (hey, the kid might have extra-sensory perception), nor that St Elsewhere coundnt have snowglobes of it manufactured. Hell, its not even explicitly stated that ST elsewhere was a dream - the ending just segues into the snowglobe scene with only an implict idea.

TLDR: All crossover speculation is valid! Crossover speculators and overthinkers, rejoice!

Not sure how to make this post more on topic, but Ill try: do we know how Dr Brainstein became "Dr brain-jar"?

EDIT: Lyichirs link a few posts back actually contains more rebuttals to the Tommy Westphall hypothesis. Nice to know Im not alone...

EDIT 2: poster corrected

Edited by Ardelon

He was probably thrown into one of Antimatter's Portals.

I assure you, I have no idea. But when my notifier told me there were 11 new replies to this thread since the last time I read it, I got a little excited, because usually it's 2.

Can you take the grand universal theory off to somewhere else? I know it is interesting but it has very very little to do with Ultra Agents sets...

Does anyone know the UK price of the Ocean HQ?

LEGO Ultra Agents

Ultrasonic Showdown (70171) – £17.99

AntiMatter’s Portal Hideout (70172) – £49.99

Ultra Agents Ocean HQ (70173) – £79.99

Can't wait for the official names for the Stingray-like villain in AntiMatter's base and a lightning-themed villain in Ocean HQ set.

Plus an evil Professor Brainstein in the Ultrasonic Showdown is not just Brainstein alone. He supposed to have a different name for the villain.

Ah. Good. It's the same price as the original HQ, with more pieces, minifigures and functions.

Yeah, that set is really awesome and pretty much why I have several Ultra Agent sets now. (Also 30-50% off helps too.) :grin:

I built Hurricane Heist and that thing is huge! I'm amazed by how well it because of it's size. I wish the little bike was it's own set because I'd buy several.

Now I just need to wait until the new sets go on sale. :sweet:

Since it was on sale for $25-ish at Target, I got the Drillex set.

Not too bad. I know some people criticize the design, but I think it works. It has a very angular, almost Tumbler-esque aesthetic going on, and I just love it. My only complaint is that I really don't like the drill. I feel it (and the whole front end) just sticks a bit too far out from the core of the vehicle. I would have preferred if it was a shorter, yet bulky vehicle. That being said, the function is quite nice. I always love to see what Lego can pull off with gears.

I'm curious as to what fits in the middle of the Ultrasonic Showdown. It's hallow in the center. It would be cool if the App Brick Drone could fit in there, but it seems to large to fit.

I'm curious as to what fits in the middle of the Ultrasonic Showdown. It's hallow in the center. It would be cool if the App Brick Drone could fit in there, but it seems to large to fit.

I raised the same question a couple of pages back. It appears that the drone does in fact fit in the space behind the cockpit in the body of the jet. The hollow space is quite large and there is technically no reason for it to be designed that way other than to house the drone. The summer sets look awesome and Ultrasonic Showdown looks like one of the better $20ish sets that I have ever seen!

The high quality pictures of these sets look awesome! I'll probably have to get antimatters hideout. Right now I am trying to figure out a way of extending it. Maybe the platform could only be the entrance to an underwater hq connected by an elevator...

Edited by marv

Can you take the grand universal theory off to somewhere else? I know it is interesting but it has very very little to do with Ultra Agents sets...

I agree. Except for the fact it's not very interesting at all either.

I agree. Except for the fact it's not very interesting at all either.

And I second that.

Anyway, I got the May/June Lego Club Magazine earlier yesterday, and Antimatter's Hideout was greatly featured in the limited space Ultra Agents had. It appears that it is a June release.

Snip

Maybe we can figure out the names of the new Villains now.

70171 looks like it's still "Prof. Brainstein"

The one of 70172 might be "Jaws".

No idea about the 70173 one.

Edited by Peppermint_M
No picture quotes, please.

No idea about the 70173 one.

Maybe it is possible to be a transformed villain of the rock star-like minifigure, not Invizable's normal form.

I looked back through my posting history, and it was May 13th last year that I found the summer wave at my local TRU and everyone else found them shortly thereafter, so prepare your wallets, everyone.

I got the info from my local toystore, that the three "Summer 2015" sets won't ne released in Germany and the Rest of Europe: cancelled because of missing sales.

Greetings. Hendrik