Godtshep

ALS/Macmillan Ice Bucket Challenge

So I'm sure we are all aware of the ongoing 'ice bucket' challenge.

I have noticed many people have been nominating others from the Lego fan community to do this challenge, so I was wandering: how should we nominate Eurobricks users?

Should we PM other users or have a topic?

Good idea - will help us do our bit towards this worthy cause.

Hey, did you hear about how Corey Griffin, one of the founders of this ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, passed away last week? He was just 27 years old! Had an accident whilst on a diving trip in Massachusetts.

Anyone else think this Ice Bucket challenge is manipulative? I mean it's based entirely on peer pressure.

Get challenged and you're manipulated into either donating $100 or dumping ice on your head. The donation isn't a bad thing at all but the fashion that it is gathered... it's just jerky.

Refuse the peer pressure and you get people thinking you're a jerk yourself. Maybe some of us aren't into these things and just don't want to pour icey water pointlessly on our bodies? Or we donate to other causes already. Or the fact that it's just insulting that it's so manipulative so you don't want to do it. But then it's a no win scenario because people will notice you don't do it and judge you for it.

Either throw ice on your face, donate $100 or have everyone hate you for not falling for their peer pressure. It's freakin' terrible in my eyes. Manipulative... The cause is just but geeze...

Edited by BrickG

I'm kind of with you on this. I feel like it's very "look at me, look at me". Just donate. I don't post every worthwhile thing I do on FB. I'm not saying don't post about donating but half the people on my timeline don't even mention about what it's for let alone donate to it. And the waste of water is another thing....Water Aid must be losing their nut!!

I was challenged and ignored it. I've donated to charity and causes that I support for over the past 15 years. I think it's cool that awareness is being raised but dumping ice water on your head is the easy way out. If you want to support, donate money.

I'm kind of with you on this. I feel like it's very "look at me, look at me". Just donate. I don't post every worthwhile thing I do on FB. I'm not saying don't post about donating but half the people on my timeline don't even mention about what it's for let alone donate to it. And the waste of water is another thing....Water Aid must be losing their nut!!

I agree with you two on this. But, I like what one guy said on "TMZ" as a response to this "cut down a tree to stop cancer". :laugh:

Anyone else think this Ice Bucket challenge is manipulative? I mean it's based entirely on peer pressure.

Get challenged and you're manipulated into either donating $100 or dumping ice on your head. The donation isn't a bad thing at all but the fashion that it is gathered... it's just jerky.

Refuse the peer pressure and you get people thinking you're a jerk yourself. Maybe some of us aren't into these things and just don't want to pour icey water pointlessly on our bodies? Or we donate to other causes already. Or the fact that it's just insulting that it's so manipulative so you don't want to do it. But then it's a no win scenario because people will notice you don't do it and judge you for it.

Either throw ice on your face, donate $100 or have everyone hate you for not falling for their peer pressure. It's freakin' terrible in my eyes. Manipulative... The cause is just but geeze...

I was challenged and ignored it. I've donated to charity and causes that I support for over the past 15 years. I think it's cool that awareness is being raised but dumping ice water on your head is the easy way out. If you want to support, donate money.

You tree have all said excactly what I think of this.

Edited by TheLazyChicken

Well, hate it you get wrath for it.

But heres the offical rules,

You get nominated YOU HAVE TO DONATE, not donate if you want to or not at all, but that rule never get passed on

And yes it is peer pressure, and a horrible way to abuse the public to get money.

To let all you guys know, I have refused Godtshep's nomination. And I did not donate, crucify me! :wacko::hmpf_bad:

This whole craze just winds me up, and I do not want to be a part of it.

To let all you guys know, I have refused Godtshep's nomination. And I did not donate, crucify me! :wacko::hmpf_bad:

That's fine. I understand why you may not want to take part.

And, no, we won't crucify you!

You Sir, deserve a :thumbup:

:classic:

Well, I didn't really want to do this, mainly because of the reasons stated in this thread, but I don't want to be a jerk either, and it is for a good cause, so...

15061953896_fed1f6940c_z.jpg

ALS Mr. Freeze Bucket Challenge by Oky - Space Ranger, on Flickr

If I have to nominate someone, I guess I challenge just2good, ACPin, and Masked Builder. I wont be mad, though, if they don't do it since I think this campaign has had enough publicity at this point.

Well, I didn't really want to do this, mainly because of the reasons stated in this thread, but I don't want to be a jerk either, and it is for a good cause, so...

If I have to nominate someone, I guess I challenge just2good, ACPin, and Masked Builder. I wont be mad, though, if they don't do it since I think this campaign has had enough publicity at this point.

That is so awesome! Thank you for the nomination! I've actually been working on a stop motion for this challenge, but the production is hard... we'll have to see if I'm ever able to put it out! :grin:

No worries, I donated a week or two ago. :classic:

That is so awesome! Thank you for the nomination! I've actually been working on a stop motion for this challenge, but the production is hard... we'll have to see if I'm ever able to put it out! :grin:

No worries, I donated a week or two ago. :classic:

Thanks! I hope you can get off your lazy butt and finish it. :sweet:

Oky that is just awesome! If anyone ever challenges you, this is a awesome response.

Thanks. I did get challenged (see the video I quoted) hence why I made it. :wink:

Yes. I thought that "challenge" meant "dare" or "you're allowed to not do this but everyone's gonna laugh at you".

Edited by BrickSponge2015