Sign in to follow this  
v6TransAM

Modifying track geometry and homemade 90 deg crossing

This is what happens when Dad and the four year old have too much free time when Mom is out :laugh:

Did the switch mod to make the curve the equivalent of two curves, so much better this way.

Also made a 90 deg. crossing from flex track, although it took a little more modifying than what I was hoping for, had to hit the hobby shop and pick up some styrene strips to make it 100% functional. Will have to work on polishing it up and find something a little finer to cut it with.

10494556_911209958893168_7473401646644435331_n.jpg?oh=761909f3648452efce5df7cf7ffecaf2&oe=546472F7&__gda__=1416259115_499eb4bb7aa65bbf4668ed4e5770905a

This was the screwing around test fit after I got it all together permanently and fully functional

10557237_911209988893165_582641868630568047_n.jpg

Close up of modified switch, this makes things sooooooooooooo much easier when slapping some track together. I cut up Enlighten track to make the 1/2 curve sections. The switch being equal to 2 curves should have came from Lego to begin with.

10622862_911210028893161_4845310728796383896_n.jpg

Shot of the modified switch and the 90 deg. Hated to add the styrene strips in, but I had to for functionality because the gap was just large enough to catch the wheels in long ways. More careful trimming might have helped, more time, not having a four year old over your shoulder and so on and so forth :wink: My rule is if he wants something made, he does it with me or not at all.

10632641_911210062226491_8953493010285825178_n.jpg

Held it together on a base plate using long single plates to elevate it a notch while I worked. Used Krazy Glue(Kragle) on the top side to hold it together initially. Slicing the top off the flex track for the center sections was basically a pain, so I have a couple ideas for future projects.

As you can see I did have to add in the styrene strips to make it all work. It does indeed work great and causes no issues while running trains over it or the switches. My son is absolutely enthralled by it, so all in all it is a success, learned some lessons along the way to apply to the next batch I make.

Overall, I know some people are abhorred by cutting, but this makes your life so much easier by not fighting obscene track geometry. I mean you can actually make an end loop using a switch and swinging a circle back to it. If you are on the fence about it, just make yourself one set and try it out, you will not be disappointed.

Hi,

thanks for sharing your work results. I am going to make a large 9V layout and will need to do many "adjustments" to the original track. So, it's nice to read about your experiences with it. I have no problem with cutting and modding LEGO tracks, when it is required to allow building somewhat "realistic" track layouts.

And for the kids, it is good to see how to analyse and solve problems.

Thanks

Christian

I like the change to the points. Quedtion is, am I willing to do that to my 9v ones?

I say do it. You very well may cringe as you are cutting, but as soon as you put a basic loop together with much improved geometry you will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.

I always recommend to make sure to measure twice and cut once lol

It is not a hard project, just do yourself the favor and stop by a hobby store or the like and get yourself a razor saw so u get a much finer/thinner cut than the hacksaw I used(literally).

Good razor saw, utility knife with sharp blades and a pair of wire cutters is about all you need along with some nefarious Kragle if building a 90 degree crossing out of flex track.

As a side note, folks have made the 90 deg. crossing from flex track without having to add in the styrene strips...... Mine just did not come out that way, I will try again and see where to improve.

Nice, with acetone I would cut wide by very little and let the parts melt together. But I have yet to dovthe switch mod (but by now I can't rememer what they cost me..)

how is the quality of the brown Hong Kong track?

Curve and straights are good to go. I was told from multiple sources to avoid the switches due to point issues and no spring in them for return like the Lego ones.

It is supposedly no longer made and last time I was looking for some, very few sources and it was getting expensive.

The switch mod is awesome once you get over cutting.

Edited by v6TransAM