Redimus

Boiler Issues

I don't disagree about the splashers (in fact, I kind of wish I could have done that on my version) it's just several other considerations were more important to me/more obvious to me. By keeping the cab/tender 6 wide, it allows for a more pronounced step between the footplate and the the sides (which was pretty much the first thing I noticed in the photos), and it allows a closer profile when compared to any future 7 wide coaching stock (it's noticeably slightly narrower than BR Mk1 coaches, which are pretty much British standard loading gauge, partly because of the flat sides and possibly because of the Southern Railway's Hastings line which had a narrower loading gauge than the rest of the network). Also, as a bonus, it means it won't stand out too much compared to my existing 6 wide stock.

I intentionally picked a simpler narrower loco for my first foray into doing a 7 wide moc of an actual loco because both skills and size wise, it's a nice stepping stone between the two.

As for the boiler, even though I have ordered the majority of the bits, I may well have to steal that idea! Goddamn your tardy ideas! :P

Hmm, I don't know if this helps, but I tried a different boiler version:

15171512615_dee7c3633f_c.jpg

The front is only slightly larger, but it looks much rounder, which I think is better. Though I don't know if the boiler is too small for you.

ScotNick: Looks-wise, I love it, but the boiler is a little too small. Also, I did toy with similar (although not using whatever you used for the main part of the boiler), and got frustrated with my inability to find a way of supporting the front of the boiler, I'd be surprised if it didn't sag in real life.

As for jtlan's suggestion, here's my take on it your idea:

Qv2b2.1.png

The left side one has a slightly taller firebox and cab, the one on the right slightly lower. Ideally I'd like the rifebox to be half a plate higher but that's rather difficult to achieve.

I'll probably end up building it using my previous design, simply because the bits are ordered, but I may well rebuild at a later date so I can evaluate it in real life. Which version of the fire box do you guys prefer, and do you prefer the closer to round boiler of the slightly more accurate boiler/smokebox combo?

Edited by Redimus

The left side one has a slightly taller firebox and cab, the one on the right slightly lower. Ideally I'd like the rifebox to be half a plate higher but that's rather difficult to achieve.

Which version of the fire box do you guys prefer, and do you prefer the closer to round boiler of the slightly more accurate boiler/smokebox combo?

You should be able to raise the smoke box up 1/2 plate, at five wide there is enough room to build the transitions inside either using headlight bricks or brackets. If showing a 1/2 plate crack is a problem, you can stuff 1x2 panels in the crack to hide it. I suspect such an approach would weaken the boiler; however, you might have sufficient strength in the frame that it does not matter.

To my eye, I like the proportions of the one on the right, but I am not sufficiently familiar with the prototype to say which one looks closer to reality.

Well, I got bored of waiting for parts, so decided to throw together what I have so far (with, it has to be said, the help of a fair few rather old rather chewed utterly the wrong colour parts).

So far so good! It's looking rather spiffing all things considered, and seems to work fine running around the layout.

Qwip1.1.jpg

Qwip1.2.jpg

Qwip1.3.jpg

:grin:

That's what it looks like today, on the back lot of the train museum. After sufficient funds have been raised to rebuild her, the crew will have the engine looking better than new. (grin) Seriously though, looks good in bricks and will only get better as the parts come in.

A few more bits have landed since the photo, the tender is now structurally complete, just needs a few tiles to finish it off, and the loco isn't far off either.

While I wait for the few remaining bits, I've been designing the train it'll haul.

First, the (somewhat generic) Southern Railway owned stock:

7ww-SR-1.1.png

And then some equally generic Private Owner wagons:

7ww-PO-1.1.png

I'll probably try and design a tanker wagon too (which will be PO only), and maybe a well wagon too.

I have designed a well wagon and a tank wagon a while ago, let me know if you want the lxf.

would love one!

I think I've already got the well wagon from one of your other posts, but I need to modify it as the standard height I've (arbitrarily) set for the buffer beam (based entirely on where the buffer beam ended up on the Q class) is noticeably different to your design. Not had a real chance to see if I can modify it to fit of if I'll have to start from scratch. I may well use elements of your tank wagon design too, although whatever I do will be based on a variant of the existing wagon base I have designed.

To be honest though, the hardest part is deciding what to order bits for first, and how many I should do at a time!

Edited by Redimus

Nicked your idea for how the actual tank is formed, but otherwise made up the rest as I went along.

tankers.1.png

tankers.2.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, the loco is now complete except for the connecting rods. Photos to come as soon as the rods arrive.

Edited by Redimus

On 9/15/2014 at 11:48 PM, ScotNick said:

I have designed a well wagon and a tank wagon a while ago, let me know if you want the lxf.

14699163299_80a904bae4_c.jpg

Hello all, ScotNick, This is a very very late reply to this thread, but as I am new to custom Lego trains, been looking on and off for over 10 years, I'm looking for a little help to get myself started on the right track onto making great models. I was just wondering if I was able to get these lfx files to see how things are made, etc. Thank you very much!