Sign in to follow this  
Fake Plastic Trees

Sandcrawler Droids

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello Eurobrickers,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have seen some of the works of pure genius on display and I was hoping to tap into this vast vessel of creativity. Many of us myself included are loving the 75059 Sandcrawler. It comes with a host of droids but is missing two key droids present during the Jawa droid sale scene: 2X-7KPR and LIN-V8K. I have spent hours trying to come up with brick built versions of these two droids. It's difficult to achieve Too-ex and LIN's size relative to the other droids but this is what I came up with. I am hoping that some of the phenomenal builders here can improve on my versions; any and all criticism or suggestions are welcome! Here's a link to a picture of 2X-7KPR next to the R-1 droid. And another with LIN-V8K.

post-127061-0-19226800-1408547403_thumb.jpgpost-127061-0-33183800-1408547402_thumb.jpg

Welcome to Eurobricks Fake Plastic Trees

Very nice to have you with us.

I've just ordered the 75059 Sandcrawler. It looks a great set that along with my 7662 MTT my Grandsons will love playing with. I've just got to find the time to build it!

As for the 'missing' droids and improving on those you've built that's something best left to the plethora of very talented MOCers here who I know will be only too pleased to help you. I sadly am devoid of such talent :sweet:

I look forward to seeing what the guys here come up with.

Edited by grum64

I can't recall seeing that smaller droid in the movies, so I can't be the judge of how well it was done, but I do really like the bigger black one. I think you've just about nailed the size, and the only thing I can recommend would be to make the antenna a little taller if you can. :thumbup:

Nice supplement to the other droids!

When i buy the Sandcrawler i must also build this robots :classic: .

markus

PS: and welcome on EB, wish you much fun here!

Really nice work Fake Plastic Trees!

Good addition to this awesome set...

Now, I want to make these two droids for my Sandcrawler display ^^

Thank you for the compliments and warm welcomes! Markus, you're just the kind of guy I was hoping could come along and have some great ideas to improve these little droids. I am pretty satisfied with LIN-V8K but 2X-7KPR, particularly his middle section just needs something else. I tried using an existing astromech droid body but then that made him too tall compared to the other droids. He is supposed to be the smallest. If anyone decides to try building these I would be very curious to see the results.

on 2X, did you try this piece http://brickset.com/parts/6004990? with a printed control tile on it? still using the string element to wrap the lower section might finish the little droid off well.

Hello, Gallardo. Thanks for your input! Yes, I did try that piece, referred to on Bricklink as a 1X2 inverted bracket. The problem is that the bracket along with a printed tile sticks out too much and takes away from the cylindrical shape of the body. It ends up looking good from certain angles but only when you are facing the tiled piece. When I get home from work I'll show you what I mean. I have been wondering if there might be a way to use the minifig backpack piece (Neck bracket on BL) and place a single printed tile on top similar to how the new snowtrooper backpacks are.