Hyler Talliwell

MOC: The Monkey King

Incredible. I would like to know more about the design process, did you plan it in on the computer or on paper - and did you adjust the scale, did you make a lot of changes? Where did you start?

Thank you!

I planned it on neither, basically, I looked at many pictures of chimp and monkey heads and built that until I was comfortable with the shape of the face. Then, I rounded out thee head, put that on a body technic frame, and started adding armor. If I liked it, it stayed, if not, I changed it. The scale didn't change too much, just my original plan was a standing creation but that was not feasible for transportation or probably even display given the anticipated weight yet fragile style.

Order wise, I built head, staff (for scale), torso frame, front armor plate, shoulder armor, right arm, base, legs, pelvis, attached it all, left arm, sword, finished the back armor.

I usually just have an image in my head that gets solidified as the build itself progresses. It's not the mos well or easily-documented process. :)

Awesome creation.

You are really master of sculpture.

I wonder with this kind of massive size, how can you transport this masterpiece?

And can you share the inside structure view?

Is there any side view of the model?

Thank you very much.

The staff, sword, and arms can be removed. The back piece of armor lifts off to provide access to the inner structure. This is doable, but fragile enough that I;d rather not take it off just for a picture. When I transport it next, I'll document the process. Once the frame is exposed, the back panel of the monkey's pants comes off, allowing the whole torso and head assembly to be lifted from the base, as it is only held with two long axles slid through technic girder bricks. This allows the base to be put in one place, the torso to be laid down on the exposed frame back, and cradled with plastic bags, and the arms and weapons to be transported in another box. *Hopefully* this all will allow for relatively easy transport, but I'm sure repairs will be needed. :) Here's a cruddy side image of the monkey, not sure why it slipped my mind to take one yesterday. Sorry for the phone quality and lack of editing or background. http://imgur.com/yW9ron3

The eyes are boring a hole in my head they stare so intently! Incredible angles in the design, and the pose is out of this world.

What an amazing design. Congratulations!

The eyes are boring a hole in my head they stare so intently! Incredible angles in the design, and the pose is out of this world.

What an amazing design. Congratulations!

Thanks!

When I see many MOCs, I think I could create something similar if I had the huge amount of bricks used in them. When I look at your creation, I'm sure I could have twice the amount of bricks and wouldn't come close to even replicate - leave alone create from scratch - anything as magnificent. Simply amazing!

Wow. Master Sculpterer indeed.

This looks so organic and the facial expression is really intense.

Awesome.

Please post more pictures from different angles if you find the time!

How long do you plan to keep it up :P

It is awesome

It's one I'd like to find a permanent place for in my home, but not sure if that'll happen given the odd size. As long as possible, so hopefully at least a year. I'll try to bring it to as many shows as I can.

Wow that is a really amazing work!!! Very many nice details and I love the way you did the swords and the tail. All the proportions fit to the whole sculpture! :wub:

Cannot wait to see your next sculpture!!! :thumbup:

This is incredible. What makes up the internal frame? Is it all Lego or is there an artificial frame(only ask because most big models I see have a metal frame or something of the sort which is a bit less impressive to me but understandable)?

Edited by Tech Artist

This is incredible. What makes up the internal frame? Is it all Lego or is there an artificial frame(only ask because most big models I see have a metal frame or something of the sort which is a bit less impressive to me but understandable)?

All Lego, the frame is just technic Lego bricks held together with a ton of pins.

Thank you for the side view.

I guess it's the hardest part to scuplture and you managed it very well.

Two thumbs up.