Sign in to follow this  
peter_m

First train: 60052, 7939 or Horizon Express

If you like European electric trains, then the yellow. If you're a North American diesel railfan, then the blue one.

This is the best advice that I have read. Considering that I just stepped into trains about a year ago (running the train and monorail on the DelVaLug moonbase) and made the full jump this past spring, I opted to wait for the 60052 diesel because I wanted the North America style diesel locomotive for my tracks. The yellow train is also an awesome set and I like the accessories with it better than those with the 60052, but I chose the style of the locomotive over the balance of the set because I knew that eventually that I would build my own accessories and train cars to go with the train.

Welcome to the money sucker...I mean Train World! :tongue: Enjoy it when it comes!

Yea, that is also good advice. I am not telling my wife how much I have spent on my latest train MOC as it has well exceeded the amount that I normally spend on my modular buildings. But compared to the price of other model railroad scales, Lego is still very competitive.

So I have built my 7939 today (not played with it yet - I do not have the batteries :look: ).

I have a few conclusions so far:

Engine - it is well designed and realistic - I even do not mind those bulky cabin parts. It is also bigger than I thought it will be. I love it!

Railroad cars - they are also well designed and I really like the diversity (but I need like 3 more of those ;) )

Truck - ah... I obviously appreciate SNOT technique at the front - but still - I hate it...

Crane - it is useless for me - I will not assemble it.

Overall - it was a good choice because the core (train + cars) is outstanding. Now I feel like I need more trains and more tracks :)

Overall - it was a good choice because the core (train + cars) is outstanding. Now I feel like I need more trains and more tracks :)

There is never enough trains and tracks. Your wallet will not be happy. :laugh:

I don't know if Pixmania is shipping outside Sweden, but right now they have the Horizon Express for 963 SEK - that'd be €99. You'll have a hard time to find it cheaper. I just bought my second one - the one I had promised myself I would never get. But having my HE up and running for the first time yesterday, it was just to obvious I only had half of it. So I just couldn't resist completing it when I stumbled upon this price. My wife might forgive me. Maybe not this year, but the next...

As said before: Lego Train - the money sucker.

And the link, should someone be interested:

http://www.pixmania.se/lego-prestige/lego-creator-prestige-expresstag-10233/22026495-a.html

I don't know if Pixmania is shipping outside Sweden, but right now they have the Horizon Express for 963 SEK - that'd be €99. You'll have a hard time to find it cheaper. I just bought my second one - the one I had promised myself I would never get. But having my HE up and running for the first time yesterday, it was just to obvious I only had half of it. So I just couldn't resist completing it when I stumbled upon this price. My wife might forgive me. Maybe not this year, but the next...

As said before: Lego Train - the money sucker.

And the link, should someone be interested:

http://www.pixmania....22026495-a.html

Thanks for the link - I have checked and polish Pixmania has it at the very same price. But it does not fit into my this year's purchase list :(