Sign in to follow this  
peter_m

First train: 60052, 7939 or Horizon Express

Hello!

I would like to get into trains but I can't decide which train should I pick. I would really appreciate if you could help me make a right choice.

I have chosen 3 to limit the options:

1. 7939

+ cheaper than 60052

+ fully equipped (tracks, PF etc.)

- looks

2. 60052

+ looks

+ fully equipped (tracks, PF etc.)

- more expensive than the rest

3. 10233

+ looks!!

+ cheaper than the other 2

- no tracks

- no PF

It is a tough choice. Getting PF is not so hard, as I already have the remote so I would just need to get the motor (and SBrick will be shipped soon :wub: ) but tracks are bigger problem.

What are your thoughts? Which one would you choose if you could only choose one?

I got the freight one (well, the freight one for the time, the yellow one) then built from there. The Horizon Express is a pretty poor choice for a first train, not only does it have no track or power functions, it's only really half a train. Later on though, the HE is *well* worth getting.

Well as you are just starting out it all depends on what you want to do and how you want to build on your collection!

If you want something with a lot of play value get one of the cargo trains. If you want something that looks nice but needs PF (easy to add).

My first train that I got to get started was the Emerald Night package. Even though it came with no track I bought 2 of the packs and went from there (now I have what 8 trains and too much track). Though they do not sell the track pack that i got anymore so it is really hard now to get the curved track separately from a set.

Honestly the best train to get started with is one of the cargo trains (or passenger ones) as they have track and at least a loop of track with a switch or two.

So all in all choose what YOU want, your the one paying and enjoying these so it's up to you but honestly the Cargo trains give you the most track.

Welcome to the train family!

-RailCo

I would get one of the cargo trains. Personally I bought 60052. It looks pretty good and no flex tracks. :classic:

Personally, I'd pick the actual train you want, regardless of the package. My initial foray into Lego trains was with the Emerald Night and Masersk trains as I prefer the more detailed models to the regular trains. They were of course like the Horizon Express had no track or power functions at all. I eventually got all the PF bits and track through various means (Lego store, track packs, bricklink, and eventually a complete train set for my son).

Thank you very much for replies!

Do you have lots of bricks? If so you can buy the basic model and build on that.

I have quite a lot actually - but for a start I would like to get a set instead of just individual parts.

I got the freight one (well, the freight one for the time, the yellow one) then built from there. The Horizon Express is a pretty poor choice for a first train, not only does it have no track or power functions, it's only really half a train. Later on though, the HE is *well* worth getting.

But isn't HE close to retiring? I think that my budget will only handle one train for next couple of months.

Well as you are just starting out it all depends on what you want to do and how you want to build on your collection!

If you want something with a lot of play value get one of the cargo trains. If you want something that looks nice but needs PF (easy to add).

My first train that I got to get started was the Emerald Night package. Even though it came with no track I bought 2 of the packs and went from there (now I have what 8 trains and too much track). Though they do not sell the track pack that i got anymore so it is really hard now to get the curved track separately from a set.

Honestly the best train to get started with is one of the cargo trains (or passenger ones) as they have track and at least a loop of track with a switch or two.

So all in all choose what YOU want, your the one paying and enjoying these so it's up to you but honestly the Cargo trains give you the most track.

Welcome to the train family!

-RailCo

This is the second family I am joining this month - the other one is modular buildings. I now have this idea of creating nice railway station out of the sets I have - that is why I need a train :) (also - every man needs a train or two... :P)

I would get one of the cargo trains. Personally I bought 60052. It looks pretty good and no flex tracks. :classic:

Ok - so let it be cargo train - but which one is better? I know it is hard to define "better" - that's why I ask for subjective opinions.

Personally, I'd pick the actual train you want, regardless of the package. My initial foray into Lego trains was with the Emerald Night and Masersk trains as I prefer the more detailed models to the regular trains. They were of course like the Horizon Express had no track or power functions at all. I eventually got all the PF bits and track through various means (Lego store, track packs, bricklink, and eventually a complete train set for my son).

I would buy both Emerald Night and Maersk if they were still available in reasonable prices... HE is not even close to those two :(

But isn't HE close to retiring? I think that my budget will only handle one train for next couple of months.

I think the general opinion is that it'll be replaced next year, so you have a bit of time still.

My opinion of the Creator trains is that the Maersk one probably is the best looking (just won it on ebay, w00t), with HE not far behind. As a lifelong fan of steam, I am really unimpressed with EN. The coach is lazy, and the engine really doesn't look much like the prototype, or anything else to be honest. No way would I pay what I just dropped on Maersk for EN.

As for which freight train, I'd probably go for the yellow (which should still be available on ebay for around RRP). I like both locos, but the yellow one, being European in outline, and (IMO) a little more realistic is probably my fav, both sets have 2 nice trucks, and one rubbish one (although the cattle truck in the blue set is a lot more rubbish than the rather basic car flat wagon). I can't say which I prefer for the cargoes or side vehicles, but the one place that the blue one totally wins out for me is the loading facility. The Yellow one is nice, but the blue one is basically a whole diorama (and I like the use of the old rails).

Of course, all this could change if I ever pick up the blue set.

Ok - so let it be cargo train - but which one is better? I know it is hard to define "better" - that's why I ask for subjective opinions.

It depends on what you like and your budget. If you like European electric trains, then the yellow. If you're a North American diesel railfan, then the blue one. You can also check the parts inventory of both sets to see which one is better for you to use for making your own train MOCs.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?fromForm=Y&itemType=S&itemNo=60052&itemSeq=1

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?fromForm=Y&itemType=S&itemNo=7939&itemSeq=1

Still can't decide? Flip a coin. :classic:

Or go for the red one, with it's snazzy red battery box. :P

Edited by Redimus

It depends on what you like and your budget. If you like European electric trains, then the yellow. If you're a North American diesel railfan, then the blue one. You can also check the parts inventory of both sets to see which one is better for you to use for making your own train MOCs.

http://www.bricklink...60052&itemSeq=1

http://www.bricklink...=7939&itemSeq=1

Still can't decide? Flip a coin. :classic:

Blue one is $257 here, yellow - $180. I think I will give yellow a try - unless I find maersk in a decent price ;)

Or go for the red one, with it's snazzy red battery box. :P

Red? Which set is that? :)

It's also relatively expensive (although not Maersk/EN expensive) because it's been discontinued for a while.

It's also relatively expensive (although not Maersk/EN expensive) because it's been discontinued for a while.

It looks nice but it's way over my budget.

Decision is: 7939

If the 7939 is your final choice, be warned! I've bought the 7939 superpack, (with station and extra switches/rails) about 2 / 3 months back. Then i've bougt a new 7938 (first for parts (rails, PF), but as it's gone out of production i've wanted to keep it intact, maybe mod it), then a second hand 7938 for parts, then a Emerald Night (used, but it included a bunch of rails and a PF set). Charmed by the more challeging build i've bought a new Maersk train (but so far still unbuild) and the first part of the Horizon express (and i'm waiting for a good price for the second one) and a extra PF set for the HE... Also have i bought an bunch of extra rails and switches...

If the 7939 is your final choice, be warned! I've bought the 7939 superpack, (with station and extra switches/rails) about 2 / 3 months back. Then i've bougt a new 7938 (first for parts (rails, PF), but as it's gone out of production i've wanted to keep it intact, maybe mod it), then a second hand 7938 for parts, then a Emerald Night (used, but it included a bunch of rails and a PF set). Charmed by the more challeging build i've bought a new Maersk train (but so far still unbuild) and the first part of the Horizon express (and i'm waiting for a good price for the second one) and a extra PF set for the HE... Also have i bought an bunch of extra rails and switches...

I may get addicted regardless of choice ;)

One thing I hate about 7939 are those "flex tracks" - wow, those are ugly and unrealistic.

The flex tracks are not my favorite, the only thing they help with is if you need a 1/2 or 1/4 piece of track.

Also yes once you lay down that track you never go back, but remember they are really fun and they gain a lot of value.

Enjoy your train!

-RailCo

The flex tracks are not my favorite, the only thing they help with is if you need a 1/2 or 1/4 piece of track.

Also yes once you lay down that track you never go back, but remember they are really fun and they gain a lot of value.

Enjoy your train!

-RailCo

My inner child tells me that it will not be my last train ;)

My inner child tells me that it will not be my last train ;)

Yep, I went from me EN in 2009 to 8-9 trains in 2014 and a truck load of track. Plan on getting the new city trains soon.

Yep, I went from me EN in 2009 to 8-9 trains in 2014 and a truck load of track. Plan on getting the new city trains soon.

I hate that they started creating those big elements such as 7939's cab and 60051's front. It seems to be getting worse.

After a long time looking and pondering and buying a couple more Lego Star Wars sets, this week I finally took the plunge and brought two Lego train sets. I picked up the out going passenger train set (7938) from Toys R Us for a reasonable £79.

I was also looking to get the out going cargo train set (7939) but I think I have missed the boat on that as Lego direct have sold out (due to having it on sale) and online retailers / sellers seem to be inflating the price (depending on where you look).

In the end and with the help of my Tesco vouchers I also picked up the new cargo train set (60052) for also a reasonable price.

I also have plans to pick up the power function lights to complement the passenger train set and hopefully to pick up the Horizon Express in the near future and to start my first modular layout and go from there.

I bought a couple (and a half) of official sets (a full yellow freight set, the wagons, truck and a crane from the same set and the HE (technically 2 sets, but it's one train, so I'm counting it as one). After that, although I've been tempted by others but not bought any because I'm slowly building up a load of MOC stock. At the moment I have 1 steam engine, a couple of coaches (a third is in the process of the bits arriving) and I am in the process of slowly designing the rolling stock and loco for a roughly 7wide steam era freight train (Southern Railway-ish).

Aaand it has happened - I have ordered my 7939 for $177 with free shipping - I guess that is a reasonable price :)

Sounds like a good price $3 below retail and it's retired! Welcome to the money sucker...I mean Train World! :tongue: Enjoy it when it comes!

-RailCo

Welcome to the money sucker...I mean Train World! :tongue:

You could put any other Lego theme in place of "Train World" ;)