goatman461

[SoNE VI] Mon Calamari - Something smells fishy

After dropping a shuttle full of chatty troops off on various floating cities of Mon Calamari, Officer VeR and Agent An made their way into the watery planet's orbit and docked with a shipyard Goatm had become familiar with during his

last mission. Goatm was hopeful that some of his contacts here could give the pilots an idea of Fett's whereabouts.

He was fairly confident that the Calamari were unaware of his recent sabotage of their B-Wing factory, but he couldn't be for sure. The personal greeting he got made him very suspicious, though. Why would the Calamari send out one of their diplomats to greet the Imperial officers? Why are they so insistent that Fett has not been to the shipyard and that we are "wasting our time" by searching here? Either they were able to identify Goatm or these slimy fish are up to something more sinister.

The return flight to the planet's surface is tense as Goatm considers the implications of this treatment and Officer VeR struggles with his own distracted thoughts.

15147447412_aa16ce11e2_b.jpg14961281938_755bc34b06_b.jpg

*I wanted to rework my previous entry for this planet and sync my build up with BEAVeR and I's current story arc. If you are interested in the previous pics, they're still on Flickr for the time being.

Edited by goatman461

I'm not positive why the A-Wing is there though.

Because the Rebel's are courting the Calamari and their shipyards. And I assumed the Calamari were building A-Wings at some point. I'm also assuming at this time the Calamari are starting to break from the Empire but are not in full revolt yet.

Because the Rebel's are courting the Calamari and their shipyards. And I assumed the Calamari were building A-Wings at some point. I'm also assuming at this time the Calamari are starting to break from the Empire but are not in full revolt yet.

Ok, just don't let Goatman notice it. :grin:

An excellent Build, I like it very much, with the microscale A-Wing and the Planet ( I believe it may have been Kamino, but best choice out of the planet series to depict Mon calamiri), gives the entire 16x16 build a sense of scale.

Good Job Goatman!

Yes, i like ist :classic: .

Good work on the vignette and story and how you used the planet for the MOC is really nice!

markus

A very nice forced perspective build. The reflection of the planet and A-Wing off the black pieces is unfortunate, but very cool nevertheless! I also like your story, though I think you could improve it a little to explain better how it fits in with the contest goals.

The forced perspective looks good, but the reflections really ruins it, since you have 3 planets of the same size strangely aligned. I have no ide how to solve that, maybe build just one pillar for the support of the building. And since it's the best to take pictures from above, I relly think you should add some kind of roof to cover those technic holes ...

Good work! You made excellent use of the available space: this really looks like a big creation. That part that is tucked in the corner at a 45 degree angle is also nicely done! And the story is of course great as always. Very James Bond-like, I would say...

Still, the first time I saw this creation, it felt a little bit weird, because there is no real border between the walkway and outer space. Of course there could be some invisible forcefield, but for a first view you don't think of that. So maybe a large roster beneath the walkway would be nice, as long as you keep seeing what's under it. Or build the upper part of the wall grey, while leaving the space part black. Or some transparent panels could evoke a force field as well. And to top it all off, some greebles at the wall for the generators would be awesome. Greebles would do this MOC good, because I have the feeling the upper part is a bit plain. The overall design is very good, with the narrow walkway and the angled entrance, but it lacks details. There are some details underneath the door, but having some tubes beneath the walkway would be nice as well. I'm not too sure about those Technic levers either... I see that you tried to give us a view at the structural elements, but this seems a bit crude. Maybe covering certain holes could give it some more finesse.

The mini A-wing is very nice. You pretty much nailed the front part. I'm not too sure about the back. I'm confident that there is more detail to get out of that area, like actual round engines. And the guns could be refined using some minifig utensils (to double the amount of guns, the binoculars piece is just ideal). You've come as far as to get a very good shape, but now you only have to finish the model with nice details, and then you will have an outstanding a-wing! The choice of planet is nice, and it's good to see That you tried to hide the studs on top by rotating it, but in fact, maybe it is a better idea to leave them on top, because in all of your pictures they would be blocked by the walkway. And about the reflection of the planet... again, I'm not an expert in photography (not even an amateur!), but if there would be no light on the side of the 'mirror', there would be nothing to reflect. So my guess would be to use a very directional light and point it on the side of the planet that is turned away from the reflective surfaces (so, the most open part of the MOC). This will also create a nice hard shadow on the planet, what would also make it more realistic, since a planet can't be lit at every place at the same time. So with less but stronger light sources, the spacey feeling could be brought out a bit more, if the theories of a photograpy-noob make any sense...

But good job! I can't wait to see your next builds and to see where you're story is going :wink: !

Were have the pictures of this and your part 2 gone? They don't show up anymore.

Sorry about that. I set a lot of my pics of flickr to "private" to help clean up some of the clutter, but it did this to a lot of my posts. I've since set them back to public, but still not showing up here. I guess I'll have to go back and edit every entry so that they show up again. I'll do that ASAP. I apologize for the mess in the meantime