Sign in to follow this  
Esben Kolind

MOC: Autumn House

Hi all,

I have been experimenting with foliage on facades using the new autumn leaf colors and this model is the result. Also, I tried a technique for the roof I haven't been using before. Finally, the blinds and curtains for each window are all different, there's detailed pictures of each on Flickr

All 22 pictures on Flickr

14912540006_2f0d21e671_z.jpg

14932445561_cc3a14a64a_z.jpg

14935531705_af08daa576_z.jpg

14748925208_3b191b3b6a_z.jpg

14935173952_45a79f8b4c_z.jpg

Together with Grand Emporium:

14748974127_6c6e5d7ebc_z.jpg

The building is inspired by several apartment buildings from my local neighborhood in Copenhagen:

14748975027_f5082c6ef9_z.jpg

14748879470_88e97434ae.jpg

So, what do you think? Do the autumn leaf colors work for the facade?

Esben

Yeah, the colors work really nicely. Even though some have the same color as the walls. And the roof also is a nice idea, but it would look better with plates (the ones used for the offsets) in the same color.

It looks nice, I like the idea of having plant growth on the building.

I don't like how some of the plants are the same colour as the building though, it makes it look a little odd.

Nice work there 'EK', I like the multi-coloured vine effect very close to the images of the real thing......Brick On 'EK' ! :grin:

I'm really digging the roof design, but I think a change to the wall color would make the foliage (which I like a lot) really stand out.

The roof technique looks great!

I also like where the foliage is going. I'm going to sound like a bit of an echo, but I agree with the others that have suggested the foliage would look better with a different colour for the wall and maybe a little less order.

Nice use of foliage to reproduce the look of the real facade. Also, I love the use of the profile bricks to create the roof!

Great work.

I concur that the foliage seems too organized, but I also dig the terracotta roof technique which I haven't seen before.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great comments. I have tried to incorporate some of your suggestions for the foliage (+ more) in a new version:

• Only three colors (no olive green) to make it a little less colorful
  • Increased use of 4x3 dark red leaves over 5x6 leaves to create more variation
  • More "chaotic" placement of the main leaves (instead of horizontal/vertical)

The foliage having the same color as the building wall is by design. In real life, the dark red autumn colors also blend in with the dark red brick colors on many buildings and I think this effect just adds extra texture to the building... and it is harder to notice the border between the foliage and the wall.

I would really like to know what you think of the new version.

14762448180_1aa6df03cc_c.jpg

14762447940_0f6b461bec_c.jpg

14946024631_949daab25e_c.jpg

Esben

While I appreciate your efforts, I think your subject matter does not easily, or maybe not at all, translate to lego. And, I think you've probably done as well as anyone could with this idea.

Very nice! I think your new version is an improvement, but changing all the foliage to green would probably make it "pop" still a little more. And as others have said: The roof is superb! :classic:

I like the changes you've made - restricting the color-palette and randomising the layout of the foliage has definitely improved the build.

Love the idea, but taking out the olive green has exaggerated the red leaves. Having said that, I think its really good. It would be easy to create with dark green, but if thats not your vision stick with the autumn colours and keep tweaking and you'll get there. Maybe look through your Lego and see what you can put on top of the leaf pieces to add greater texture.