Here is my current project. The Windhoff MPV or miulti purpose vehicle. It has had several incarnations in its short life, firstly as the cargo sprinter now in the market of maintence of way. The english "great western electrication project" will use several of these to electrify the remaining 179 miles of rail from outer London to Cardiff.

Derek Wilson in the UK has taken some great reference pics: http://derekwilson-r...-HOPS/i-wzWKvHs

Amey the prime contractor had these: http://www.infrarail...-2014-Amey-.pdf & http://nearyou.imech...um-15-04-13.pdf

This will be a pure moc for me, no cheating by recreating others work.

Prelim stats: it will be an eight wide train at an overall scale of 1:38.1 or 1 stud = 1 foot, overall length will be about 1.3m or 166 studs or 5.2 std baseplates

There will be 2x mpv's along with the supply trailer. The MPV's will be 54 studs long plus buffers & the supply wagon will be 52 studs long.

Being modular I will make several of the modules to provide different setup displays from foundations to mast installation to the wire work.

14735471667_ec0dd1bf32_c.jpgWindhoff wip by coghilla, on Flickr

Edited by coghilla

Cool. I have a Windhoff type train in the plans too. But it will be 6 wide.

I found some Cargo Sprinter video filmed in Australia during my research.

Here is Karl the build foreman reviewing the sketch plans. He has already found the first issue. The one cab has been lowered for review, and if acceptable by the client, the second cab will be also modified.

14765631777_6f77f9cca4_c.jpgUntitled by coghilla, on Flickr

The second issue was the plan were drawn incorrectly. The build length is at 56studs, when it should have been 66studs long. So an extra 10studs will need to be added. I worked out this morning that the scale length i was using (57' was the MTW100 previously constructed. The MPV will be 72' buffer to buffer & allowing 3 studs each end for buffers and couplings). Also i built a second 52' wagon.

Here is the preliminary roof arrangement with the cantery wire holders fitted.

14929181896_844f17b8d7_c.jpgUntitled by coghilla, on Flickr

I also used the graphics from the Windhoff web site http://www.windhoff.de/e/ft/mod/index_mpv.htm to work out the sizings and spacings. I merged the pics and info into this google doc for reference: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L-3ioku3wuEgh_ZuefZ_2MmSCU3xtgprJgAmWjwIKEA/pub

Edited by coghilla

Work continues:

As mentioned above i built the second wagon. So each consist is a MPV & wagon and at about 1m long. I've done a rough finish of the cab (which has a removable roof for extra play.

I've started to build the crane for the MPV based off the pics. Not happy with what is happening there, so frustrating. I would love to build a working knuckle boom unit at this scale.

All the 1x1 dots represent the ISO lock points, 45 foot with enough locks for any 5 foot configuration.

Next bit i'm thinking of is better representation of the chassis and the crane.

14972992076_a4be84cc3c_c.jpgWindhoff mpv (wip) by coghilla, on Flickr

14972993816_087b73f5d7_c.jpgWindhoff mpv (wip) by coghilla, on Flickr

14809333600_dc15abaa09_c.jpgWindhoff mpv (wip) by coghilla, on Flickr

14995971995_428d70979f_c.jpgWindhoff mpv (wip) by coghilla, on Flickr

Already looks wonderful! Can't wait to see it finished!

Already looks wonderful! Can't wait to see it finished!

Greetings new friend,

while indeed there are all sorts of interesting bits in old threads like this, please do not bump an old topic just to add a small comment or ask a quick question. Few of the readers will remember the original discussion and it just becomes confusing for the regular readers.

If you have questions for the original poster you can try sending them a private message. You can also start a new thread if you have a related topic that is not a direct continuation. Of course if you do have a substantial follow up to an old thread it is sometimes appropriate to do a bump like this, e.g., "I finally built this and found...."

Greetings new friend,

while indeed there are all sorts of interesting bits in old threads like this, please do not bump an old topic just to add a small comment or ask a quick question. Few of the readers will remember the original discussion and it just becomes confusing for the regular readers.

If you have questions for the original poster you can try sending them a private message. You can also start a new thread if you have a related topic that is not a direct continuation. Of course if you do have a substantial follow up to an old thread it is sometimes appropriate to do a bump like this, e.g., "I finally built this and found...."

Sorry, but that's how forums work - and I'm actually (as a rather new user here) happy to see others bump old threads with cool builds in, that I would otherwise hardly see..

If it's so hard to see old threads active again, then the forum admin should archive them after some time, and you can then ignore the 'archive' subfolder.. but that would be sort of silly, if you ask me.. ;-)

Greetings new friend,

oops, i did not even see how old this topic was:)

U have bumped a lot of topics all over 1 year old!

yes unfortunately. Plenty of other events on in my life, sapping time from this project.

Also been unsuccessful at obtaining drawings and pics (other than publicly online) to help provide reference

Edited by coghilla

Sorry, but that's how forums work - and I'm actually (as a rather new user here) happy to see others bump old threads with cool builds in, that I would otherwise hardly see..

If it's so hard to see old threads active again, then the forum admin should archive them after some time, and you can then ignore the 'archive' subfolder.. but that would be sort of silly, if you ask me.. ;-)

Oh yes, having the occasional bump of an old topic seems fine, but every few months someone comes in and starts bumping a lot of old topics with minor comments. Certainly understandable for someone new to the forum, but if it happened every day it would be impossible to keep up with the new discussions mixed in with the old.

As noted above, not a big problem. And just about everyone around here likes to see new faces. I just wanted to give you feedback (give it a week or two of being active on the forum and you'll see what I mean, it is hard enough to keep up with the active threads). Also, as noted in my previous post, it is certainly okay to bump an old topic if you have something substantial to add. Speaking strictly for myself, I also see no problem with occasionally bumping some topic that is just simply incredible (as marook suggested). I say "personally" in this case because I'm not sure what the official EB guidelines are.

Well finally something to post about.

Its nearing display status. I have managed to complete in the past few weeks the super and sub structures of the vehicles.

I have some modules to build that will fit onto the MPV's and wagons and provide the working components (hydraulic knuckle-boom, scissor lifts and cable dispensers. They will be on show next weekend at the Gold Coast Brick Event.

The MPVs are 72 studs buffer to buffer and the wagons are about 50 studs long and are still all 8 wide.

The three MPV's will show the sequence of a track getting power.

• The first MPV will install the mast into pre established footings
  • The second will install the catenary equipment
  • the third will install the wiring.

28909440023_15fa5aaabb_c.jpgWindhoff mpv by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

28909445723_10aceb119c_c.jpgWindhoff mpv by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

28909439923_9683fb3c4a_c.jpgWindhoff mpv by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

28909442973_66e06ecdd7_c.jpgWindhoff mpv by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

the full album is here