Bregir

HSS Craftsmen: The Kaliphlinite Market (UoP DoH)

Before you, you see a busy corner of the Kaliphlinite market in the Trifork. Situated in the old town amidst the Kaliphlinite neighbourhood surrounding the South Gate, it offers all the heart may desire in both exotic and common goods.

14731733837_2f3f41a167_z.jpg

People of all kinds frequent the market to trade or to seek anonymity amongst the masses for more or less shadowy business.

14731619449_bee6bae692_c.jpg

Frederick the Fishmonger is hawking his wares, while a travelling baker is trying to get the attention of the visitors: "I bet you a nice, fine loaf o' bread would go nicely with that fishie, Ma'm!"

The visiting elf sends a dissaproving glance towards the traders and their sales strategies.

14917925972_2d13573e5c_c.jpg

Nearby, the master of the Kaliphlinite Market Gold Exchange offers his services in exchanging the multitude of currencies brought to the market from the people passing through from all corners of Historica. All that matters here is the weight in gold. Passing through, a leander soldier is amused by the bustle of the marketplace.

14915202991_e87bfe810d_c.jpg

Please let me know what you think of this vignette. I quite like it, and think I got a good deal of life into a small space. (Which proved smaller than expected...) I hope I captured the Kaliphlinite feel quite well, although I would have liked some more space to put in more developed market stands.

I experienced a bit with photoediting, which is why there is some difference in colours/etc. between the pictures.

A specific detail: The scales - I couldn't seem to find any examples of others building scales, but I think it turned out reasonably well, although the stand is still bugging me.

Further, I would like to claim the following UoP credits:

Anthropology

- life in Kaliphlin (Although it happens in Avalonia, the influence is heavily Kaliphlinite - Let me know if that is acceptable.)

Trade and Law

- marketplace

Thanks for looking!

Cool, I like the fountain and the scale! You've captured the bustling market feel in this build quite nicely! I can't say I'm a fan of mixing fleshes and yellows, though, but that's just me. :wink:

I think it's a great little build. Also, I approve of the mix of fleshies and yellow especially if fleshies are used with setting in mind. Having paler, differently-toned skin works well for elves for example.

My only C&C would be to add more texturing and detail to the ground. In a tight build like this one, that can be difficult unless you do it early. I often make the error of not planning for ground texturing and then slapping something together after the fact. Usually it looks like that's what I did, if you know what I mean.

It's a nice little build but it could use more tan bricks to better fit the Kaliphlin architecture.

Nice build! Nice to see the Leander there! I would suggest adding a bit more texture to the ground however...

Edited by Mike S

Nice build, it creates a bustling, lively scene :thumbup: . I think perhaps some foliage under the palm tree and higher walls might enhance the build a little, but good work overall.

It's a nice little build but it could use more tan bricks to better fit the Kaliphlin architecture.

I disagree with this simply because painting stone structures, even tan brick and so on, was common practice historically and there's a precedent for it in GoH too. Plus, this could be alabaster!

Edited by mccoyed

Very nice scene! We are seeing way too few white buildings in Kaliphlin, but it gives a nice Mediterranean look.

I especially like the windows on the left :classic:

Regarding photography I would advice you to turn off the flash (or is it another small bright source of light?) and go for a better source of external light. Outside on a cloudy day or in the shade is a good idea (even though Kaliphlin build also look great in direct sunlight if you manage to get the dynamic range right).

Edited by Gideon

Excellent scene, lots of life and detail on a small base.

:classic:

While I, too, wouldn't mind seeing a bit more tan for a Kaliphlin build, the architecture overall captures the feel nicely.

I agree with others that I'd like to see something more for ground texture -- variation in plate height? perhaps a tiled floor? A mix of tiles and studs to indicate a somewhat packed ground?

I love the bustling feel of a busy market you've captured with the minifig posing, and of course the awning colors look lovely! :wink:

Missed your UoP claims before, definitely +1 for Marketplace. Had it not been written that it was in Avalonia I wouldn't have hesitated to second Life in Kaliphlin as well. Now I am a bit confused...

Nice market there Bregir! I like the fountain and the way you hang the fish from the tent :wink:

Excellent Kaliphlin scene, I like the white buildings and the market has an appropriate busy feel :thumbup: Cool scale design and the little dark red/dark blue canopy adds some nice color :classic:

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone! I might revisit this MOC in the coming days to try to incorporate some of your feedback. If so, I will make sure to update it here! :)

Nice work here, good use of the arches, and I like the clean, whitewashed look! +1 for marketplace. Since the MOC is technically in Avalonia, I'm not sure I can give you credit for life in Kaliphlin... it might be similar, but if it's not actually there...? Especially since it's a fairly easy credit to get (not very specific), I don't feel like I can give it to you right now.

As others have mentioned, the ground could use a bit of work. A tiled floor would probably be the nicest solution to the slightly barren look you have right now; it would go with the clean look of the rest of the MOC, but a cobblestone look (a bit more random part placement) would probably be an improvement as well.

Thanks for the feedback. For the ground I think I will be going for a somewhat ordered cobblestone look, if I get to revisit it.

I will also give the +1 to marketplace, I agree with Gideon that the white is a refreshing color choice for Kaliphlin style builds as it is very Mediterranean and I would also like to see more of that in Kali.

Lovely scene Bregir, it really captures the spirit of a bustling marketplace. I especially like the fountain. Some 1x1 and 2x2 round tiles, interspersed with plate would help the ground a bit though.

UoP +1 for Trade and Law, Marketplace, and Life in Kaliphlin. I know that the scene is in Avalonia, but i'm going more from what i can see in the moc itself, and less from the accompanying description. To me, the scene feels like Kaliphlin, so it gets my vote. I can totes understand why the other assessors feel differently though. (and it's a easy credit to pick up later anyway if you don't get the 4 for this) :classic:

Very nice scene!!

What I love the most, is your idea of having a city where each neighbourhood has their own buildingstyle!! Excellent!!

Maybe I am even going to do something in your city! (if I have the time, so I can't promise it :( )

Edited by Maxim I