Sign in to follow this  
1nxtmonster

Compact Independent Suspension with Servo Steering

A little video showing a suspension concept:

The suspension is tatra-style, not double wishbone. But it is simple and works well enough for my needs. Uses the lego rubber pieces in the place of shock absorbers to save space, and can be built onto a servo motor with as little hassle as possible. I am pleased that the pivot points are all aligned such that the wheels do not steer themselves when the suspension is actuated. Overall a neat concept that I hope to incorporate into my future small-scale MOCs.

Have a look at the front of 42021. It has an upper and lower arm that work together to maintain neutral camber.

For other examples look at 8070, 8048, 42000 or 42037. All have an upper an lower arm.

What do you mean?

It's Tatra style suspension, not double wishbone. Basically, the difference is that Tatra suspension, which is technically called swing arm suspension, has the wheel fixed to the suspension arm, and rotating about one point, whereas double wishbone suspension has the wheel able to move relative to the suspension arm. This diagram should show the difference:

320px-Automotive_suspension_comparison.svg.png

The two relevant suspension for us are the third from top, which is swing axle, and the fourth, which is double wishbone. This shows the difference, but not how they look in motion.

The image below shows what happens when swing arm suspension goes over a bump:

656px-Swing_Axle_Diagram.svg.png

I hop that helps you.

@1NXTmonster, this is pretty good. Although, your servo motor also seems to have been used as a skid plate. :tongue:

It's Tatra style suspension, not double wishbone. Basically, the difference is that Tatra suspension, which is technically called swing arm suspension, has the wheel fixed to the suspension arm, and rotating about one point, whereas double wishbone suspension has the wheel able to move relative to the suspension arm. This diagram should show the difference:

320px-Automotive_suspension_comparison.svg.png

The two relevant suspension for us are the third from top, which is swing axle, and the fourth, which is double wishbone. This shows the difference, but not how they look in motion.

The image below shows what happens when swing arm suspension goes over a bump:

656px-Swing_Axle_Diagram.svg.png

I hop that helps you.

@1NXTmonster, this is pretty good. Although, your servo motor also seems to have been used as a skid plate. :tongue:

Thank you!

Can you help me with finishing this axle? It's based off this https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/ but I want to reduce the number of gears used.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing