Cinderbike

Benny's Spaceship - Film vs. Set

Hello fellow EB'rs,

I'm a huge fan of both Classic Space and TLM, as well as a nut for screen-accurate props. The Lego Movie of course makes building props from the film even more exciting.

Anyway... a lot of the sets in the film are scaled up (especially the Sea Cow), however Benny's spaceship is pretty much identical in the film and in the produced set - though there are a few slight differences:

Here is the ship as it appears in the film:

14701904970_7f87b8275f.jpg

Benny's Spaceship: TLM version by cinderbike, on Flickr

And here's my copy, after assembly and staged about the same:

14888567375_9c9f80c752.jpg

Benny's Spaceship - Production version by cinderbike, on Flickr

Benny hasn't quite built the hoses yet, but as you can see the 2 big differences I noticed were the construction of UniKitty's pod and the position of the front-most wing tips. Converting the set to appear as it does in the movie as actually pretty easy.

In the film Unikitty's pod lacks the missile launcher, and instead uses 1x1 round trans-red pieces (they might actually be diamonds or another piece, but it's hard to tell with the glow) and a few odds and ends in lieu of the launcher pieces. Secondly, the apparatus that holds her in is more simplified in the production set. In the set, the droid torso more of less just holds her down by the tail, whereas in the film a 1x1 clip and a couple of battle droid arms are used in addition to actual lock down onto the stud between her tail and head.

All of these parts are fairly easy to find, here is my tweaked version (I need to BrickLink some droid arms in light bley, but you get the idea):

14701973968_4097217718.jpg

Hope this helps anyone else wondering how close to the film our ships are!

Edited by Cinderbike

The detail on the body by the back wings is also different...

Edit: oh no it's not it's just the lighting reflecting

Edited by TheLegGodt

The set is very similar to the movie-several different pieces here and there. But to me, that doesn't really matter. TLG has, IMO, done a great job! :thumbup:

Other sets, though, like the Construct-O-Mech are different and these changes are evident. Come on, you're basing the set off a LEGO model. It couldn't be easier, and yet the set is very different... :devil:

It might just be timing(I really must see that movie, I'm really annoyed that I haven't had the right moment yet :wacko:), and they're built on later, but in the picture you shared, it looks like the movie version is missing the yellow spring-loaded launchers on the back wings?

Also, after a careful examination of the picture, I am almost positive that those are trans-red diamonds. You can see the bley holder right behind the glow, which wouldn't be possible with any other part.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

the classic space logos on the rear fins arent there in the film, although it may just be not on yet in this shot, also i think the lights are barraki eyes, they can be held the same way diamonds do, and a few old (not classic, but old) space sets used the early form of them as color bits anyware with a working light, so it would make sense to use a similar part from todays selection, as is done a few other times in the build.

the classic space logos on the rear fins arent there in the film, although it may just be not on yet in this shot, also i think the lights are barraki eyes, they can be held the same way diamonds do, and a few old (not classic, but old) space sets used the early form of them as color bits anyware with a working light, so it would make sense to use a similar part from todays selection, as is done a few other times in the build.

I considered the possibility of their being Barraki eyes, but the bley holder excludes them. Note, when I refer to the holder, I am referring to the hollow stud, not the brick that the hollow stud is on. Barraki eyes sink back over the holder, hiding it, whereas diamonds can't. If you look closely, you can see the holder - ergo, they have to be diamonds.

I considered the possibility of their being Barraki eyes, but the bley holder excludes them. Note, when I refer to the holder, I am referring to the hollow stud, not the brick that the hollow stud is on. Barraki eyes sink back over the holder, hiding it, whereas diamonds can't. If you look closely, you can see the holder - ergo, they have to be diamonds.

Unless Benny really used real CS parts - the Barraki eyes without the pin...

On closer inspection I'm 90% certain those are diamonds as I suspected they might be. I don't have any trans-red ones to confirm but once I get some in I'll try them out.

Also, remove the flex pipes on the sides. The movie version is without them.

That's another one of those pieces that is there, but not in that screengrab. I'll have to grab a pic of the next scene with the pipes and launchers (and CS logos!) visible.

Edited by Cinderbike

Also, in one scene you can see the wings extend the same as the actual set. I guess it isn't very impressive that a toy matches the actual movie prop so well, considering that the prop itself is...a toy..but when I noticed that in the movie I was impressed nonetheless.

Funny, at first glance they look the exact same compared side to side. I could've sworn I saw the flex-pipes in the film! I just received this set last Sunday, and I have fallen in love with it.

Edited by Puffle Pal26

Wow, that's an accurate replication! Good job TLG!

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the only minor thing different besides the hoses are that you have the flaps on the miniature wings in the front turned the wrong way. ;)

Wouldn't the movie version use the older light grey since that's the one used in classic space sets?

Older grey does appear in the movie, but from the lighting reflection I'd be almost willing to bet that that's supposed to be Light Blue Grey. Older grey does not have that slightly bluish tinge to it, which is somewhat visible in the provided screenshot(Look at the front of the ship, and other places where the light is not directly reflecting off of.).

So what.is the right position of these flaps? In the movie or in the set?

The angled part of the little wing-flaps should be in the back, the straight edge should face front; it's that way in the movie and the instructions

I just happened to have the spacesip Spaceship SPACESHIP instructions sitting on my desk and I noticed in the big full page ad for the three new sets, the ssS the Construction Mech and the Dropship, on the back page of book 2, the picture of ssS that takes up half the page does not have the flex hoses. It's weird. The construction mech shown is the set version not the movie?

Question out of topic:

Does anybody knows the utility of the printed number piece?

I thought it was a code for the videogame but I was wrong....

So the model wings don't have to be extended? Because they're 3 studs offset in this photo vs the movie version. Otherwise the yellow missile, hoses, and the erroneously applied wing tips are the only discrepancies. And I think the 2 at issue are merely a matter a the build in the movie not having been completed when this screen grab was taken.

What wingtips are you talking about? The blue ones in the front? There's no discrepancy. The flat side should be forward, angled side backward... It's that way in box art, the instructions, and the film.

So the model wings don't have to be extended? Because they're 3 studs offset in this photo vs the movie version. Otherwise the yellow missile, hoses, and the erroneously applied wing tips are the only discrepancies. And I think the 2 at issue are merely a matter a the build in the movie not having been completed when this screen grab was taken.

The models wings move. When you push in one of the engines the wings slide out revealing the spring missile launchers that otherwise sit under those blue car roof pieces. In the two pictures above the top movie still has the wings retracted although the blue roof pieces are for some reason in the open position. The second picture of the physical set has the wings fully extended.