Hi!

I haven't been very active here for a while, but I was busy "working" on some LDD models and revising them. Some of you might have seen them already on my flickr photostream. I also got to render my models for the first time :sweet:

Ok, I'll show you the pics :classic:

My revised BR Standard Class 9F "Evening Star"

14879191055_a258738b38_b.jpg

I borrowed codefox421's coaches to try on the 9F :classic: (all credit for the coaches goes to him, here is the link to his topic: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=97927 )

14698072710_38dec87f99_b.jpg

I also revised my GWR 14xx, but that'll be part of another topic soon :sweet:

Then I also rendered and (re) designed some rolling stock:

From top left to bottom right:

Cattle Wagon

Tank Wagon

Well Wagon

Vent Van

GWR 16 Ton Toad Brake Van

BR 20 Ton Brake Van (brown livery)

BR 20 Ton Brake Van (grey and yellow livery)14699163299_66fac0f398_h.jpg

I also designed a water tower:

14862827766_b2d35c7807_b.jpg

and a modular train station. This is one section:

14534555239_b05c4ba797_c.jpg

You can make it bigger:

14721212895_d39b2d3879_b.jpg

and build a pretty decent station:

14884948275_0085813900_b.jpg

The station has too many parts to be rendered :sweet:

And another station building:

14392801120_bf1b47c47e_b.jpg

I hope you enjoyed it :classic:

Comments and criticisms are welcome!

Greetings, Nick

P.S.: You can see higher resolution pics on my flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/94645638@N07/

Edited by ScotNick

How do you achieve the step along the side of the brake vans. I've been trying to perfect that for a while with limited success.

Also I may well be borrowing some of your truck ideas!

Thanks everyone!

How do you achieve the step along the side of the brake vans. I've been trying to perfect that for a while with limited success.

Also I may well be borrowing some of your truck ideas!

I attach the 1x8 or 1x6 tiles to plates with clips

61252.jpg

You can do it in real life, but in LDD you need a little trick, which I have shown here: LDD Trick

Wow, those are some nice builds, both the trains and the structures. A small suggestion about the steam locomotive, if the drivers are fixed in place it might be nice to get something between them and the boiler, e.g., a 1x2x2 panels to put thin vertical elements representing structural supports for the boiler (e.g, like this one- but ignore the fact that the pilot and trailing trucks are hanging down)

Wow, those are some nice builds, both the trains and the structures. A small suggestion about the steam locomotive, if the drivers are fixed in place it might be nice to get something between them and the boiler, e.g., a 1x2x2 panels to put thin vertical elements representing structural supports for the boiler (e.g, like this one- but ignore the fact that the pilot and trailing trucks are hanging down)

That's prototypical of the 9Fs, they really did have that huge gap.

That is a crazy design in the prototype, I never knew. I retract my earlier suggestion, you would be hard pressed to make it look any closer in lego at this size.

Great work! I just saw three details on your train station that will increase the cost of my next build by (about) 30%. :wink: My wife will love you, but hopefully the crowds will "squee" when they see it at the AFOL shows.

Oh, and one word of advice for anyone building the "well wagon" car (or drop deck as we called them when I was rigging) is to make sure the final car has the clearance to not rub its belly on the track as it passes around a layout due to uneven table surfaces and the like. I typically build my cars high enough to where this is not a problem but some builders in my clubs try to lower the cars as much as possible to get that "sleek" look and it can cause a lot of heart ache on a layout.

That is a crazy design in the prototype, I never knew. I retract my earlier suggestion, you would be hard pressed to make it look any closer in lego at this size.

Thanks, I tried to make my model as true to the prototype as possible, that's why the gap is that big :classic:

Great work! I just saw three details on your train station that will increase the cost of my next build by (about) 30%. :wink: My wife will love you, but hopefully the crowds will "squee" when they see it at the AFOL shows.

Oh, and one word of advice for anyone building the "well wagon" car (or drop deck as we called them when I was rigging) is to make sure the final car has the clearance to not rub its belly on the track as it passes around a layout due to uneven table surfaces and the like. I typically build my cars high enough to where this is not a problem but some builders in my clubs try to lower the cars as much as possible to get that "sleek" look and it can cause a lot of heart ache on a layout.

Haha, which station are you talking about (or what are you planning to build) ? I am happy to help if you need the ldd. Also I think it is better to get the cars lower, because increasing height is always easier.

Hey guys!

*blowing dust off the thread*

My last post here was nearly a year ago!

Although I haven't been very active here I still uploaded my pics on flickr every now and then.

As some of you probably don't look on flickr too often I thought I'd show you what progress I made.

I'll start with my revised rolling stock (which I redid just recently)

19576928476_a3f4a8fd68_b.jpgFreight Rake by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Larger images of these wagons can be found in the album Revised Rolling Stock

I also designed a new diesel locomotive (actually my first try on a diesel)

18020539056_361a633860_b.jpgBR 07 Shunter by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Also in the last year I had a try on some engines from my homeland:

An Austrian 1670 class engine

16509387760_a0608af94c_b.jpgÖBB train by ScotNick1, on Flickr

I'm currently building this in real life but I only have a bad wip pic of it so I'll just add a link: LINK LINK2

Then there is the Austrian 4041 class engine which I'll build eventually:

19421946259_df956af457_b.jpg

I also tried my hands on one of the earliest Austrian steam engines - the Ajax

19063789726_1afabb86aa_b.jpgAjax by ScotNick1, on Flickr

As I know some of you will probably get sick of me just posting rendered pics here are pics of 2 engines which are nearly finished but not 100%

First my KKSTB class 310 engine:

19608373855_a8886e97a4_b.jpg

The valve gear shown here is not the final version. In the end I plan to use Zephyr's rods.

I also have a video of this one running if you're interested:

And at last my first British loco built in bricks (not 100% done yet)

19190858399_04e5bc1438_b.jpgTeaser by ScotNick1, on Flickr

That's all for now, any suggestions?

Should I update this thread more often?

Cheers,

Nick

P.S.: I'll make threads for the engines in real bricks when they're 100% done :)

Edited by ScotNick

Those are all fantastic. I especially love the 07, it looks really lovely. Brick on, can't wait to see more!

I really enjoy looking at these models that you make they are absolutely stunning! Is there anyway I can get instructions for your rolling stock I would personally love to have some of those being pulled by my little 0-6-0.

Great Work!

-RailCo

Really nice ScotNick! Are you going to use them in your layout too?

I love them! Your shunter looks wonderful!

Yes. Your builds are inspiring, thank you for keeping us updated.

British locomotives have very difficult lines and you capture them beautifully. Tapering boilers were sent to try us.

Having said that, my favourite is the Toad. Such an icon of the GWR and you got it just right.

Thanks guys!

I'll update more often now.

The green shunter is the winner!!!

Any instructions available?

Well, not yet I guess. I've sent you a PM.

Yes. Your builds are inspiring, thank you for keeping us updated.

British locomotives have very difficult lines and you capture them beautifully. Tapering boilers were sent to try us.

Having said that, my favourite is the Toad. Such an icon of the GWR and you got it just right.

Thanks, I actually see the lines as a challange :laugh:

Really nice ScotNick! Are you going to use them in your layout too?

I sadly don't have a layout (yet). But when I have some rolling stock I'll let my engines go around my LUG's layout. Sometime in the future I plan to build a layout though.

I really enjoy looking at these models that you make they are absolutely stunning! Is there anyway I can get instructions for your rolling stock I would personally love to have some of those being pulled by my little 0-6-0.

Great Work!

-RailCo

Thanks I've sent you a PM.

Edited by ScotNick

That's all for now, any suggestions?

Cheers,

Nick

P.S.: I'll make threads for the engines in real bricks when they're 100% done :)

Oh wow! Those are all so fantastic, I would think most of those projects are each worth their own thread. There is so much to take in at one time that a lot of the fantastic details are overwhelming.

Please do post, and please do post renderings of work in progress, it is always fascinating to see how a project develops.

The rolling stock are all nice detailed work in their humble selves. I like the hopper cars the best, though the break vans really remind me of the original Thomas books (which in turn were based on similar prototypes). One stupid question, are the strings with grips on the tank care more prototypical than simple strings without grips?

The dark green diesel is top notch, like the rolling stock, well executed MOC of a humble prototype. The two electric Austrian trains also are great. And the steamers are to die for...

First my KKSTB class 310 engine:

19608373855_a8886e97a4_b.jpg

This one is probably my favorite of the lot. So is the boiler half plate steps as it expands back toward the cab? Or even smaller than that? Is the transition seamless on the sides? I'm sure somewhere there is a pirate cursing that locomotive though. I like the added chain on the tank engine though.

They are all fantastic, as I said, I think each one is worthy of its own thread, but hey, if time prohibits I am still enjoying the summary post.

I would think most of those projects are each worth their own thread.

I'll surely do that once they are 100% done. As of yet I have come closer but the engines aren't yet ready to be shown :sceptic:

The rolling stock are all nice detailed work in their humble selves. I like the hopper cars the best, though the break vans really remind me of the original Thomas books (which in turn were based on similar prototypes).One stupid question, are the strings with grips on the tank care more prototypical than simple strings without grips?

Yeah, some of the Thomas stuff was really realistic, I think that actually is what fascinated many kids (including me). But I used pictures of real brake vans for reference to get everything right and they surely look better than my earlier version which can be seen in one of my first posts in this thread.

The strings I used aren't more prototypical or anything than the normal strings, the normal ones just aren't available in LDD. I just though it would look better with those then with none :wink:

This one is probably my favorite of the lot. So is the boiler half plate steps as it expands back toward the cab? Or even smaller than that? Is the transition seamless on the sides? I'm sure somewhere there is a pirate cursing that locomotive though. I like the added chain on the tank engine though.

They are all fantastic, as I said, I think each one is worthy of its own thread, but hey, if time prohibits I am still enjoying the summary post.

I'll just say that the boiler is sloped less than half plate steps, but more to that in the soon coming thread for the engine to keep you interested :devil:

And the pirate surely hasn't been cursing about the hook as he lost his head and legs before that - or never had them anyway :grin:

I think I'm at a stage now where I as a young man have time to build/design but not enough money - later I probably won't have the time but the money. So let's use this time before I'll lack it :wink:

Awesome work on your sets!

I'm looking to make a small British themed railway and would love to use your rolling stock if you could possibly set me up with the LDD files!

Edited by dwayne_hicks

Well, I've been busy lately working on several projects.

I figured that I've already posted some of my projects here (also models I'm already building), so can an admin pleas change the subject to "ScotNick's WIP thread [real bricks and LDD]" please?

To start off I've nearly finished my 14xx, just waiting for the stickers and a gold piece for the whistle now

22452306357_bf3101b457_c.jpgGWR 14xx front by ScotNick1, on Flickr

More pics in the album

https://flic.kr/s/aHskcyXBG5

Also I've dedicated more of my time to real bricks, here the start of my ÖBB 1670 class engine

22957402503_4a787fc5cb_c.jpgBBÖ 1670 WIP by ScotNick1, on Flickr

23501997381_900790dc43_c.jpgBBÖ 1670 WIP by ScotNick1, on Flickr

For this engine I still need the black BBB medium wheels and some way to get more traction.

The next engine I started work on is the ÖBB 4041 class electric railcar

22957210913_455d2f1db0.jpgBBÖ 4041 WIP by ScotNick1, on Flickr

23584324895_2d142e2ac9.jpgBBÖ 4041 WIP by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Only thing is I still have to find out which motor works best, here a testing setup. Here you can see an M motor but in the end I'll probably go with 2 small PF motors.

23501944001_2c30cb93e4.jpgBBÖ 4041 WIP by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Also:

Merry Christmas to you all!!! (I know I'm a bit late :grin: )

23919366701_e125f537ec.jpgMerry Christmas!! by ScotNick1, on Flickr

This is a K class Tramway from Vienna, where I live. The model is 6 wide and has room for all the PF components.

Now I've started on my first rolling stock piece, a break van (that still is a little bit broken :laugh: )

22956474184_7dbb8dac44.jpgBrake Van WIP by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Also I'm working on a certain engine you might remember from earlier times...

img_0538_-_copy.jpg

I'm still missing some parts though, and the wheels will be replaced by BBB medium drivers.

Now coming to the last engine I recently designed in LDD, this is actually a try to celebrate 50 years of Lego trains - my try on redoing the Emerald Night, based on the Flying Scotsman23883255770_7822be8006_c.jpg

Like the Emerald Night, there is space for an XXL-motor in the cab, and this version has the same gearing as the Emerald Night. This engine has just about 30 more parts than the Emerald Night engine. I know Carl Greatrix and Michael Gale have already built tenders that would fit with this engine but I want to make an earlier non-corridor tender. Also as the motor is in the engine I will try to make a more accurate wheelset for the tender. Oh yes, all the parts are available and shouldn't be very hard to find, so to celebrate the anniversary I might publish building instructions if there is a demand :sweet:

I hope you like my models, any comments/suggestions are always appreciated :sweet:

Edited by ScotNick