Sign in to follow this  

Hey everyone.

With regard to the new Model Team contest It occurred to me to ask about the tire 13 x 24 (Item No:2696)

As you may be able to see from the pics below there is two different compounds these tires came in.

Grippy one on LEFT (note the dip on the outside), Older one on Right. (Sorry for the dirt, haven't been used in like 20 years!)

14699270277_1eacd2ef76_b.jpg

14882759591_62a428e0e2_b.jpg

I'm sure I received set 8210 as a kid and it had a much softer compound tires that noticeably grip on smooth surfaces. In light of the coming contest this is of no importance, but if one was building a small drifter the difference would be noticeable.

And as I have only one of these "grippy" versions, I wonder how would you order them from BL knowing you will get the softer or harder compound?

8210-1.jpg?0

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=8210-1

I'm guessing the only sure way is to buy 8210 NEW! haha, or just ask the seller, hoping they don't think you are crazy.

But I'm curious to know what others think.

Visually the grippy ones appear poorer in quality too with slight deforms. Most noteworthy for identifying them apart is the grippy ones have smoother insides.

Putting rims inside doesn't remove the "dip" on the outside either.

I have 8 grippy tires from Lego 7249, and 4 non-grippy from another set. I also noticed the difference but it doesn't bother me since I never use them...

Yeah, there are grippy like modern tires on 8071 and plastic non-grippy.

I use non-grippy for drift. But since it is with deep thread - they are very noisy while drifting.

I noticed that too years ago, and they arent the only tyres with such differences..

Could you please share more light on other tires too?

Sure, here are different hrdnesses I know of:

3641 15x6 - small city one

6015 - 21x12 fat city tyre

3483 - used in basic, etc...

2346 - used in basic, etc...

45982 - tyre baloon 81,6x39 I remember having really hard ones and than getting much softer ones later.

I have the smoother ones from sets I got in the early 90's. The have been on the original rims ever since. Until recently, taking the rims to mess with for ideas, the rims are now a little soft. Oh well, they still work as a tyre.