Brickwright

[MOC] AT-ST

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi everyone, This is my version of the AT-ST. It's very fragile, but I'm happy with how it looks. While building it, I poured over source materials from the ILM models, replicas of those, and the old reference books. It has an interior and seats two minifigs. It borrows some elements from past walkers (both official and fanmade), which are noted below the images.

Flickr Album

Instructions

Readme and Parts List

14855271914_093c36748e.jpg

Edited by Brickwright

Great job, Brickwright!

The proportions are great, and I like how we can see elements of so many different iterations of this iconic walker.

The feet are especially awesome; they look almost like the real thing!

How many minifigs does it fit?

Looks great! I am working on one also, having trouble fitting two figures in it though.. Too bad you can't open your top hatch, but i guess that makes it wookie proof :wink:

Thanks everybody!

Look good, I really like the cabin.

Thanks. The side control panels (below the viewports) came together late in the build, but it's better than the empty space that was there before.

The proportions are great, and I like how we can see elements of so many different iterations of this iconic walker.

The feet are especially awesome; they look almost like the real thing!

Thanks for saying that. The feet and overall proportions were two elements that I was skeptical about. The head has a tendency to look a little large depending on the angle (The first 3/4 shot in the album is ideal compared to the other more disproportionate looking 3/4 shot of its left side) so I had to be careful when taking pictures.

Looks great! I am working on one also, having trouble fitting two figures in it though.. Too bad you can't open your top hatch, but i guess that makes it wookie proof :wink:

The two figures sit side-by-side symmetrically, but because of the taper of the sides, they do sit facing slightly towards the center, rather than straight ahead. I do like this better anyway; it seems a little different. The minifigs ending up sitting higher than I initially planned, since the higher they sit, the more room for their arms there is.

Aesthetically, the hatch is probably the weakest point, even aside from its lack of functionality. The wings that make up the roof nix any possibility of punching through. But yes, it does deter any would-be hijackers. :classic: I might revisit it with a different approach, because the ability to have a minifig looking out from the top would be nice.

Really great Job on the AT-ST!

Looks absolut original and have nice details!

The interio is nice too but i think the head plate is a little bit to angular and simpley but the rest is :thumbup: :thumbup:

markus

I was wondering if those are some ball joints connecting the side panels, because that's a great technique!

This looks fantastic! The proportions and detail and incredible for this scale. The AT-ST has always been my favorite SW vehicle, so it's nice to see a LEGO model of it finally well-designed considering how poorly LEGO's official releases have been.

I know it would be difficult but I would kill for an LDD file! Your model is gorgeous and would look fantastic in any Endor display.

Great model ! I have made roof, left and right sidewalls same proportions like this model. But I can not make front wall like yours (2x2 tile expecially),how do you put together side walls, where are the hinge locations. Please help !! :grin:

Looks great! :thumbup: I love all the clean lines, minimal gaps, and complex angles you've been able to work into the 'head.'

This is really well done! Everything looks to be in proportion which is difficult to do given the source is such a weedy object. Excellent job!

Thanks everyone, I wasn't expecting this thread to hang around this long. :classic:

I was wondering if those are some ball joints connecting the side panels, because that's a great technique!

They are indeed ball joints! After messing with conventional hinges to get the right position, the rigidity, simplicity, and range of motion of the ball joint just made so much more sense than anything I had figured out. They need to be lined back up sometimes, but it is still better than the alternative. Plus, the hinges themselves sit behind the seats in such a way that they look like backrests.

It looks awesome! the only downside would be its fragility but for display purposes it shouldn't matter.

Exactly. My models don't get moved much and I don't go to shows or anything, so for my purposes it works out okay. I dig your username, by the way, I totally get it.

For montyofmusic and tilko:

I don't have LDD, but I started using Bricksmith and LPub on my last project, the Y-wing. In the same way, I've produced instructions and readme/parts list for this model. It has some important details about the missing 3mm hose at the end of the build (LSynth doesn't work well for me), hinge angles, the inside-out tire, and the part IDs for the decorated elements that are not in Bricksmith. I tried to be as verbose as possible in the Readme and these two docs should tell you everything you need to know about how it fits together, but if you have any other questions, let me know!

Instructions

Readme and Parts List

Edited by Brickwright

Very nice, very clean look.

Thanks also for sharing the parts list & instructions; always appreciated :-)

Thank you for the instructions! I will have to add this to your y-wing! One of my favorite mocs.

Edited by Schneeds

I building mine, yes cabin is pretty sturdy, unfortunately i do not have two technic hinge balls (I have one) and I juse Plate 1x2 with ball it is 1 stud waider in back wall, but others walls are the same, with this I manage to get a little room behind drivers, where they keep their blasters.

Edited by tilko