mccoyed

Age of Mitgardia - Stables Phase 3 - Muninn Garrison

14891159463_a5c4f372d2_z.jpg

It is summer, eleven years after Eidrin first brought the eggs to Muninn Ranch, Bergir and Meiken are long gone to the Gods. With the recent rumors of war and mounting tensions throughout Historica, the authorities have stationed a garrison at the ranch to protect the chobos as a military resource. The idyllic sanctuary that Muninn once was has all but disappeared.

14684610980_2b9c3bf59a_z.jpg

Even the homely house once kept by Maiken is now a bunkhouse for soldiers.

14868830144_3cfcaf4700_z.jpg

Eidrin has grown into middle age and assumed the position of stablemaster of Muninn Ranch. He has regular meetings with Captain Rangvald, the officer in charge of the garrison at Muninn. His family still lives in their home a few miles away but are at Muninn frequently to help the soldiers care for the chobo. They don't always agree about how to go about it, hence the meetings.

14684608970_91dece6eab_z.jpg

Eindal, a gentle boy who's grown up close to chobos and more at home with them than other people much of the time, protests as one of the warriors eagerly attempts to lasso a young chobo called Solvi. Eindal has much of the instincts and manner that Bergir believed make for a fine chobo rancher. Eidrin thinks his son will one day be twice the rancher he is.

14684651169_419fc830f3_z.jpg

Meanwhile, Helva and Hurin approach Captain Rangvald's second in command in hopes of joining the army. Thyra, her mother and Eidrin's wife, attempts to dissuade her, not wanting to see her family torn apart. Helva is a woman grown now and has lost none of her mischief or thirst for adventure. She grips her axe and sling tightly, as if just bearing arms makes her an armswoman.

14870954462_bc2791670b_z.jpg

The soldiers are mostly happy to ignore Eidrin's family and get on with the business of eating, training, and protecting their garrison.

14684652349_ec52ce8fe6_z.jpg

Too big now for any of the pens at Muninn Ranch, Kensley has a visit with Unnolt, the first to hatch from the eggs Eidrin brought here all those years ago. Chobos bond closely with their own, even if they're not born family.

14871286955_b05557c1a6_z.jpg

Unbeknownst to either chobo, Eidrin and Captain Rangvald are even now discussing Kensley's fate. Eidrin and Kensley are old friends, but he knows that the chobo is getting too big for the ranch and must be moved on to a proper home where he can be trained alongside other chobo as mounts in war.

Rangvald shows Eidrin the order to draft Kensley and asks him to sign. Both men know that this day will come for all the chobo at Muninn. Neither suspects that the day has also come for Eidrin's firstborn daughter...

Thanks for having a look. My notion here was to show passage of time both by changing the landscape and by showing a different season and the characters from previous MOCs after time has passed on. I hope that building directly onto a previous Phase doesn't disqualify this build or anything.

I'm not sure I did a great job with the photos here as this is the biggest MOC I've done. I decided to post nearly all the photos here, but there are a few more at my flickr. This was my first time building masonry stonework in a MOC really and I'm not sure the technique I chose works as well as I'd like. Other than that, I'm happiest with the story of these builds and probably the landscaping of this one in particular. I won't be making trees like these ones again... too boring!

This will close out my chobo builds for the time being. I know it's on a sad note and all, but we'll see what happens when the Civil War threatens proud Mitgardia.

C&C is welcome as always!

Edited by mccoyed

A very nice evolution of your last build. I like the chobos, as well as the interiors and landscaping.

Thanks for having a look. My notion here was to show passage of time both by changing the landscape and by showing a different season and the characters from previous MOCs after time has passed on. I hope that building directly onto a previous Phase doesn't disqualify this build or anything.

I hope that's allowed, as I'm planning to do the same for my Tower phases (and possibly more categories, due to limited supply as well as the concept I've got for many kinda depend on those categories showing a single location thru all 3 phases)

I like this a lot, the changing seasons, altered decor & additional building work well with the aging family to show the passage of time. And the chobos are a delight! Sad to see them retire temporarily, but that will make it all the more enjoyable when they return! :laugh:

edit: fixed a typo

Edited by Venkefedo

Really beautiful moc man,the wooden base really adds to it, and I think containing parts from previous phases is allowed as long as you add more content to make the final entry bigger. Not sure tho. Well done! :thumbup:

Excellent finish to your Stables Phases. The new building on the right looks very good, especially the roof :thumbup:

Nice spring landscape and the chobos are cute as always. I like the texture of the path by the fire too :classic:

Great to see the serie finished! I love the idea of this chobos! I really like those houses! Well done!

This is an all around great final entry! I have no suggestions for improvement. Just a request for more Chocobos! Can't wait to see more of your story.

A very nice evolution of your last build. I like the chobos, as well as the interiors and landscaping.

Thanks, Scaevola!

It looks awesome, I love the buildings but that tree though! *huh*

I know, I know. I didn't want to redesign it and break continuity with the other build but it looks even worse here than it did in the previous Phase. :P

[/size]

I hope that's allowed, as I'm planning to do the same for my Tower phases (and possibly more categories, due to limited supply as well as the concept I've got for many kinda depend on those categories showing a single location thru all 3 phases)

I like this a lot, the changing seasons, altered decor & additional building work well with the aging family to show the passage of time. And the chobos are a delight! Sad to see them retire temporarily, but that will make it all the more enjoyable when they return! :laugh:

edit: fixed a typo

I have some ideas for this family (or at least some members) as well as the chobos. We'll see what happens in the Mitgardian civil war.

Really beautiful moc man,the wooden base really adds to it, and I think containing parts from previous phases is allowed as long as you add more content to make the final entry bigger. Not sure tho. Well done! :thumbup:

Thanks man!

I was hoping doing it bigger (there's 2 more 16x16 plates added) and changing the seasons and some of the landscaping to reflect passage of time would do if there was any issue building off the previous phase.

Really cool- nice to see this continuing!

Thanks LV!

Excellent finish to your Stables Phases. The new building on the right looks very good, especially the roof :thumbup:

Nice spring landscape and the chobos are cute as always. I like the texture of the path by the fire too :classic:

Thanks SK! Careful calling the chobos cute... they will peck you. :P

Great to see the serie finished! I love the idea of this chobos! I really like those houses! Well done!

Thanks DG. I'll be working on my own spin on Norse-influenced architecture going forward. These were actually my first houses/buildings for GoH.

Those animals are hilarious! :classic:

Shhhhhhh! They might hear you say that!

Excellent conclusion to the series mccoyed. :sweet:

Thanks!

This is an all around great final entry! I have no suggestions for improvement. Just a request for more Chocobos! Can't wait to see more of your story.

Thanks MKJoshA. If I can sneak 'em into the civil war builds, I will! I hope others will try building them in other guilds as per the color variations and stuff. I've thought about doing a series showing different chobos in different lands but think it'd be fun for others to try!

Great build and story!

Thanks Gideon!

I love this, and the chobos are great!

I'm glad everybody loves the chobos so much. It's thus very unlikely they'll devour me and use my bones to build their nests.

I love the idea of how it all started and how the current situation is! The evolution has been very nicely showed by MOC's!!

I hope to see more of these munnin's in the future when they are needed!

Edited by Maxim I