Are there any useful guides / guidelines regarding dyeing LEGO parts?

In particular Minifigure parts?

Any products to avoid? Any methods better than others?

Thanks!

RIT dye (buy the powder) works great.

Hands don't dye anywhere near as good as torsos, heads and legs. Neither do soft parts (like handcuffs).

RIT dye (buy the powder) works great.

Hands don't dye anywhere near as good as torsos, heads and legs. Neither do soft parts (like handcuffs).

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I tried RIT and tried to dye a head -- used the powder, but didn't really take that well. Not sure if I was doing something wrong?

Following an article I read on the web, I boiled some water, stuck the head in a container poured the powder, let it sit and removed. Nada...

But again perhaps I my process is totally off? I've heard of people also using the Oven, but that sounds a bit hardcore for me -- (plus I'm pretty sure my wife will not be a fan of that method)...

You can try keeping the water warm ~70 degrees (cover it and stick it in the microwave), or halving the amount of water you use to make up the dye.

Another trick if it doesn't work is to use about 10% acetone / nail varnish cleaner. That is not enough to destroy surface of the elements. The print will also remain too.

The time could be anywhere between 2 and 30 minutes. It can be a pain if you want consistency of colour.

You can try keeping the water warm ~70 degrees (cover it and stick it in the microwave), or halving the amount of water you use to make up the dye.

Another trick if it doesn't work is to use about 10% acetone / nail varnish cleaner. That is not enough to destroy surface of the elements. The print will also remain too.

The time could be anywhere between 2 and 30 minutes. It can be a pain if you want consistency of colour.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely try the acetone method next time.

Also if you are using acetone, add it to cold water / dye mix first, then heat.

Also if you are using acetone, add it to cold water / dye mix first, then heat.

Thanks again, good to know. Will def. try it out -- hopefully this weekend. Will report my findings if I get a chance to do another run.