Sign in to follow this  
Tech Artist

Modified Set 21110 Research Institute

Decided to modify set 21110 Research Institute. The vignette's were great but not so great for displaying.

Chemist Modification - Added a 6x2 plate. Placed Lab drawers part on top and then 6 flat tiles on the rest of it. Rest matches box art except placement of Minifig.

Didn't have parts to add 1x1 plate nicely:

14629146960_5e5e63467c_c.jpg

Paleontologist Modification - Started as a 6x6 plate with Microscope and Minifig being separate. Added on another 4 studs. Put Microscope in corner as well as added flat tiles:

14629194939_0e3182d08f_c.jpg

Astronomer Modification - Added a 1x1 plate to hold Minifig:

14812773681_768f139e74_c.jpg

Astronomer Modification with Minfig:

14835692023_3c87e71f4b_c.jpg

Edited by Tech Artist

Yeah, there's always room for a bit of tweaking :classic:

Nice one.

Keep putting those bricks together!

Decided to modify set 21110 Research Institute. The vignette's were great but not so great for displaying.

Chemist Modification - Added a 6x2 plate. Placed Lab drawers part on top and then 6 flat tiles on the rest of it. Rest matches box art except placement of Minifig.

Didn't have parts to add 1x1 plate nicely:

14629146960_5e5e63467c_c.jpg

Paleontologist Modification - Started as a 6x6 plate with Microscope and Minifig being separate. Added on another 4 studs. Put Microscope in corner as well as added flat tiles:

14629194939_0e3182d08f_c.jpg

Astronomer Modification - Added a 1x1 plate to hold Minifig:

14812773681_768f139e74_c.jpg

Astronomer Modification with Minfig:

14835692023_3c87e71f4b_c.jpg

Since you took the trouble to add a stud for the astronomer why not then also for the chemist?

Built this set this evening with my 7 year old daughter. She already has a very anaytical mind and is an independent thinker. She ended exclaiming she wanted to be a scientest too when she is older. I think tihis is a testomony to the original designer and TLG! And yes, she also plays with Friends and Princess LEGO so imagine my relief her mind had not been poisoned by all those pinks and purples haha! Diversity rules!

FINALLY found this set yesterday in Nashville while on a business trip. It was the last one at the store there. Phew!

Just built it and love it. It does display better with larger plates; I am thinking of combining all three vignettes into a one plate build.

This looks excellent! Thanks for the photos.

Now we just need to keep the Research Institute line going with RI Two...maybe an oceanologist, zoologist, and physicist. Everyone in our family has a science degree, and we need to promote the study of science in a world where almost no one understands how anything remotely scientific operates.

Since you took the trouble to add a stud for the astronomer why not then also for the chemist?

Built this set this evening with my 7 year old daughter. She already has a very anaytical mind and is an independent thinker. She ended exclaiming she wanted to be a scientest too when she is older. I think this is a testomony to the original designer and TLG! And yes, she also plays with Friends and Princess LEGO so imagine my relief her mind had not been poisoned by all those pinks and purples haha! Diversity rules!

He mentioned it -- he didn't have the parts to add a stud for the chemist.

Why would pinks and purples poison one's mind? They are just colors. Even colors found in the natural world! (Flowers, fingerbeds, burst blood vessels under the skin)

Legogal: What kind of scenes do you see for these?

Oceanologist -- a fig in a snorkeling suit with a whale? Maybe "hung" with some sort of thread to make them look like they are swimming.

A zoologist -- would look either like a farmer or put them with a microscope and a animal in a cage close by?

Physicist -- My experience of physics was mostly doing calculations on paper. Maybe a ball and slope? Or something else to represent forces?

I've build a small linear accelerator to expand my Research Institute (modeled after one in our lab: National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory at Michigan State University)

infinityman,

What a cool accelerator! I love accessories like that...forget the purses and other bling!

Sarah,

Like your examples of vignettes for RI Two. The dissections of animals is big in biology labs, so frogs and rabbits come to mind among other critters. (Sorry PETA folks.)

The oceanologist could do things with LEGO fish, sharks, whittles, crabs, lobsters, coral, and other underwater plants. Would be great to hang her from above like she was suspended in the water.

The physicist would be using some large machines like the above accelerator to test theories and of course the proverbial white board covered with long equations.

A herpetologist studying snakes, etc, would also be a fun build.

A microbiologist testing for Ebola would be timely for sure.

A physician looking for a cure for dementia could use the bald and gray haired heads for subject seniors.

The soil scientist with a scope trying to identify pathogens in dirt.

The oenologist tasting barrels and bottles of wine, etc.

And many, many more. Pull some new gal torsos out of the hat and let her rip!

(I spent so much of my undergrad biology/chemistry time in labs that this is an easy assignment!)

I'm really glad Lego produced the RI. The booklet included with the set was informative, and helped my daughter see science professions from a different POV. My daughter's big thing is to become a marine biologist. Up to this point, all she knew about marine biology was what she had seen in the Dolphin Tale flicks and Discovery Channels Shark Week. So, we researched marine biologist careers to get a better understanding. Then, using the wetsuit gal from the Mixer, dolphins from the Friends cruiser, flippers from the Friends lifeguard station, we started building a little vignette of our own. Enjoying quality time with my daughter, learning together, having fun with Lego. Probably some of the best $$ I spent on a Lego set.