Sign in to follow this  
Rail Co

Cracking/Crumbling 9v Transformer to Track Wire?

Hello Train Tech! My Transformer to Track wire for my 9v system is cracking all over and falling apart causing the positive and negative wires touch so I am not able to use my 9v trains right now... Has anyone had this problem and have a fix (without using electrical tape). I am thinking if there is a way to rewire it with new wires?

If anyone has ideas or has had this problem before it be much appreciated if you had a fix!

Thanks Guys!

-RailCo

My memory on this is that there are 2 versions of the cable. One fleet quit plasticky and the other more rubbery. One of them had this issue when allowed to dry out. The only solution is to pick up a replacement from ebay or brick link. I guess it may be possiblmto dismantle the connectors and solder in a new wire but it won't be easy

Rail Co,

I think this is a common problem with the older Mindstorms Cables, as almost all of my wires, 10 years or older are all 'falling apart' Fixing them as kieran said ""it won't be easy" ( I've tried )

I also agree with him, just purchase new ones, the newer ones are more reliable now.

The only problem is this is the wire that connects from the transformer TO the track using clips... Thanks though

Maybe you can share an image, that way we can even better understand the exact problem and might be able to help out!

Happend with one of mine, I just binned it about bought another. They are not that costly off Bricklink.

Looks like new is $10-15 and used is $5-6 on bricklink. You can ask the seller the condition if you want to be sure before buying.

If the prices ever go through the roof, you could probably take apart the connectors and replace all of the wires, or just come up with a new connection to the rail.

you can just solder the wires to the rail i do that on my main layout to the 9v square lego plug.

I think what zephyr1934 says is the best option (actually are the best two options)!

Like all of my Technic wire is gradually turning into this mess... though it's not quite as bad as those greasy, crumbling tires they made for a while in the 00s. That being said, it looks to me that it might be possible to non-destructively dismantle the connectors and solder new wire to the contacts. It's probably not any more difficult than opening up the 9v motors, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.